* MetaPost integration: default parameters
@ 2009-11-13 16:53 Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-11-13 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi,

ConTeXt already passes quite a few length parameters on to embedded
MetaPost code ... BodyFontSize, CurrentWidth etc.

Would it be possible to add some more font/math related parameters to
the default definitions? I'm thinking of exposing math OpenType
parameters like

AxisHeight
FractionRuleThickness
UpperLimitBaselineRiseMin
UpperLimitGapMin
LowerLimitGapMin
LowerLimitBaselineDropMin
etc.

of the surrounding text to MetaPost as well. This would be very handy
for me since I need to draw diagrammatic expressions to be used in
formulas and I'd like them to adapt to the current math font and
fontsize automatically. At the moment I set these variables manually...

Also, is there a way to directly get the glyph outlines of, say, $
\bigotimes$ in MetaPost code and use it to derive some length unit
from it?

Oliver

* Re: MetaPost integration: default parameters
@ 2009-11-14  0:20 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-14  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 17:53, Oliver Buerschaper wrote:

> Also, is there a way to directly get the glyph outlines of, say,
> $\bigotimes$ in MetaPost code and use it to derive some length unit from it?

Yes, but this only works for Type1 fonts, not for OpenType.

The example below is a literal copy from metapost manual (created by Taco).

You first search in the source for that glyph:
    \definemathsymbol [bigotimes] [op]  [ex] ["4E] % this equals 78 in
decimal notation
and then you need either name or number of glyph + name of font.

fontmapfile "=lm-math.map";
beginfig(1);
  picture q;
  path p;
  interim ahlength := 12bp;
  interim ahangle := 25;
  q := glyph 78 of "lmex10" scaled .2;
%  q := glyph "circlemultiplytext" of "lmex10" scaled .2;
% cheat by looking at lm-mathex.enc
  for item within q:
    p := pathpart item;
    drawarrow p withcolor (.6,.9,.6)
        withpen pencircle scaled 1.5;
    for j=0 upto length p:
      pickup pencircle scaled .7;
      draw (point j of p -- precontrol j of p)
          dashed evenly withcolor blue;
      draw (point j of p -- postcontrol j of p)
          dashed evenly withcolor blue;
      pickup pencircle scaled 3;
      draw precontrol j of p withcolor red;
      draw postcontrol j of p withcolor red;
      pickup pencircle scaled 2;
      draw point j of p withcolor black;
    endfor
  endfor
endfig;
end.

Mojca

* Re: MetaPost integration: default parameters
@ 2009-11-22 15:53   ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-11-22 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

>> Also, is there a way to directly get the glyph outlines of, say,
>> $\bigotimes$ in MetaPost code and use it to derive some length unit from it?
>
> Yes, but this only works for Type1 fonts, not for OpenType.
>
> The example below is a literal copy from metapost manual (created by Taco).

This is quite impressive! This will make it much easier for me to obtain the right dimensions…

Now if only this worked with OpenType as well (or any other font format ConTeXt understands natively)… and it would be really great if direct access to outlines extended to arbitrary typeset material beyond single glyphs.

I know there used to be a TeX -> PS -> pstoedit -> MetaPost workflow. Does this still work with MkIV?

@ 2009-11-22 16:01     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-22 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 16:53, Oliver Buerschaper wrote:

> I know there used to be a TeX -> PS -> pstoedit -> MetaPost workflow. Does this still work with MkIV?

If you manage to extend dvips to handle OpenType fonts then maybe ...

Mojca

* Re: MetaPost integration: default parameters
@ 2009-11-22 19:16       ` Oliver Buerschaper
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2009-11-22 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I know there used to be a TeX -> PS -> pstoedit -> MetaPost workflow. Does this still work with MkIV?
>
> If you manage to extend dvips to handle OpenType fonts then maybe ...

So does this mean that outline fonts in MetaPost are currently dead with MkIV?

@ 2009-11-22 20:15         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-11-22 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Oliver Buerschaper
<oliver.buerschaper@mpq.mpg.de> wrote:
>>> I know there used to be a TeX -> PS -> pstoedit -> MetaPost workflow. Does this still work with MkIV?
>>
>> If you manage to extend dvips to handle OpenType fonts then maybe ...
>
> So does this mean that outline fonts in MetaPost are currently dead with MkIV?

%%test-outlined.tex
\starttext
\startTEXpage
\startuseMPgraphic{a}
graphictext "\bf Fun" scaled 4 zscaled (1,1.5)
 withdrawcolor blue
   withfillcolor .5white
     withpen pencircle scaled 5pt
\stopuseMPgraphic
\useMPgraphic{a}
\stopTEXpage
\stoptext

#context test-outlined

works ok here
--
luigi

[-- Attachment #2: test-.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 8942 bytes --]

* Re: MetaPost integration: default parameters
@ 2009-11-22 20:33           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-11-22 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.11.2009 um 21:15 schrieb luigi scarso:

> %%test-outlined.tex
> \starttext
> \startTEXpage
> \startuseMPgraphic{a}
> graphictext "\bf Fun" scaled 4 zscaled (1,1.5)
> withdrawcolor blue
>   withfillcolor .5white
>     withpen pencircle scaled 5pt
> \stopuseMPgraphic
> \useMPgraphic{a}
> \stopTEXpage
> \stoptext

\starttext
{\blue\tfd Fun\llap{\red\property[outer]{\tfd Fun}}}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: MetaPost integration: default parameters
@ 2009-11-22 20:53             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-11-22 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 22.11.2009 um 21:15 schrieb luigi scarso:
>
>> %%test-outlined.tex
>> \starttext
>> \startTEXpage
>> \startuseMPgraphic{a}
>> graphictext "\bf Fun" scaled 4 zscaled (1,1.5)
>> withdrawcolor blue
>>   withfillcolor .5white
>>     withpen pencircle scaled 5pt
>> \stopuseMPgraphic
>> \useMPgraphic{a}
>> \stopTEXpage
>> \stoptext
>
> \starttext
> {\blue\tfd Fun\llap{\red\property[outer]{\tfd Fun}}}
> \stoptext

Also from metapost manual

\starttext
\startTEXpage
\startuseMPgraphic{a}
fontmapfile "=lm-ec.map";
  picture q;
  path p;
  interim ahlength := 12bp;
  interim ahangle := 25;
  q := glyph "Dcaron" of "ec-lmr10" scaled .2;
  for item within q:
    p := pathpart item;
    drawarrow p withcolor (.6,.9,.6)
        withpen pencircle scaled 1.5;
    for j=0 upto length p:
      pickup pencircle scaled .7;
      draw (point j of p -- precontrol j of p)
          dashed evenly withcolor blue;
      draw (point j of p -- postcontrol j of p)
          dashed evenly withcolor blue;
      pickup pencircle scaled 3;
      draw precontrol j of p withcolor red;
      draw postcontrol j of p withcolor red;
      pickup pencircle scaled 2;
      draw point j of p withcolor black;
    endfor
  endfor
\stopuseMPgraphic
\useMPgraphic{a}
\stopTEXpage
\stoptext

--
luigi

[-- Attachment #2: test-outl2.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 14714 bytes --]

* Re: MetaPost integration: default parameters
@ 2009-11-22 21:16         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-11-22 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
>>> I know there used to be a TeX -> PS -> pstoedit -> MetaPost workflow. Does this still work with MkIV?
>> If you manage to extend dvips to handle OpenType fonts then maybe ...
>
> So does this mean that outline fonts in MetaPost are currently dead with MkIV?

it's unrelated to tex ... outlines are ther ebecause of the svg output
mode of metapost and so providing access made sense; opentype is another
matter

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-11-23  7:17     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-11-23  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
>>> Also, is there a way to directly get the glyph outlines of, say,
>>> $\bigotimes$ in MetaPost code and use it to derive some length
>>> unit from it?
>> Yes, but this only works for Type1 fonts, not for OpenType.
>>
>> The example below is a literal copy from metapost manual (created
>> by Taco).
>
> This is quite impressive! This will make it much easier for me to
> obtain the right dimensions…
>
> Now if only this worked with OpenType as well (or any other font

At some point next year I will rewrite the font backend of luatex,
and at the same time make it a bit more generic. Once that is done,
the new code can be ported to metapost. Don't hold your breath,
it will likely take more than a year.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: MetaPost integration: default parameters
@ 2009-11-23  9:17         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-23  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 20:16, Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
>>> I know there used to be a TeX -> PS -> pstoedit -> MetaPost workflow. Does this still work with MkIV?
>>
>> If you manage to extend dvips to handle OpenType fonts then maybe ...
>
> So does this mean that outline fonts in MetaPost are currently dead with MkIV?

I just said that pstoedit workflow is not likely to work with OpenType
fonts, nothing else.

You can still use something like (copy-pasting Wolfgang's example
without testing):
    textext("{\blue\tfd Fun\llap{\red\property[outer]{\tfd Fun}}}")
or you can use non-OpenType font in MKIV to access the exact path of text.

But I'm really impressed about Taco's answer :)

Mojca

* Re: MetaPost integration: default parameters
@ 2009-11-23  9:47           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-11-23  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> If you manage to extend dvips to handle OpenType fonts then maybe ...
>> So does this mean that outline fonts in MetaPost are currently dead with MkIV?
>
> I just said that pstoedit workflow is not likely to work with OpenType
> fonts, nothing else.

why not? it uses gs for converting the shapes to outlines ... works ok

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-11-23  9:56             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-11-23  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> why not? it uses gs for converting the shapes to outlines ... works ok
>
> Hans
I will check it with Symbola
http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/Symbola.zip
--
luigi

* Re: MetaPost integration: default parameters
@ 2009-11-23 11:56               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-11-23 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:56 AM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>> why not? it uses gs for converting the shapes to outlines ... works ok
>>
>> Hans
> I will check it with Symbola
> http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/Symbola.zip
Given that I'm lazy

# diff mlib-pps.lua mlib-pps-patch.lua
809c809
< local start    = [[\starttext]]
---
> local start    = [[\definefont[MyUnicodeSymbols][Symbola]\starttext]]

%%test-outlined.tex
\definefont[MyUnicodeSymbols][Symbola]
\ctxloadluafile{mlib-pps-patch}{}
\starttext
\startTEXpage
\startuseMPgraphic{a}
graphictext "\bf No Fun here {\MyUnicodeSymbols\unicodechar{9925}}"
scaled 4 zscaled (1,1.5)
 withdrawcolor blue
  withfillcolor .5white
    withpen pencircle scaled 5pt
\stopuseMPgraphic
\useMPgraphic{a}
\stopTEXpage
\stoptext

--
luigi

[-- Attachment #2: test-outline.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 42150 bytes --]

* MetaPost broken mkiv latest minimals
@ 2009-11-24 20:05                 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-11-24 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

MetaPost is broken in mkiv (works in mkii).

minimal example:

\starttext

\startuniqueMPgraphic{circle}
	pickup pencircle scaled 1pt ;
	draw fullcircle scaled 2cm ;
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\uniqueMPgraphic{circle}

\stoptext

* Re: MetaPost broken mkiv latest minimals
@ 2009-11-24 20:20                   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-11-24 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:
> MetaPost is broken in mkiv (works in mkii).
>
> minimal example:
>
> \starttext
>
> \startuniqueMPgraphic{circle}
>        pickup pencircle scaled 1pt ;
>        draw fullcircle scaled 2cm ;
> \stopuniqueMPgraphic
>
> \uniqueMPgraphic{circle}
>
> \stoptext

It seems ok here
# context --version
MTXrun | main context file:
/opt/luatex/minimals-beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
MTXrun | current version: 2009.11.24 10:13

root@luigicasa-laptop:/opt/luatex/mkiv# luatex --version
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.44.0-2009110210

# uname -a
Linux luigicasa-laptop 2.6.24-25-generic #1 SMP Tue Oct 20 07:31:10
UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
Ububtu 8.04 LTS 32 bit

--
luigi

[-- Attachment #2: test-alan.pdf --]

* Re: MetaPost broken mkiv latest minimals
@ 2009-11-24 20:21                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-11-24 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> MetaPost is broken in mkiv (works in mkii).
>
> minimal example:
>
> \starttext
>
> \startuniqueMPgraphic{circle}
> 	pickup pencircle scaled 1pt ;
> 	draw fullcircle scaled 2cm ;
> \stopuniqueMPgraphic
>
> \uniqueMPgraphic{circle}
>
> \stoptext

the problem was in the backend of one of the recent luatex binaries but
has been solved already

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-11-24 20:29                     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-11-24 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 21:21, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>>
>> MetaPost is broken in mkiv (works in mkii).
>>
>> minimal example:
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \startuniqueMPgraphic{circle}
>>        pickup pencircle scaled 1pt ;
>>        draw fullcircle scaled 2cm ;
>> \stopuniqueMPgraphic
>>
>> \uniqueMPgraphic{circle}
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> the problem was in the backend of one of the recent luatex binaries but has
> been solved already

May I bet that Alan is using linux for which I need Hans' build for
which it might be polite of me to send him new building scripts since
the current ones fail (the old version of svn on debian sarge doesn't
recognize some of the options)?

Sorry guys, but it's too late today.

Mojca

* Re: MetaPost broken mkiv latest minimals
@ 2009-11-24 20:30                     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-11-24 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 21:20:05 luigi scarso wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:
> > MetaPost is broken in mkiv (works in mkii).
> >
> > minimal example:
> >
> > \starttext
> >
> > \startuniqueMPgraphic{circle}
> >        pickup pencircle scaled 1pt ;
> >        draw fullcircle scaled 2cm ;
> > \stopuniqueMPgraphic
> >
> > \uniqueMPgraphic{circle}
> >
> > \stoptext
>
> It seems ok here
> # context --version
> MTXrun | main context file:
> /opt/luatex/minimals-beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
> MTXrun | current version: 2009.11.24 10:13
>
> root@luigicasa-laptop:/opt/luatex/mkiv# luatex --version
> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.44.0-2009110210

Thanks.

I checked, and it is broken on amd64:

MTXrun | main context file: /home/local/context/tex/texmf-
context/tex/context/base/context.tex
MTXrun | current version: 2009.11.24 10:13

This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.45.0-2009112119

But works on i686:

MTXrun | main context file: /home/dell/local/context/tex/texmf-
context/tex/context/base/context.tex
MTXrun | current version: 2009.11.24 10:13

This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.44.0-2009110210

So it is a luatex bug in Version beta-0.45.0-2009112119

Alan

* Re: MetaPost broken mkiv latest minimals
@ 2009-11-24 20:49                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-11-24 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 21:21, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>>> MetaPost is broken in mkiv (works in mkii).
>>>
>>> minimal example:
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \startuniqueMPgraphic{circle}
>>>        pickup pencircle scaled 1pt ;
>>>        draw fullcircle scaled 2cm ;
>>> \stopuniqueMPgraphic
>>>
>>> \uniqueMPgraphic{circle}
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>> the problem was in the backend of one of the recent luatex binaries but has
>> been solved already
>
> May I bet that Alan is using linux for which I need Hans' build for
> which it might be polite of me to send him new building scripts since
> the current ones fail (the old version of svn on debian sarge doesn't
> recognize some of the options)?
>
> Sorry guys, but it's too late today.

ok, i will do it tomorrow

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-11-24 21:51                         ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-11-24 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 21:49:06 Hans Hagen wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> >> the problem was in the backend of one of the recent luatex binaries but
> >> has been solved already
> >
> > May I bet that Alan is using linux for which I need Hans' build for
> > which it might be polite of me to send him new building scripts since
> > the current ones fail (the old version of svn on debian sarge doesn't
> > recognize some of the options)?
> >
> > Sorry guys, but it's too late today.
>
> ok, i will do it tomorrow
>
> Hans

I rebuilt luatex from svn on Debian x86_64 and MP is fixed.

Alan

* Re: MetaPost broken mkiv latest minimals
@ 2009-11-24 22:08                           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-11-24 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:
> I rebuilt luatex from svn on Debian x86_64 and MP is fixed.
hm.
Can you also try with beta source
http://foundry.supelec.fr/gf/download/frsrelease/359/1390/luatex-beta-0.45.0.tar.bz2
?
--
luigi

* Re: MetaPost broken mkiv latest minimals
@ 2009-11-24 22:22                             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-11-24 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:
>> I rebuilt luatex from svn on Debian x86_64 and MP is fixed.
> hm.
> Can you also try with beta source
> http://foundry.supelec.fr/gf/download/frsrelease/359/1390/luatex-beta-0.45.0.tar.bz2

That one is broken, sorry. New beta on thursday (probably).

Best wishes,
Taco