* gtamac symbols and mkiv
@ 2009-11-11 11:14 Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2009-11-11 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been using symbols (such as "Fleuron") from the gtamacfonts in an
annual publication.
Trying to change to mkiv: what exactly should I do to install them? So
far, my attempts were not successful. (Attempts meaning: copying the tt
fonts and the type- and other files that seem to have anything to do
with it into my minimal installation, reloading the fonts and remaking
the formats).

Thanks, Jörg

* Re: gtamac symbols and mkiv
@ 2009-11-11 11:21 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-11-11 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 11, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> I have been using symbols (such as "Fleuron") from the gtamacfonts
> in an annual publication.
> Trying to change to mkiv: what exactly should I do to install them?
> So far, my attempts were not successful. (Attempts meaning: copying
> the tt fonts and the type- and other files that seem to have
> anything to do with it into my minimal installation, reloading the
> fonts and remaking the formats).
>
> Thanks, Jörg

The answer is short and will be disappointing: gtamacfonts was
developed for mkii and will not work with mkiv. If you want just a
couple of symbols, it should be easy to write a few macros to get
them, but the motivation behind gtamacfonts was just to make these
fonts available for TeX, and with mkiv, they are available.

ALl best

Thomas

* Re: gtamac symbols and mkiv
@ 2009-11-11 12:22   ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2009-11-11 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks -- I did expect something of the kind. I need just "Fleuron" and
"Crown"; could you give me a hint as to where I should look for an
example -- a macro doing the same thing, something that could get me going?

Cheers, Jörg

@ 2009-11-11 16:00     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-11-11 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 11, 2009, at 1:22 PM, Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> Thanks -- I did expect something of the kind. I need just "Fleuron"
> and "Crown"; could you give me a hint as to where I should look for
> an example -- a macro doing the same thing, something that could get
> me going?
>
> Cheers, Jörg

The easies way would be:

\define\Fleuron%
   {\getglyph{name:hoeflertextornaments}{\char61522}}

If you want to know the numbers of the different ornaments: open the
file hoeflertextornaments.tma, which will be in your luatex-cache,
under fonts/otf. There's a section "unicodes" where you'll find all
the names and the corrresponding values. (There's probably a more
elegant way of achieving this, but that's what I used.)

If you want more than just a few glyphs, you can also define a
symbolset from Hoefler Ornaments, see http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Symbols

Thomas

* Re: gtamac symbols and mkiv
@ 2009-11-12  8:08       ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2009-11-12  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> The easies way would be:
>
> \define\Fleuron%
>   {\getglyph{name:hoeflertextornaments}{\char61522}}
>
> If you want to know the numbers of the different ornaments: open the
> file hoeflertextornaments.tma, which will be in your luatex-cache,
> under fonts/otf. There's a section "unicodes" where you'll find all
> the names and the corrresponding values. (There's probably a more
> elegant way of achieving this, but that's what I used.)
>
> If you want more than just a few glyphs, you can also define a
> symbolset from Hoefler Ornaments, see
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Symbols

Thank you, Thomas

Jörg