* Documentation
@ 2009-09-16 14:54 Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2009-09-16 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi!

First, sorry to have sent the previous message twice. I didn't check for
the sending email, received a bounce, resent to discover it passed to
the list.

I have downloaded a great part of the documentation (59 files or so).
But if I understood well, there has been big changes between Mark II and
Mark IV/Lua.
The documentation seems more linked to MkII.

Is mk.pdf the file to use (in conjonction with another?)?

I like cont-eni.pdf but I'd like to have it as print not to be seen on
screen (old habit of work - or habit of work of old!!)

* Re: Documentation
@ 2009-09-17 12:04 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-17 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Alain Delmotte
<alain.delmotte@leliseron.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> First, sorry to have sent the previous message twice. I didn't check for the
> sending email, received a bounce, resent to discover it passed to the list.
>
> I have downloaded a great part of the documentation (59 files or so).
> But if I understood well, there has been big changes between Mark II and
> Mark IV/Lua.
> The documentation seems more linked to MkII.
>
> Is mk.pdf the file to use (in conjonction with another?)?
it's ok

> I like cont-eni.pdf but I'd like to have it as print not to be seen on
> screen (old habit of work - or habit of work of old!!)
there is a copy for print too.
google  http://www.pragma-ade.nl

Fore the rest

** U S E  T H E  W I K I  **,

this mailing list,

and stay in tune :)

--
luigi

* Re: Documentation
@ 2009-09-17 14:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-09-17 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alain Delmotte wrote:

> I have downloaded a great part of the documentation (59 files or so).
> But if I understood well, there has been big changes between Mark II and
> Mark IV/Lua.
> The documentation seems more linked to MkII.
>
> Is mk.pdf the file to use (in conjonction with another?)?

mk is the development history of luatex / mkiv till version 0.50; it
definitely shows some mkiv trickery but as we're mostly upward
compatible the wiki might be a better place to start

> I like cont-eni.pdf but I'd like to have it as print not to be seen on
> screen (old habit of work - or habit of work of old!!)

taco and i are thinking about a solution for providing printed manuals
at some point

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Documentation
@ 2009-09-18 12:30   ` Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2009-09-18 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen a écrit :
> Alain Delmotte wrote:
>
>> I have downloaded a great part of the documentation (59 files or so).
>> But if I understood well, there has been big changes between Mark II
>> and Mark IV/Lua.
>> The documentation seems more linked to MkII.
>>
>> Is mk.pdf the file to use (in conjonction with another?)?
>
> mk is the development history of luatex / mkiv till version 0.50; it
> definitely shows some mkiv trickery but as we're mostly upward
> compatible the wiki might be a better place to start
>
>> I like cont-eni.pdf but I'd like to have it as print not to be seen
>> on screen (old habit of work - or habit of work of old!!)
>
> taco and i are thinking about a solution for providing printed manuals
> at some point

Thanks,

Alain

> Hans

* Re: documentation
@ 2014-07-08 19:13   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2014-07-08 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 9:10 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> ···<date: 2014-07-07, Monday>···<from: Yuri Teixeira>···
>
>>                  For some reason (isp/dns/something) the contextgarden.net
>> has been unavailiable to me since yesterday even though some verification
>> sites show it up and some show it down (http://www.isitdownrightnow.com
>> been one of the later).
>
> Confirmed. The wiki server (wiki.contextgarden.net) does not
> respond to ICMP requests. I remember having used the wiki only
> yesterday so it could be temporary outage. The git server
> (git.contextgarden.net) is still running, though.

Only wiki, live and modules are down (plus tlcontrib). Minimals and
alike still work.

The domain contextgarden.net points to one server, but apache
redirects to another and that second one is down. This might explain
why verification sites show different results.

Only Taco has access to hardware.

Mojca

* Re: documentation
@ 2014-07-08 17:56   ` Yuri Teixeira
From: Yuri Teixeira @ 2014-07-08 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for the response. I'll keep this description in mind when looking
up stuff and contribute what I can in the wiki (which is still down for me).

YT

* Re: documentation
@ 2014-07-08  7:57 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-07-08  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/7/2014 8:51 PM, Yuri Teixeira wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm sorry this probably is a dumb question but I'm really lost in my
> searches. I'm new to context/tex and have been learning/finding
> information in the wiki at the contextgarden.net
> <http://contextgarden.net> for the past couple of weeks. Some of
> information there don't seem up to date but nothing unusual in an
> unofficial wiki. For some reason (isp/dns/something) the
> contextgarden.net <http://contextgarden.net> has been unavailiable to me
> since yesterday even though some verification sites show it up and some
> show it down (http://www..isitdownrightnow.com
> <http://www.isitdownrightnow.com> been one of the later). That got me
> wondering if there are easy official docs. I've seen the pdfs at
> pragma-ade.com <http://pragma-ade.com> but the most general ones I tried
> are from 1999 (ms-cb-en.pdf) and 2001 (cont-eni.pdf). Are these up to
> date with the current developments? I belive they are compatible but
> having seen examples of changes in the wiki I a little unsure.
> Furthermore, the parameter behavior description in the command reference
> seem a bit... dry. So here's my plea for a little bit more love for the
> documentation.
> In any way, thank you very much for an awesome language, I'm glad I
> researched thoroughly before jumping into latex.

When mechanisms in context are extended, we try to remain downward
compatible, at least in functionality. Therefore the old manuals are
normally okay (no need to fake updates with newer dates.) There are
however a few core mechanisms that are obsolete and/or changed and those
are input encodings (now always utf) and fonts (now always unicode - or
mapped to unicode - using features cf open type and more).

In practice input encodings and fonts have always been complex: what
input encoding to choose and what font encoding to use, then running
into availability of fonts, differences per language, differences per
user. A bit of installation nightmare and user support as soon as it
became less standard. By the time that had become easier (tex gyre and
lm project) the move to opentype was made so most of the documentation
had become somewhat obsolete.

So, when using old manuals, keep in mind that encodings, regimes and
fonts are less hassle now and no special commands are needed to use and
combine these properties.

In addition some mechanisms were extended and improved in mkiv
(sectioning and so) which means that there are additional ways to
configure them.

That leaves mechanisms that are completely redone. One example is
bibliographies, but users who need them will have no real problems
adapting and these come with new manuals.

Stick to mkiv. It's the one where the action takes place.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: documentation
@ 2014-07-07 19:10 ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2014-07-07 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

···<date: 2014-07-07, Monday>···<from: Yuri Teixeira>···

>                  For some reason (isp/dns/something) the contextgarden.net
> has been unavailiable to me since yesterday even though some verification
> sites show it up and some show it down (http://www.isitdownrightnow.com
> been one of the later).

Confirmed. The wiki server (wiki.contextgarden.net) does not
respond to ICMP requests. I remember having used the wiki only
yesterday so it could be temporary outage. The git server
(git.contextgarden.net) is still running, though.

Best,
Philipp

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* documentation
@ 2014-07-07 18:51 Yuri Teixeira
From: Yuri Teixeira @ 2014-07-07 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
I'm sorry this probably is a dumb question but I'm really lost in my
searches. I'm new to context/tex and have been learning/finding information
in the wiki at the contextgarden.net for the past couple of weeks. Some of
docs. I've seen the pdfs at pragma-ade.com but the most general ones I

@ 2002-03-08 15:42   ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2002-03-08 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>> I have tried to use the commands
>>
>> texutil --documents file.tex
>>
>> texexec file.ted
>>
>> On a number of modules and the texexec fails in a number of places the first
>> is usually
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> l.1 \startmodule
>>                 [type=tex]
>>
>> file in this case is core-tab.tex
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
> texexec --modu --pdf core-tab
>
> (the result from texutil needs a style)
>
> Hans
texexec is altogether cleverer than I thought one almost doesn't need
texutil independently. The only thing I regularly use texutil for is to
purge after using texexec. You might consider having the --purge switch in
texexec for use after compilation.
--
Nigel

* Re: Documentation
@ 2002-03-07 22:32 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-03-07 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:57 AM 3/7/2002 +0000, Nigel King wrote:
>I have tried to use the commands
>
>texutil --documents file.tex
>
>texexec file.ted
>
>On a number of modules and the texexec fails in a number of places the first
>is usually
>! Undefined control sequence.
>l.1 \startmodule
>                 [type=tex]