* Is it possible to put references format depending of mainlanguage? and other things
@ 2009-10-02 15:22 Xan
From: Xan @ 2009-10-02 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I posted previously
[http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2009/043675.html] but no one
answer that. Is it possible to localizated bibliography module depending
on \mainlanguage? I think for example in @inproceedings or @article in
ams. It appears "number" for specifying the number of journal, but
"number" is in english. It were useful if we could display "número" for
\mainlanguage[es], "nombre" for \mainlanguage[ca], etc like we display
tableofcontents or the title of references in \mainlanguage localization.

For the other hand, is it possible to define second references like
wikipedia? I plan to write a document that will have a normal
bibliography citations (like \cite[bridson].... and display the book of
Bridson) and a wikipedia-like citations for citing specifically
paragraphs of text (that I want to display like wikipedia references
\wikicite[This text appears in paragraph 2 of \cite[bridson] in a reject
of ....]) Is it possible?

Thanks in advance,
Xan.

* Re: Is it possible to put references format depending of mainlanguage? and other things
@ 2009-10-03  7:11 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-10-03  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I posted previously
> [http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2009/043675.html] but no one
> answer that. Is it possible to localizated bibliography module depending
> on \mainlanguage? I think for example in @inproceedings or @article in
> ams. It appears "number" for specifying the number of journal, but
> "number" is in english. It were useful if we could display "número" for
> \mainlanguage[es], "nombre" for \mainlanguage[ca], etc like we display
> tableofcontents or the title of references in \mainlanguage localization.

There is only very limited support for internationalisation in the bib
module, but at least you can define the reference title:

   \setupheadtext[ca][pubs=Referències]

this definition is actually already there.

For the small bits of text inside the reference list, you have to create
a copy of the relevant bibl-xxx file with the two-letter language code
attached to the name, edit that file to your liking, then do:

   \setuppublications[alternative=apa-ca] % for example.

> For the other hand, is it possible to define second references like
> wikipedia? I plan to write a document that will have a normal
> bibliography citations (like \cite[bridson].... and display the book of
> Bridson) and a wikipedia-like citations for citing specifically
> paragraphs of text (that I want to display like wikipedia references
> \wikicite[This text appears in paragraph 2 of \cite[bridson] in a reject
> of ....]) Is it possible?

I am not sure whether I understand you correctly, but there is this
command:

   \def\getcitedata [key][field] to \macroname

which stores the value of 'field' in the reference 'key' into the
\macroname. The idea is that you can use this to fetch any simple
key from a reference anywhere in the document.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Is it possible to put references format depending of mainlanguage? and other things
@ 2009-10-05 14:56 ` Xan
From: Xan @ 2009-10-05 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Xan wrote:
> >/ Hi,
> />/
> />/ I posted previously
> />/ [http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2009/043675.html] but no one
> />/ answer that. Is it possible to localizated bibliography module depending
> />/ on \mainlanguage? I think for example in @inproceedings or @article in
> />/ ams. It appears "number" for specifying the number of journal, but
> />/ "number" is in english. It were useful if we could display "número" for
> />/ \mainlanguage[es], "nombre" for \mainlanguage[ca], etc like we display
> />/ tableofcontents or the title of references in \mainlanguage localization.
> /
> There is only very limited support for internationalisation in the bib
> module, but at least you can define the reference title:
>
>    \setupheadtext[ca][pubs=Referències]
>
> this definition is actually already there.

Yes, I know that.
> For the small bits of text inside the reference list, you have to create
> a copy of the relevant bibl-xxx file with the two-letter language code
> attached to the name, edit that file to your liking, then do:
>
>    \setuppublications[alternative=apa-ca] % for example.

I refer to that. For not having apa-ca, apa-es, apa-fr, etc I think you
could rewrite bib module for having localization in automatic way. If
\mainlanguage = es, then number = "número" or something similar in TeX
way Sorry but I don't know TeX so much for doing that in my own. But I
think it's simply for you ;-)

> >/ For the other hand, is it possible to define second references like
> />/ wikipedia? I plan to write a document that will have a normal
> />/ bibliography citations (like \cite[bridson].... and display the book of
> />/ Bridson) and a wikipedia-like citations for citing specifically
> />/ paragraphs of text (that I want to display like wikipedia references
> />/ \wikicite[This text appears in paragraph 2 of \cite[bridson] in a reject
> />/ of ....]) Is it possible?
> /
> I am not sure whether I understand you correctly, but there is this
> command:
>
>    \def\getcitedata [key][field] to \macroname
>
> which stores the value of 'field' in the reference 'key' into the
> \macroname. The idea is that you can use this to fetch any simple
> key from a reference anywhere in the document.

I will investigate it.... Thanks a lot,
Xan.

@ 2009-10-06  6:55   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-10-06  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xan wrote:
>> For the small bits of text inside the reference list, you have to create
>> a copy of the relevant bibl-xxx file with the two-letter language code
>> attached to the name, edit that file to your liking, then do:
>>
>>    \setuppublications[alternative=apa-ca] % for example.
>>
> I refer to that. For not having apa-ca, apa-es, apa-fr, etc I think you
> could rewrite bib module for having localization in automatic way. If
> \mainlanguage = es, then number = "número" or something similar in TeX
> way Sorry but I don't know TeX so much for doing that in my own. But I
> think it's simply for you ;-)

There are two reasons why this is not done (yet?):

1. The microtypography of such textual labels is not the same in all
languages/countries: at least some require a change in the actual
ordering (prefix vs. postfix labels)

2. (and this is more important) Laziness from me. Not a good reason,
I know, but that's how it is.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Is it possible to put references format depending of mainlanguage? and other things
@ 2009-10-10 16:12   ` Xan
From: Xan @ 2009-10-10 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi,
>
> Xan wrote:
> >>/ For the small bits of text inside the reference list, you have to create
> />>/ a copy of the relevant bibl-xxx file with the two-letter language code
> />>/ attached to the name, edit that file to your liking, then do:
> />>/
> />>/    \setuppublications[alternative=apa-ca] % for example.
> />>/
> />/ I refer to that. For not having apa-ca, apa-es, apa-fr, etc I think you
> />/ could rewrite bib module for having localization in automatic way. If
> />/ \mainlanguage = es, then number = "número" or something similar in TeX
> />/ way Sorry but I don't know TeX so much for doing that in my own. But I
> />/ think it's simply for you ;-)
> /
> There are two reasons why this is not done (yet?):
>
> 1. The microtypography of such textual labels is not the same in all
> languages/countries: at least some require a change in the actual
> ordering (prefix vs. postfix labels)
>
> 2. (and this is more important) Laziness from me. Not a good reason,
> I know, but that's how it is.

This is a BAD new. I think it's important. It could be marked the difference (in the bibliographyc
world) about ConTeXt and other systems. Unfortonately I have not enough knowledge for doing that so
I depend of you ;-) Please, reconsider it. I think it will be a day of work for you (at least with
preliminary version - not right-to-left languages).

In a long time, please put in your todo list the implementation of babelbib
 [http://texcatalogue.sarovar.org/entries/babelbib.html] in ConTeXt

Thanks a lot,
Xan.

@ 2009-10-12  7:31     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-10-12  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xan wrote:

> This is a BAD new. I think it's important. It could be marked the
> difference (in the bibliographyc
> world) about ConTeXt and other systems. Unfortonately I have not enough
> knowledge for doing that so
> I depend of you ;-) Please, reconsider it. I think it will be a day of
> work for you (at least with
> preliminary version - not right-to-left languages).

Finding a free 'day of work' is a lot harder than you make it sound :)
but I will try to find the time.

Best wishes,
Taco