From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: Spam:*****, Re:  Page Numbering Hell
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 13:48:24 +0200	[thread overview]

Bryant Eastham wrote:

[in addition to what others have said]

> 1. Should I use mkii or mkiv? If mkii, then what should I plan on as
> schedule for upgrading?

if you plan to use context for a long time and want to be save with
respect to fonts and encodings, i'd gamble on mkiv (here we use mkiv for
everything but also run mkiv in projects that started year sago and have
to run fo rmay years to come); in general it's no big deal to switch
from mkii to mkiv later

> 2. Should I use context or texexec? As I understand, this is the same as
> asking whether to use pdftex or luatex. It may also be related to the
> mkii/mkiv issue, but I am less sure of that.

context is a lua script and mkiv needs that one; texexec targets at
mkii; in principle you can use contet to run mkii as well, as it will
just call texexec; i have no time now (nor much reason) to convert the
bit of code that mkii needs to lua, otherwise texexec could be dropped

concerning the 35 docs with 100's of pages ... the more docs and pages,
the more time you can spend on a proper style setup (and investigation);
anyhow, we use mkiv for small docs (manuals) as well as for handling
large collections for customers (tens of thousands of different pages,
spread over hundreds of documents, to be assembled in any combination or
subset) and so far it works out ok, even if it's beta

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE