* overprint bug (mkiv)
@ 2009-09-16 15:28 Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-09-16 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

overprinting is broken under very special conditions. You need to add
framed content with a defined mp overlay as background and *deactivated
frame* to a layer (last of the four pairs in the example). The text of
the last pair is written in the same \GSoverprint group (in this case
the \GSknockout is even missing). Very obscure.

Have fun,

Peter

[-- Attachment #2: ovp.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1380 bytes --]

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuppagenumber[state=stop]

\pdfcompresslevel=0
\pdfobjcompresslevel=0

\startuniqueMPgraphic{FOO}
    fill OverlayBox withcolor lightgray;
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[FOO][\uniqueMPgraphic{FOO}]
\definelayer[BAR]

\starttext

% OK
\setlayer[BAR][x=0mm,y=0mm]
{\framed[background=color,backgroundcolor=lightgray,frame=off]
{\startoverprint first one\stopoverprint}}
\setlayer[BAR][x=50mm,y=0mm]
{\framed[background=color,backgroundcolor=lightgray,frame=off]
{\startoverprint second one\stopoverprint}}

% OK
\setlayer[BAR][x=0mm,y=15mm]
{\framed[background=color,backgroundcolor=lightgray,frame=on]
{\startoverprint first one\stopoverprint}}
\setlayer[BAR][x=50mm,y=15mm]
{\framed[background=color,backgroundcolor=lightgray,frame=on]
{\startoverprint second one\stopoverprint}}

% OK
\setlayer[BAR][x=0mm,y=30mm]
{\framed[background=FOO,frame=on]
{\startoverprint first one\stopoverprint}}
\setlayer[BAR][x=50mm,y=30mm]
{\framed[background=FOO,frame=on]
{\startoverprint second one\stopoverprint}}

% ( layer + overlay + frame=off ) is buggy
\setlayer[BAR][x=0mm,y=45mm]
{\framed[background=FOO,frame=off]
{\startoverprint first one\stopoverprint}}
\setlayer[BAR][x=50mm,y=45mm]
{\framed[background=FOO,frame=off]
{\startoverprint second one\stopoverprint}}

\flushlayer[BAR]

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: ovp.pdf --]

* Re: overprint bug (mkiv)
@ 2009-09-16 16:43 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-09-16 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:

> overprinting is broken under very special conditions. You need to add
> framed content with a defined mp overlay as background and *deactivated
> frame* to a layer (last of the four pairs in the example). The text of
> the last pair is written in the same \GSoverprint group (in this case
> the \GSknockout is even missing). Very obscure.

\def\reuseMPbox#1#2#3#4#5% space delimiting would save some tokens
   {\xdef\MPllx{#2}%        but it's not worth the effort and looks
    \xdef\MPlly{#3}%        ugly as well
    \xdef\MPurx{#4}%
    \xdef\MPury{#5}%
    \forcecolorhack\getobject{MP}{#1}} % else no proper color intent

the issue is as follows:

- i use attributes for such things
- and, in the backend i only look at glyph and rule nodes
- however, the reused graphic is an object
- so, i have a \forcecolorhack
- this tells the backend to treat the following node as well

there are a few more places where this is needed and in due time it will
be sorted out

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: overprint bug (mkiv)
@ 2009-09-16 17:37   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-09-16 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> overprinting is broken under very special conditions. You need to add
>> framed content with a defined mp overlay as background and
>> *deactivated frame* to a layer (last of the four pairs in the
>> example). The text of the last pair is written in the same
>> \GSoverprint group (in this case the \GSknockout is even missing).
>> Very obscure.
>

> \def\reuseMPbox#1#2#3#4#5% space delimiting would save some tokens
>   {\xdef\MPllx{#2}%        but it's not worth the effort and looks
>    \xdef\MPlly{#3}%        ugly as well
>    \xdef\MPurx{#4}%
>    \xdef\MPury{#5}%
>    \forcecolorhack\getobject{MP}{#1}} % else no proper color intent
>
> the issue is as follows:
>
> - i use attributes for such things
> - and, in the backend i only look at glyph and rule nodes
> - however, the reused graphic is an object
> - so, i have a \forcecolorhack
> - this tells the backend to treat the following node as well

Thank you Hans (also for the nice explanation)! The minimal example
works here, also the first test graphic. Nevertheless there is still a
bug in the definition of \forcecolorhack. The error message of my second
test graphic is the same as in

http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20090901.094156.1dc47c81.en.html

So you should be able to produce the error with that example. The last
time I simply used the old (commented) definition and everything worked
again. I even looked at the definition of leaders that time (last used
in LaTeX around eight years ago) and I think \zeropoint is no valid glue
value here.

> there are a few more places where this is needed and in due time it
> will be sorted out

I don't know if I should laugh or cry here. It took me nearly two days
to make that minimal example. I'll interpret your last sentence as black
humour... :)

Best wishes,  Peter

> Hans

* Re: overprint bug (mkiv)
@ 2009-09-16 17:56     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-09-16 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:

> test graphic is the same as in
>
> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20090901.094156.1dc47c81.en.html

no such message here

> So you should be able to produce the error with that example. The last
> time I simply used the old (commented) definition and everything worked
> again. I even looked at the definition of leaders that time (last used
> in LaTeX around eight years ago) and I think \zeropoint is no valid glue
> value here.

is more a hmode/vmode issue

>> there are a few more places where this is needed and in due time it
>> will be sorted out
>>
> I don't know if I should laugh or cry here. It took me nearly two days
> to make that minimal example. I'll interpret your last sentence as black
> humour... :)

well, imagine the lake of tears i have in my garden then due to all
those past bugs and such

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: overprint bug (mkiv)
@ 2009-09-16 19:03       ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-09-16 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> test graphic is the same as in
>>
>> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20090901.094156.1dc47c81.en.html
>>

> no such message here

i'll try to make a minimal example tomorrow. my current failing example
is a document with six graphics (windows) on five pages.

>> So you should be able to produce the error with that example. The
>> last time I simply used the old (commented) definition and everything
>> worked again. I even looked at the definition of leaders that time
>> (last used in LaTeX around eight years ago) and I think \zeropoint is
>> no valid glue value here.
>
> is more a hmode/vmode issue
seems so, as the old version gives

! You can't use `\prevdepth' in horizontal mode.
\nointerlineskip ->\prevdepth
                              -\thousandpoint
<argument> ...SCB@arrowbuttonsrc \nointerlineskip

>>> there are a few more places where this is needed and in due time it
>>> will be sorted out
>>>
>> I don't know if I should laugh or cry here. It took me nearly two
>> days to make that minimal example. I'll interpret your last sentence
>> as black humour... :)
>
> well, imagine the lake of tears i have in my garden then due to all
> those past bugs and such

:))   indeed, you must have a lot of black humour for such a job........
but it is also said that nobody in the world can handle (salt) water
better than the dutch. so i don't worry too much. ;)

> Hans

* Re: overprint bug (mkiv)
@ 2009-09-16 19:30         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-16 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> but it is also said that nobody in the world can handle (salt) water better
> than the dutch
ahem,  and Venetian ?

--
luigi