* First report on use
@ 2009-09-16 10:06 Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2009-09-16 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi!

After discovering some details of ConTeXt during EuroTeX2009 I decided
to try it.

First problem, already encountered during EuroTeX: installation.
On both of my machines the installation of the minimals failed.
See attached file.
For example: lines 13-14 rsync error, but at lines 26-30 it looks like
it works, just a moment: after 30-35 I get 36-37 = error again.
On lines 77-80 there is another type of error.

But I installed ConTeXt from a copy of what Mari had on her portable
(this brings other questions, later); so it works for now.

But still in the error file, looking at lines 97-98 and 99-100, for
example, what is the installation program changing in my mikTeX
installation?

-------
Now for the working installation.
1) As it was taken from Mari machine, isn't there possible problems with
parameters from her machine which are not the same on mine?
2) How can update and/or create new formats?

I am using ConTeXt with TeXworks; I did install a full copy of TeXworks
(programs and dlls) in
C:\Programmes\ConTeXt\texmf-context\context\data\texworks and I issue
the setuptex.bat command before to start the ConTeXt TeXworks. (You can
see that I installed ConTeXt in a folder without spaces in the name:
C:\Programmes\ConTeXt\.)

I am only using Mark IV, following the suggestion of Hans (for French,...)
So I didn't install Ruby.

OK the next questions will be about documentation, in another message.

Thanks very much for ConTeXt (and again for EuroTeX2009 - it was very good).

Regards,

Alain

[-- Attachment #2: fsetup-err.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 9973 bytes --]

Microsoft Windows XP [version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Principal>cd c:\context

C:\context>first-setup
'ruby' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.

You need to install Ruby first (if you want to use pdfTeX or XeTeX).
Fetching files anyway.

rsync: failed to connect to contextgarden.net: Connection refused (111)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [receiver=3.0.2
]
MTXrun | fileio: variable SELFAUTOLOC set to C:/context/bin
MTXrun | fileio: variable SELFAUTODIR set to C:/context
MTXrun | fileio: variable SELFAUTOPARENT set to C:
MTXrun | fileio: variable TEXMFCNF set to {$SELFAUTODIR,$SELFAUTOPARENT}{,{/shar
e,}/texmf{-local,.local,}/web2c}
MTXrun | fileio: no cnf files found (TEXMFCNF may not be set/known)
MTXrun | using script: ./bin/mtx-update.lua

MTXrun | state: loaded
MTXrun | update: start
MTXrun | mtx update: running command: rsync -rpztlv --stats  contextgarden.net::
'minimals/current/bin/common/mswin/ minimals/current/bin/context/mswin/ minimals
/current/bin/metapost/mswin/ minimals/current/bin/man/ minimals/current/bin/xete
x/mswin/ minimals/current/bin/luatex/mswin/ minimals/current/bin/pdftex/mswin/'
'/cygdrive/C/context/tex/texmf-mswin'
MTXrun | run: rsync -rpztlv --stats  contextgarden.net::'minimals/current/bin/co
mmon/mswin/ minimals/current/bin/context/mswin/ minimals/current/bin/metapost/ms
win/ minimals/current/bin/man/ minimals/current/bin/xetex/mswin/ minimals/curren
t/bin/luatex/mswin/ minimals/current/bin/pdftex/mswin/' '/cygdrive/C/context/tex
/texmf-mswin'
rsync: failed to connect to contextgarden.net: Connection refused (111)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [receiver=3.0.2
]
MTXrun | mtx update: running command: rsync -rpztlv --stats  contextgarden.net::
'minimals/current/misc/setuptex/' '/cygdrive/C/context/tex/.'
MTXrun | run: rsync -rpztlv --stats  contextgarden.net::'minimals/current/misc/s
etuptex/' '/cygdrive/C/context/tex/.'
rsync: failed to connect to contextgarden.net: Connection refused (111)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [receiver=3.0.2
]
MTXrun | mtx update: running command: rsync -rpztlv --stats --delete contextgard
en.net::'minimals/current/context/beta/ minimals/current/context/img/' '/cygdriv
e/C/context/tex/texmf-context'
MTXrun | run: rsync -rpztlv --stats --delete contextgarden.net::'minimals/curren
t/context/beta/ minimals/current/context/img/' '/cygdrive/C/context/tex/texmf-co
ntext'
rsync: failed to connect to contextgarden.net: Connection refused (111)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [receiver=3.0.2
]
MTXrun | mtx update: running command: rsync -rpztlv --stats --delete contextgard
en.net::'minimals/current/base/tex/ minimals/current/base/metapost/ minimals/cur
rent/fonts/common/ minimals/current/fonts/other/ minimals/current/misc/web2c min
imals/current/base/xetex/ minimals/current/fonts/new/ minimals/current/fonts/new
/ minimals/current/fonts/old/' '/cygdrive/C/context/tex/texmf'
MTXrun | run: rsync -rpztlv --stats --delete contextgarden.net::'minimals/curren
t/base/tex/ minimals/current/base/metapost/ minimals/current/fonts/common/ minim
als/current/fonts/other/ minimals/current/misc/web2c minimals/current/base/xetex
/ minimals/current/fonts/new/ minimals/current/fonts/new/ minimals/current/fonts
/old/' '/cygdrive/C/context/tex/texmf'
rsync: failed to connect to contextgarden.net: Connection refused (111)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [receiver=3.0.2
]
MTXrun | mtx update: updating luatools for mswin: rsync -t /cygdrive/C/context/t
ex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua/luatools.lua /cygdrive/C/context/tex/texmf-
mswin/bin/
MTXrun | run: rsync -t /cygdrive/C/context/tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua
/luatools.lua /cygdrive/C/context/tex/texmf-mswin/bin/
rsync: change_dir "/cygdrive/C/context/tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua" fa
iled: No such file or directory (2)
rsync: mkdir "/cygdrive/C/context/tex/texmf-mswin/bin" failed: No such file or d
irectory (2)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(567) [receiver=3.0.2]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(635) [sender=
3.0.2]
MTXrun | mtx update: updating mtxrun for mswin: rsync -t /cygdrive/C/context/tex
/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua/mtxrun.lua /cygdrive/C/context/tex/texmf-mswi
n/bin/
MTXrun | run: rsync -t /cygdrive/C/context/tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua
/mtxrun.lua /cygdrive/C/context/tex/texmf-mswin/bin/
rsync: change_dir "/cygdrive/C/context/tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua" fa
iled: No such file or directory (2)
rsync: mkdir "/cygdrive/C/context/tex/texmf-mswin/bin" failed: No such file or d
irectory (2)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(567) [receiver=3.0.2]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(635) [sender=
3.0.2]
MTXrun | update: done
MTXrun | make: start
MTXrun | run: mktexlsr
Deleting "C:\Documents and Settings\Principal\Local Settings\Application Data\Mi
KTeX\2.7\miktex\config\7afe967c027ed15e58f0b8f97c444e13.fndb"...
Creating "C:\Documents and Settings\Principal\Local Settings\Application Data\Mi
KTeX\2.7\miktex\config\7afe967c027ed15e58f0b8f97c444e13.fndb"...
Deleting "C:\Documents and Settings\Principal\Local Settings\Application Data\Mi
KTeX\2.7\miktex\config\546b4859866d245604134f95a0abad70.fndb"...
Creating "C:\Documents and Settings\Principal\Local Settings\Application Data\Mi
KTeX\2.7\miktex\config\546b4859866d245604134f95a0abad70.fndb"...
Scanning "C:\Documents and Settings\Principal\Local Settings\Application Data\Mi
KTeX\2.7\miktex"
Deleting "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\miktex
\config\432dc75d83112b0d90d51efff48eddc7.fndb"...
Creating "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\miktex
\config\432dc75d83112b0d90d51efff48eddc7.fndb"...
Scanning "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\dvipdf
m"
Scanning "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\dvips"

Scanning "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\fontco
nfig"
Scanning "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\fonts"

Scanning "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\miktex
"
Scanning "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\pdftex
"
Scanning "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\tex"
Deleting "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\miktex
\config\72e72a679f0c22a33c894114f0d9ed0e.fndb"...
Creating "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MiKTeX\2.7\miktex
\config\72e72a679f0c22a33c894114f0d9ed0e.fndb"...
Scanning "C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\bibtex"
Scanning "C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\doc"
^CTerminer le programme de commandes (O/N) ? o

C:\context>first-setup | > fsetup.txt
La syntaxe de la commande est incorrecte.

[...]
'luatools' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.
'texexec' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.
'context' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.
'texexec' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.
'texexec' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.
'luatools' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.
C:\context>

* Re: First report on use
@ 2009-09-17 12:52   ` Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2009-09-17 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Patrick Gundlach a écrit :
> Hello Alain,
>
>> C:\context>first-setup
>> 'ruby' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
>> ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.
>
> looks like you're missing "ruby".
I'll do not need Ruby and I think it is not necessary for installations!

>> You need to install Ruby first (if you want to use pdfTeX or XeTeX).
>> Fetching files anyway.
>> rsync: failed to connect to contextgarden.net: Connection refused (111)
>> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122)
>> [receiver=3.0.2
>
> As Vyatcheslav said: you're having problems connecting to
> contextgarden's rsync server. Perhaps you are behind a firewall?
I am not and I disabled all programs which could interfere.

But never mind (except for updating and for the general problem to have
an installer working for everybody).

Thanks,

Alain

* Re: First report on use
@ 2009-09-17  9:57 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2009-09-17  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Alain,

> C:\context>first-setup
> 'ruby' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
> ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.

looks like you're missing "ruby".

> You need to install Ruby first (if you want to use pdfTeX or XeTeX).
> Fetching files anyway.
> rsync: failed to connect to contextgarden.net: Connection refused
> (111)
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122)
> [receiver=3.0.2

As Vyatcheslav said: you're having problems connecting to
contextgarden's rsync server. Perhaps you are behind a firewall?

Patrick

* Re: First report on use
       [not found] <mailman.1793.1253180271.3069.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-09-17  9:46 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-09-17  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi!

Strange.

Do you use proxy? Any other peculiarity in your configuration?

Vyatcheslav

> It didn't work.
> After starting, an cmd window opened and I got 2 error messages:
> Update failed   Error code: 1
> Make failed     Error code:1
>
> So I keep my present version.

* Re: First report on use