* Fonts loaded
       [not found] <mailman.1876.1253647079.3069.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-09-22 21:36 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-09-22 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Hans,

Sorry for my insistence, but...

mkiv lua stats : loaded fonts              - 37 files:
lmmono10-regular.otf lmmono12-regular.otf lmmono8-regular.otf
lmmono9-regular.otf lmroman10-bold.otf lmroman10-regular.otf
lmroman12-bold.otf lmroman12-regular.otf lmroman7-bold.otf
lmroman7-regular.otf lmroman9-bold.otf lmroman9-regular.otf
lmsans10-regular.otf lmsans12-regular.otf lmsans8-regular.otf
lmsans9-regular.otf eufb10.tfm eufb7.tfm eufm10.tfm eufm7.tfm msam10.tfm
msam7.tfm msbm10.tfm msbm7.tfm lmex10.tfm lmmi10.tfm lmmi12.tfm
lmmi7.tfm lmmi9.tfm lmmib10.tfm lmmib7.tfm lmsy10.tfm lmsy7.tfm
lmsy9.tfm minionpro-bold.otf minionpro-it.otf minionpro-regular.otf

How can I get rid of all of these fonts except last three?

Vyatcheslav

* Re: Fonts loaded
@ 2009-09-22 21:52   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-09-22 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> Sorry for my insistence, but...
>
> mkiv lua stats : loaded fonts              - 37 files:
> lmmono10-regular.otf lmmono12-regular.otf lmmono8-regular.otf
> lmmono9-regular.otf lmroman10-bold.otf lmroman10-regular.otf
> lmroman12-bold.otf lmroman12-regular.otf lmroman7-bold.otf
> lmroman7-regular.otf lmroman9-bold.otf lmroman9-regular.otf
> lmsans10-regular.otf lmsans12-regular.otf lmsans8-regular.otf
> lmsans9-regular.otf eufb10.tfm eufb7.tfm eufm10.tfm eufm7.tfm msam10.tfm
> msam7.tfm msbm10.tfm msbm7.tfm lmex10.tfm lmmi10.tfm lmmi12.tfm
> lmmi7.tfm lmmi9.tfm lmmib10.tfm lmmib7.tfm lmsy10.tfm lmsy7.tfm
> lmsy9.tfm minionpro-bold.otf minionpro-it.otf minionpro-regular.otf
>
> How can I get rid of all of these fonts except last three?

- you can try --mode=*nofonts but keep in mind that this is meant for
special cases where styles are loaded immediately on the command line

- it will not save much time; eventually we will have opentype lm math
anyway; and half of those fonts are small anyway

- it will result in errors when you don't immediately load a typeface
especially if spacing is being set up

- you need a math font because some symbols come from math (like bullets)

- delaying math setup would result in way more overhead as then it needs
to be set up inside math (and then it happens grouped)

- also, reported problems resulting from not having load a base font set
are unlikely to be looked into

- as i keep optimnizing code, i expect the reported times to drop a bit
  in the future;

- a resident run might save some load time, but this is compensated by
the need to reinitialize all subsystems (apart from a mess)

- computers will become faster anyway and in most runs the startup time
is small compared to the other runtime

Hans

ps. it's no problem to get a 100-300 page per second througput for
stupid documents but anything fancy will drop that to 1-20 pps

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Fonts loaded
       [not found] <mailman.1883.1253681946.3069.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-09-23 10:52 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-09-23 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Hans,

Thank you for --mode=*nofonts and detailed explanation.

The mode works well and reduces font loading time from 2.281 to 1.266 seconds!

Thankfully,
Vyatcheslav