* Re: Scite + non-global environbment variables
       [not found] <mailman.1.1254909605.28696.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-10-07 21:06 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2009-10-07 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hallo Wolfgang,

> I have just started with Context, having been working with LaTeX
> (i.e. MikTeX / TeXnicCenter under WIndows) for quite a while.
>
> I installed Contextminimal and Scite just as proposed as the easiest
> way to get started. As setting global environments variables would
> interfere with MikTeX, I switched off this option during the
> installation process (in the GUI Windows installation program).
>
> But now I cannot easily start the compilation by pressing Crtl+1 in
> Scite, bcause this just calls the compiler and the environment
> variables are of course not set for this process. So which file do I
> have to change to make Scite call the batch file which sets the
> environments variables before it calls the compiler?
>
> What global Context environment variables would possibly interfere
> with MikTeX?
>
> Greatings from M?nster
> Wolfgang Hugemann

you should not have any global Context environment variables, because
you call cscite.bat (setuptex.bat is called then before scite is
started).
The problems I see are miktex executables which are in the PATH and
can interfere with their context aequivalents.
How exactly are you starting scite?

Wolfgang

* Re: Scite + non-global environbment variables
@ 2009-10-23 17:24   ` Wolfgang Hugemann
From: Wolfgang Hugemann @ 2009-10-23 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> you should not have any global Context environment variables, because
> you call cscite.bat (setuptex.bat is called then before scite is
> started).
> The problems I see are miktex executables which are in the PATH and
> can interfere with their context equivalents.
> How exactly are you starting scite?

Well, I just ran scite.exe. OK, I downloaded cscite.bat now. Is there
somewhere any explanation with what parameters to call this batch? I
could not find such a documentation and the batch is by far not
self-explaning. (This is a really frustrating start with ConTeXt; I hope
it doesn't stay like this.)

Greetings from Muenster
Wolfgang Hugeamnn

* Re: Scite + non-global environbment variables
@ 2009-10-25 12:12     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-10-25 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Hugemann wrote:
>> you should not have any global Context environment variables, because
>> you call cscite.bat (setuptex.bat is called then before scite is
>> started).
>> The problems I see are miktex executables which are in the PATH and
>> can interfere with their context equivalents.
>> How exactly are you starting scite?
>
> Well, I just ran scite.exe. OK, I downloaded cscite.bat now. Is there
> somewhere any explanation with what parameters to call this batch? I
> could not find such a documentation and the batch is by far not
> self-explaning. (This is a really frustrating start with ConTeXt; I hope
> it doesn't stay like this.)

well, editor support is just a bonus

i still have to upgrade the scite related files to the new minimals

(we did some tests at the context conference with this; one problem is
that one needs to adapt user specific files (in user space) on top of
globally used setup files)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-11-12 17:44       ` Wolfgang Hugemann
From: Wolfgang Hugemann @ 2009-11-12 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> well, editor support is just a bonus
>
> i still have to upgrade the scite related files to the new minimals
>
> (we did some tests at the context conference with this; one problem is
> that one needs to adapt user specific files (in user space) on top of
> globally used setup files)
>
> Hans

I finally decided to allow for global environment variables during the
installation (possibly interfering with my MikTeX installation; I
haven't checked yet) and than it functioned just as easy a proclaimed.

I seems to me that waiving global environment variables is something
almost impossible for a beginner. I ran into a lot of errors obiously
originating from unknown paths.

I think the Windows installation should warn somewhat more drastical on
skipping global environment variables...

Thanks from Münster
Wolfgang Hugemann

* Re: Scite + non-global environbment variables
@ 2009-11-12 18:02         ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2009-11-12 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Hugemann wrote:
> I seems to me that waiving global environment variables is something
> almost impossible for a beginner. I ran into a lot of errors obiously
> originating from unknown paths.

I literally just found out that even though I had allowed the installer
to set global environment variables and added the necessary user
specific settings (copied the few .properties files to user profile), I
couldn't get my ConTeXt to work under a different user name on a Vista
Business computer that already has a working ConTeXt+SciTe combo.

The funniest thing is that the second username/login is the more
powerful one, so this wasn't about missing admin rights or anything like
that.

When I reran the installer (I used Vyatscheslav's Windows installer) and
thus got updated minimals, ConTeXt started working also with a new
username. ...I don't know if it broke the original one and I won't care
for now - the important thing is that now somebody else can use ConTeXt
on that computer while I'm not at it.

So even "global" doesn't seem to be *so* global. Some more
investigations are needed at some point, I suspect.

Mari

* Re: Scite + non-global environbment variables
@ 2009-10-27 19:30     ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2009-10-27 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Hugemann wrote:
> It seems like I need another hint.

I don't know if this counts as another hint - you may have used this one
up already - but just in case it is:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Simple_Windows_Installation

It is based on stuff done at the ConTeXt Meeting two months ago and thus
fairly accurate at this time. Courtesy to Hans, of course!

Mari
just a Windows dummy

* Re: Scite + non-global environbment variables
       [not found] <mailman.85.1256549884.22155.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-10-27 17:55 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2009-10-27 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:39:00 +0100
> From: Wolfgang Hugemann <Auto@Hugemann.de>
> Subject: Re: [NTG-context] Scite + non-global environbment
> variables
>
> > Look at the label ':help' in 'cscite.bat'.
>
> I had done this already. All that is says is
> echo usage: cscite root, e.g. cscite d:\copyofcdrom
> leaving you with the question which root of what is meant.
>
> I tested the root directory of context "C:\Programme\contextminimal"

This is right!

> It seems like I need another hint.

YOU have to give some hints!
What are you doing? What is happening?

Gruß, Wolfgang

* Re: Scite + non-global environbment variables
@ 2009-10-26  9:39   ` Wolfgang Hugemann
From: Wolfgang Hugemann @ 2009-10-26  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Look at the label ':help' in 'cscite.bat'.

I had done this already. All that is says is
echo usage: cscite root, e.g. cscite d:\copyofcdrom
leaving you with the question which root of what is meant.

I tested the root directory of context "C:\Programme\contextminimal" and
the root directory of scite, i.e. "C:\Programme\wscite", neither of them
worked.

It seems like I need another hint.

Woilfgang Hugemann

* Re: Scite + non-global environbment variables
       [not found] <mailman.47.1256390651.22155.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-10-25 20:38 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2009-10-25 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2009-10-07  8:42 Wolfgang Hugemann
From: Wolfgang Hugemann @ 2009-10-07  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello to everybody,

I have just started with Context, having been working with LaTeX (i.e. MikTeX / TeXnicCenter under WIndows) for quite a while.

I installed Contextminimal and Scite just as proposed as the easiest way to get started. As setting global environments variables would interfere with MikTeX, I switched off this option during the installation process (in the GUI Windows installation program).

But now I cannot easily start the compilation by pressing Crtl+1 in Scite, bcause this just calls the compiler and the environment variables are of course not set for this process. So which file do I have to change to make Scite call the batch file which sets the environments variables before it calls the compiler?

What global Context environment variables would possibly interfere with MikTeX?

Greatings from Münster
Wolfgang Hugemann