* Helvetica Neue and Snow Leopard
@ 2009-08-31  4:37 Brian R. Landy
From: Brian R. Landy @ 2009-08-31  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I've run into a problem using Helvetica Neue on a Mac under Snow
Leopard.  The font is provided by Apple and was a dfont package on
10.5, now it is a ttc.  I am getting garbled and funny text using it.
An example is --

\usetypescriptfile[type-mac]
\usetypescript[helvetica-neue]
\setupbodyfont[helvetica-neue,sans,10pt]
\starttext
{\bf Hello World, 1234567890\par}
{Hello World, 1234567890\par}
\stoptext

I am attaching pdfs that show the correct (from Leopard) and incorrect
output.  Both systems are running ConTeXt 2009.08.19 (actually I just
updated to 2009.08.30 with no help, this is using minimals) and LuaTeX
beta-0.43.0-2009081811.  The bold font gets the letters correct but it
looks terrible; normal sans text is completely garbled.  I have
reloaded my font database but it didn't help.

Thanks,
Brian

[-- Attachment #2: bad.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: good.pdf --]

* Re: Helvetica Neue and Snow Leopard
@ 2009-08-31 20:53 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-08-31 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 31.08.2009 um 06:37 schrieb Brian R. Landy:

> Hi, I've run into a problem using Helvetica Neue on a Mac under Snow
> Leopard.  The font is provided by Apple and was a dfont package on
> 10.5, now it is a ttc.

What should we say, LuaTeX gets dfont support and Apple convert most
of their
fonts from dfont to ttc.

> I am getting garbled and funny text using it.

It seems to be a problem with ttc-fonts in ConTeXt (unrelated to
typescripts),
here is a shorter example:

\starttext
\char65 {\definedfont[name:helveticaneue]\char65}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Helvetica Neue and Snow Leopard
@ 2009-09-01  3:22   ` Brian R. Landy
From: Brian R. Landy @ 2009-09-01  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 31, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 31.08.2009 um 06:37 schrieb Brian R. Landy:
>
>> Hi, I've run into a problem using Helvetica Neue on a Mac under
>> Snow Leopard.  The font is provided by Apple and was a dfont
>> package on 10.5, now it is a ttc.
>
> What should we say, LuaTeX gets dfont support and Apple convert most
> of their
> fonts from dfont to ttc.

At least they left a few around so it wasn't completely wasted effort :)

>> I am getting garbled and funny text using it.
>
> It seems to be a problem with ttc-fonts in ConTeXt (unrelated to
> typescripts),
> here is a shorter example:
>
> \starttext
> \char65 {\definedfont[name:helveticaneue]\char65}
> \stoptext

Is there a location that I could put the dfont file (and I also have
access to HelveticaNeue in a set of otf files) that would override
ConTeXt locating Apple's ttc, but not be visible to OS X?

Thanks,
Brian

@ 2009-09-01  8:16     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-09-01  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.09.2009 um 05:22 schrieb Brian R. Landy:

>> What should we say, LuaTeX gets dfont support and Apple convert
>> most of their
>> fonts from dfont to ttc.
>
> At least they left a few around so it wasn't completely wasted
> effort :)

It don't say it's wasted effort because there are many people with Mac
OS 10.5.

>>> I am getting garbled and funny text using it.
>>
>> It seems to be a problem with ttc-fonts in ConTeXt (unrelated to
>> typescripts),
>> here is a shorter example:
>
> Is there a location that I could put the dfont file (and I also have
> access to HelveticaNeue in a set of otf files) that would override
> ConTeXt locating Apple's ttc, but not be visible to OS X?

Can you check if your Helvetica fonts have the same names as the
system fonts,
I have also my own Helvetica but they have different names (and
styles :) and can
be used without problems because of this.

Wolfgang

* Re: Helvetica Neue and Snow Leopard
@ 2009-09-01  8:30     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-09-01  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.09.2009 um 05:22 schrieb Brian R. Landy:

> Is there a location that I could put the dfont file (and I also have
> access to HelveticaNeue in a set of otf files) that would override
> ConTeXt locating Apple's ttc, but not be visible to OS X?

Till ttc-fonts are fixed you can take the dfont-files from leopard and
save
them in your TeX directory, ConTeXt will use these fonts first and you
get
the correct output in MkIV.

Wolfgang

* Re: Helvetica Neue and Snow Leopard
@ 2009-09-03 19:26       ` Brian R. Landy
From: Brian R. Landy @ 2009-09-03 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the long delay in replying.

mtxrun doesn't seem to find the fonts when I put them under my TeX
tree.  I tried a few different places.  If I place them in
~/Library/Fonts, it does use them, although the System ttc file
overrides my local dfont.  Is there something else I need to do to add
them in the main Tex tree (using minimals)?  I'm rerunning mtxrun, of
course.

Per your other message (for your interest), I've attached the list of
the other Helvetica fonts I have.

Best regards,
Brian

Quoting Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:

> Am 01.09.2009 um 05:22 schrieb Brian R. Landy:
>
>> Is there a location that I could put the dfont file (and I also
>> have access to HelveticaNeue in a set of otf files) that would
>> override ConTeXt locating Apple's ttc, but not be visible to OS X?
>
> Till ttc-fonts are fixed you can take the dfont-files from leopard and save
> them in your TeX directory, ConTeXt will use these fonts first and you get
> the correct output in MkIV.
>
> Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: helveticaneue.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 7060 bytes --]

helveticaneueblack                HelveticaNeue-Black                  /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-Black.otf
helveticaneueblackcond            HelveticaNeue-BlackCond              /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-BlackCond.otf
helveticaneueblackcondensed       HelveticaNeue-BlackCond              /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-BlackCond.otf
helveticaneueblackcondobl         HelveticaNeue-BlackCondObl           /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-BlackCondObl.otf
helveticaneueblackext             HelveticaNeue-BlackExt               /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-BlackExt.otf
helveticaneueblackextobl          HelveticaNeue-BlackExtObl            /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-BlackExtObl.otf
helveticaneueblackitalic          HelveticaNeue-BlackItalic            /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-BlackItalic.otf
helveticaneueboldcond             HelveticaNeue-BoldCond               /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-BoldCond.otf
helveticaneueboldcondensed        HelveticaNeue-BoldCond               /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-BoldCond.otf
helveticaneueboldcondobl          HelveticaNeue-BoldCondObl            /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-BoldCondObl.otf
helveticaneueboldext              HelveticaNeue-BoldExt                /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-BoldExt.otf
helveticaneueboldextobl           HelveticaNeue-BoldExtObl             /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-BoldExtObl.otf
helveticaneuebolditalicotf        HelveticaNeue-BoldItalicotf          /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-BoldItalic.otf
helveticaneueboldotf              HelveticaNeue-Boldotf                /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-Bold.otf
helveticaneueboldoutline          HelveticaNeue-BoldOutline            /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-BoldOutline.otf
helveticaneuecondensed            HelveticaNeue-Condensed              /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-Condensed.otf
helveticaneuecondensedobl         HelveticaNeue-CondensedObl           /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-CondensedObl.otf
helveticaneueextblackcond         HelveticaNeue-ExtBlackCond           /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-ExtBlackCond.otf
helveticaneueextblackcondensed    HelveticaNeue-ExtBlackCond           /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-ExtBlackCond.otf
helveticaneueextblackcondobl      HelveticaNeue-ExtBlackCondObl        /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-ExtBlkCondObl.otf
helveticaneueextended             HelveticaNeue-Extended               /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-Extended.otf
helveticaneueextendedobl          HelveticaNeue-ExtendedObl            /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-ExtendedObl.otf
helveticaneueheavy                HelveticaNeue-Heavy                  /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-Heavy.otf
helveticaneueheavycond            HelveticaNeue-HeavyCond              /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-HeavyCond.otf
helveticaneueheavycondensed       HelveticaNeue-HeavyCond              /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-HeavyCond.otf
helveticaneueheavycondobl         HelveticaNeue-HeavyCondObl           /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-HeavyCondObl.otf
helveticaneueheavyext             HelveticaNeue-HeavyExt               /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-HeavyExt.otf
helveticaneueheavyextobl          HelveticaNeue-HeavyExtObl            /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-HeavyExtObl.otf
helveticaneueheavyitalic          HelveticaNeue-HeavyItalic            /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-HeavyItalic.otf
helveticaneueitalicotf            HelveticaNeue-Italicotf              /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-Italic.otf
helveticaneuelightcond            HelveticaNeue-LightCond              /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-LightCond.otf
helveticaneuelightcondensed       HelveticaNeue-LightCond              /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-LightCond.otf
helveticaneuelightcondobl         HelveticaNeue-LightCondObl           /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-LightCondObl.otf
helveticaneuelightext             HelveticaNeue-LightExt               /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-LightExt.otf
helveticaneuelightextobl          HelveticaNeue-LightExtObl            /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-LightExtObl.otf
helveticaneuelightitalicotf       HelveticaNeue-LightItalicotf         /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-LightItalic.otf
helveticaneuelightotf             HelveticaNeue-Lightotf               /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-Light.otf
helveticaneuemedium               HelveticaNeue-Medium                 /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-Medium.otf
helveticaneuemediumcond           HelveticaNeue-MediumCond             /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-MediumCond.otf
helveticaneuemediumcondensed      HelveticaNeue-MediumCond             /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-MediumCond.otf
helveticaneuemediumcondobl        HelveticaNeue-MediumCondObl          /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-MediumCondObl.otf
helveticaneuemediumext            HelveticaNeue-MediumExt              /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-MediumExt.otf
helveticaneuemediumextobl         HelveticaNeue-MediumExtObl           /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-MediumExtObl.otf
helveticaneuemediumitalic         HelveticaNeue-MediumItalic           /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-MediumItalic.otf
helveticaneueroman                HelveticaNeue-Roman                  /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-Roman.otf
helveticaneuethin                 HelveticaNeue-Thin                   /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-Thin.otf
helveticaneuethincond             HelveticaNeue-ThinCond               /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-ThinCond.otf
helveticaneuethincondensed        HelveticaNeue-ThinCond               /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-ThinCond.otf
helveticaneuethincondobl          HelveticaNeue-ThinCondObl            /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-ThinCondObl.otf
helveticaneuethinext              HelveticaNeue-ThinExt                /Users/brlandy/Library/Fonts/myhelvetica/HelveticaNeue-ThinExt.otf

* Re: Helvetica Neue and Snow Leopard
@ 2009-09-03 20:20         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-09-03 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.09.2009 um 21:26 schrieb Brian R. Landy:

> Sorry for the long delay in replying.
>
> mtxrun doesn't seem to find the fonts when I put them under my TeX
> tree.  I tried a few different places.  If I place them in ~/Library/
> Fonts, it does use them, although the System ttc file overrides my
> local dfont.  Is there something else I need to do to add them in
> the main Tex tree (using minimals)?  I'm rerunning mtxrun, of course.

Let ConTeXt know there are new files -> luatools --generate

rover:~ wolf$ luatools helveticaneue.dfont
/Users/wolf/context/tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/truetype/leopard/
HelveticaNeue.dfont

Wolfgang

* Re: Helvetica Neue and Snow Leopard
@ 2009-09-05 20:38         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-09-05 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian R. Landy wrote:
> Sorry for the long delay in replying.
>
> mtxrun doesn't seem to find the fonts when I put them under my TeX
> tree.  I tried a few different places.  If I place them in
> ~/Library/Fonts, it does use them, although the System ttc file
> overrides my local dfont.  Is there something else I need to do to add
> them in the main Tex tree (using minimals)?  I'm rerunning mtxrun, of
> course.

i cannot test it as i have no Snow L

> Per your other message (for your interest), I've attached the list of
> the other Helvetica fonts I have.

maybe names.tma in the luatex mkiv cache provides a clue

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE