* Bibliographic mess
@ 2009-12-23 16:39 Manuel P.
From: Manuel P. @ 2009-12-23 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: context-ml

Hi!

I'm fighting with the bibliography for hours now.

I've a bibtex file with the entries: "bibliografia.bib", and I want to
list ALL its entries (whether cited or not). Easy enough:

----
\setupbibtex[database=bibliografia]
\setuppublications[alternative=num,criterium=all,numbering=yes]

\starttext
% Thesis [...]

\placepublications[sorttype=bbl,criterium=all]
\stoptext
----

I've incorporated a style for typesetting urls stealed from contextgarden:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Bibliography

Except for the fact that with MKIV (context command) I see only the
cited ones. With MKII (texexec) I see all the entries but there isn't
any url despite the \setuppublicationlayout command.

I would love to have a bibliography chapter with all the entries (cited
or not), some of them must display an acrive URL, and possibly filed by
type in different sections. For example:

----
\chapter{Bibliography}
\section{Books}
% books entries
\section{Presentations}
% Audio-video presentations references with the internet URL
\section{Articles and Papers}
% Entries with an active URL
----

Is it possible? I've read "bibmod-doc.pdf" without much success.

--
Manuel P.

* Re: Bibliographic mess
@ 2009-12-24  9:55 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-12-24  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Manuel P. wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm fighting with the bibliography for hours now.
>
> I've a bibtex file with the entries: "bibliografia.bib", and I want to
> list ALL its entries (whether cited or not). Easy enough:
>
> ----
> \setupbibtex[database=bibliografia]
> \setuppublications[alternative=num,criterium=all,numbering=yes]
>
> \starttext
> % Thesis [...]
>
> \placepublications[sorttype=bbl,criterium=all]
> \stoptext
> ----
>
> I've incorporated a style for typesetting urls stealed from contextgarden:
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Bibliography
>
> Except for the fact that with MKIV (context command) I see only the
> cited ones.

Yes, there are a few problems with the converted mkiv version. Could
you create a small test file for Hans so he can have a look?

> With MKII (texexec) I see all the entries but there isn't
> any url despite the \setuppublicationlayout command.

Same here, but this time the test file is for me.

> and possibly filed by type in different sections. For example:

You can't do this with the current module, sorry.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Bibliographic mess
@ 2009-12-24 11:41   ` Manuel P.
From: Manuel P. @ 2009-12-24 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Il 24/12/2009 10.55, Taco Hoekwater ha scritto:
> [snip]
> Yes, there are a few problems with the converted mkiv version. Could
> you create a small test file for Hans so he can have a look?

Ok, I'll post this example here (see the attachment).

To summarize:

== What I want ==
A bibliography chapter with all the entries in the bib file, whether
cited or not, and some of them typesetted with an active url (snippet of
\setuppublicationlayout pasted from contextgarden).

== What I get ==
- MKIV (context command): all the entries, but without active urls.
- MKII (texexec command): entries with active urls, but only the cited ones.

>> and possibly filed by type in different sections. For example:
>>
> You can't do this with the current module, sorry.
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

It's possible to use a word in a bibtex entry that says what type of
source it is? Something like:

     type={book|presentation|article}

and to typeset this word maybe in bold? I've seen a "type" keyword in
bibtex but I'm not sure on how to use it or how to make ConTeXt use this
keyword the way I want.

Thank you for your precious time Taco,

--
Manuel P.

[-- Attachment #2: bibexample.zip --]

* Re: Bibliographic mess
@ 2009-12-24 11:45     ` Manuel P.
From: Manuel P. @ 2009-12-24 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Il 24/12/2009 12.41, Manuel P. ha scritto:
> == What I get ==
> - MKIV (context command): all the entries, but without active urls.
> - MKII (texexec command): entries with active urls, but only the cited
> ones.

Well, actually the opposite is true sorry!

== What I get ==
- MKII (texexec command): all the entries, but without active urls.
- MKIV (context command): entries with active urls, but only the cited
ones.

--
Manuel P.

* Re: Bibliographic mess
@ 2009-12-24 13:50   ` Bernhard Rosensteiner
From: Bernhard Rosensteiner @ 2009-12-24 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Manuel P. wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm fighting with the bibliography for hours now.
>>
>> I've a bibtex file with the entries: "bibliografia.bib", and I want to
>> list ALL its entries (whether cited or not). Easy enough:
>>
>> ----
>> \setupbibtex[database=bibliografia]
>> \setuppublications[alternative=num,criterium=all,numbering=yes]
>>
>> \starttext
>> % Thesis [...]
>>
>> \placepublications[sorttype=bbl,criterium=all]
>> \stoptext
>> ----
>>
>> I've incorporated a style for typesetting urls stealed from contextgarden:
>>
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Bibliography
>>
>> Except for the fact that with MKIV (context command) I see only the
>> cited ones.
>
> Yes, there are a few problems with the converted mkiv version. Could
> you create a small test file for Hans so he can have a look?
>
>> With MKII (texexec) I see all the entries but there isn't
>> any url despite the \setuppublicationlayout command.
>
> Same here, but this time the test file is for me.
>
>> and possibly filed by type in different sections. For example:
>
> You can't do this with the current module, sorry.

but this would be a very nice feature. Is it possible to implement „filtering by type“ in a future version (maybe like in BiblaTeX for LaTeX)?

best regards
Bernhard

* Re: Bibliographic mess
@ 2009-12-24 14:23     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-12-24 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bernhard Rosensteiner wrote:

>>> and possibly filed by type in different sections. For example:
>> You can't do this with the current module, sorry.
>
> but this would be a very nice feature. Is it possible to implement
> „filtering by type“ in a future version (maybe like in BiblaTeX for
> LaTeX)?

The next version (rewrite) will be based on lxml and lpath, and that
will make all kinds of filtering features much easier to implement,
so almost certainly: yes.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Bibliographic mess
@ 2009-12-24 14:45       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-12-24 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Manuel P. wrote:

> == What I get ==
> - MKII (texexec command): all the entries, but without active urls.

Put your patch below the \setuppublications command,. As the loads
the bibl-num.tex file, it will overwrite the patch.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Bibliographic mess
@ 2009-12-26 15:53         ` Manuel P.
From: Manuel P. @ 2009-12-26 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Il 24/12/2009 15.45, Taco Hoekwater ha scritto:

> Manuel P. wrote:
>
>> == What I get ==
>> - MKII (texexec command): all the entries, but without active urls.
>>
> Put your patch below the \setuppublications command,. As the loads
> the bibl-num.tex file, it will overwrite the patch.

Ok, it works! Thank you Taco. It seems I'll have to use MKII.

--
Manuel P.