* Using Adobe Arno Pro in Mkiv
@ 2009-12-27  2:43 Changlin Ai
From: Changlin Ai @ 2009-12-27  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello, all

When I used Adobe ArnoPro font in Mkvi with default font features, I found
the memory useage of LuaTeX was very big.

These are some tests:
\starttypescript [serif] [arno]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifBold] [ArnoPro-Bold.otf] [features=default]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [ArnoPro-BoldItalic.otf]
[features=default]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic] [ArnoPro-Italic.otf][features=default]

  \definefontsynonym [Serif] [ArnoPro-Regular.otf] [features=default]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [arno]

  \definetypeface [arno] [rm] [serif] [arno] [default]

\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[arno]

\setupbodyfont[arno, 11pt]

\starttext

\rm test\par   \it test\par   \bf test\par  \bi test\par

\stoptext

and this is the information in log:
mkiv lua stats : fonts load time - 25.328 seconds

mkiv lua stats : result saved in file - cont-en.pdf

mkiv lua stats : luatex banner - this is luatex, version
beta-0.50.0-2009122521

mkiv lua stats : control sequences - 29946 of 165536

mkiv lua stats : current memory usage - 479 MB (ctx: 491 MB)

mkiv lua stats : runtime - 27.828 seconds, 0 processed pages, 1 shipped
pages, 0.036 pages/second

SyncTeX written on lua.synctex.gzMTXrun | total runtime: 28.063

When I used these fonts without font feature, I got these:
mkiv lua stats : fonts load time - 3.016 seconds

mkiv lua stats : result saved in file - cont-en.pdf

mkiv lua stats : luatex banner - this is luatex, version
beta-0.50.0-2009122521

mkiv lua stats : control sequences - 29946 of 165536

mkiv lua stats : current memory usage - 84 MB (ctx: 86 MB)

mkiv lua stats : runtime - 5.344 seconds, 0 processed pages, 1 shipped
pages, 0.187 pages/second

SyncTeX written on lua.synctex.gzMTXrun | total runtime: 5.484

How can I reduce the memory useage in such situation?

* Re: Using Adobe Arno Pro in Mkiv
@ 2009-12-27 10:38 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-12-27 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Changlin Ai wrote:
> Hello, all
>
> When I used Adobe ArnoPro font in Mkvi with default font features, I found
> the memory useage of LuaTeX was very big.

I do not have the font, so cannot run any tests myself, but

> mkiv lua stats : current memory usage - 479 MB (ctx: 491 MB)
> mkiv lua stats : runtime - 27.828 seconds, 0 processed pages, 1 shipped pages, 0.036 pages/second

looking at the runtime, I expect this includes the cache generation
for ArnoPro. If so, consecutive runs should use far less memory.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Using Adobe Arno Pro in Mkiv
@ 2009-12-27 10:54   ` Changlin Ai
From: Changlin Ai @ 2009-12-27 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

No, the result I gaved is second runtime. The first runtime was more than
1000 seconds, and above 500MB memory useage  in my computer with athlon
2500+ and 1G ram.

Best wishes,
Changlin Ai

@ 2009-12-27 11:39     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-12-27 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Changlin Ai wrote:
> No, the result I gaved is second runtime. The first runtime was more than
> 1000 seconds, and above 500MB memory useage  in my computer with athlon
> 2500+ and 1G ram.

Same here, I get some 610MB memory usage on linux-64.

I don't think there is anything that can be done about this, the fonts'
opentype data tables are simply humongous, so the cache file for context
  also gets huge, meaning it uses a lot of memory. The size in the case
of these fonts is caused by lots of substitution and kerning rules, and
there is nothing that can be done about that.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Using Adobe Arno Pro in Mkiv
@ 2009-12-27 11:50       ` Changlin Ai
From: Changlin Ai @ 2009-12-27 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/12/27 Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>

> Changlin Ai wrote:
>
>> No, the result I gaved is second runtime. The first runtime was more than
>> 1000 seconds, and above 500MB memory useage  in my computer with athlon
>> 2500+ and 1G ram.
>>

> Same here, I get some 610MB memory usage on linux-64.
>
> I don't think there is anything that can be done about this, the fonts'
> opentype data tables are simply humongous, so the cache file for context
>  also gets huge, meaning it uses a lot of memory. The size in the case
> of these fonts is caused by lots of substitution and kerning rules, and
> there is nothing that can be done about that.
>

> Best wishes,
> Taco

Ah, I got it.

Thanks a lot.

Best wishes,
Changlin Ai

* Re: Using Adobe Arno Pro in Mkiv
@ 2009-12-29 18:21 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-12-29 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27-12-2009 3:43, Changlin Ai wrote:

> When I used Adobe ArnoPro font in Mkvi with default font features, I
> found the memory useage of LuaTeX was very big.

as i don't have the font i cannot check where some saving can take place
but it could be in the lookups

so, i did a small optimization in the way lookups are stored (for taco:
it saves some 10M memory on mk which is rather neglectable and some 1%
tma/tmc space for the mk fonts)

so, now the question is, how much does it save for ArnoPro ... can yopu
collect some stats for your current version as well as the latest beta
(website, with delay garden)

(needs a bit of testing)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-12-29 19:09   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-12-29 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.12.2009 um 19:21 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 27-12-2009 3:43, Changlin Ai wrote:
>
>> When I used Adobe ArnoPro font in Mkvi with default font features, I
>> found the memory useage of LuaTeX was very big.
>
> as i don't have the font i cannot check where some saving can take place but it could be in the lookups
>
> so, i did a small optimization in the way lookups are stored (for taco: it saves some 10M memory on mk which is rather neglectable and some 1% tma/tmc space for the mk fonts)
>
> so, now the question is, how much does it save for ArnoPro ... can yopu collect some stats for your current version as well as the latest beta (website, with delay garden)

No difference for me (Mac OS X 10.6.2)

ConTeXt  ver: 2009.12.29 19:12 MKIV  fmt: 2009.12.29  int: english/english
mkiv lua stats : fonts load time           - 17.846 seconds
mkiv lua stats : luatex banner             - this is luatex, version beta-0.50.0-2009122919
mkiv lua stats : control sequences         - 30607 of 165536
mkiv lua stats : current memory usage      - 721 MB (ctx: 738 MB)
mkiv lua stats : runtime                   - 19.693 seconds, 0 processed pages, 1 shipped pages, 0.051 pages/second
MTXrun | total runtime: 19.816

ConTeXt  ver: 2009.12.27 23:27 MKIV  fmt: 2009.12.29  int: english/english
mkiv lua stats : fonts load time           - 17.916 seconds
mkiv lua stats : luatex banner             - this is luatex, version beta-0.50.0-2009122516
mkiv lua stats : control sequences         - 30605 of 165536
mkiv lua stats : current memory usage      - 723 MB (ctx: 740 MB)
mkiv lua stats : runtime                   - 19.748 seconds, 0 processed pages, 1 shipped pages, 0.051 pages/second
MTXrun | total runtime: 19.869

Wolfgang

* Re: Using Adobe Arno Pro in Mkiv
@ 2009-12-29 21:24   ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2009-12-29 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.12.2009 um 19:21 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 27-12-2009 3:43, Changlin Ai wrote:
>
>> When I used Adobe ArnoPro font in Mkvi with default font features, I
>> found the memory useage of LuaTeX was very big.
>
> as i don't have the font i cannot check where some saving can take place but it could be in the lookups
>
> so, i did a small optimization in the way lookups are stored (for taco: it saves some 10M memory on mk which is rather neglectable and some 1% tma/tmc space for the mk fonts)
>
> so, now the question is, how much does it save for ArnoPro ... can yopu collect some stats for your current version as well as the latest beta (website, with delay garden)
>
> (needs a bit of testing)

Hi,

I don’t know it this is a side effect of the optimization, but the ligatures from the Linux Libertine font disappeared …

\definefontfeature[default][default][mode=node]
\definefont[libertine][name:linuxlibertineo*default]

\starttext \libertine
\startTEXpage[offset=1ex]
nicht ff fi Th ft ck tt
\stopTEXpage
\stoptext

Greetings,
	Andreas

* Re: Using Adobe Arno Pro in Mkiv
@ 2009-12-29 21:28     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-12-29 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29-12-2009 22:24, Andreas Harder wrote:

> Am 29.12.2009 um 19:21 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> On 27-12-2009 3:43, Changlin Ai wrote:
>>
>>> When I used Adobe ArnoPro font in Mkvi with default font features, I
>>> found the memory useage of LuaTeX was very big.
>>
>> as i don't have the font i cannot check where some saving can take place but it could be in the lookups
>>
>> so, i did a small optimization in the way lookups are stored (for taco: it saves some 10M memory on mk which is rather neglectable and some 1% tma/tmc space for the mk fonts)
>>
>> so, now the question is, how much does it save for ArnoPro ... can yopu collect some stats for your current version as well as the latest beta (website, with delay garden)
>>
>> (needs a bit of testing)
>
> Hi,
>
> I don’t know it this is a side effect of the optimization, but the ligatures from the Linux Libertine font disappeared …

will be fixed

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-12-31  2:01       ` Changlin Ai
From: Changlin Ai @ 2009-12-31  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/12/30 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>

> On 29-12-2009 22:24, Andreas Harder wrote:
>

>> Am 29.12.2009 um 19:21 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>>
>>  On 27-12-2009 3:43, Changlin Ai wrote:
>>>
>>>  When I used Adobe ArnoPro font in Mkvi with default font features, I
>>>>

>>> as i don't have the font i cannot check where some saving can take place
>>> but it could be in the lookups
>>>
>>> so, i did a small optimization in the way lookups are stored (for taco:
>>> it saves some 10M memory on mk which is rather neglectable and some 1%
>>> tma/tmc space for the mk fonts)
>>>
>>> so, now the question is, how much does it save for ArnoPro ... can yopu
>>> collect some stats for your current version as well as the latest beta
>>> (website, with delay garden)
>>>
>>> (needs a bit of testing)
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I don’t know it this is a side effect of the optimization, but the
>> ligatures from the Linux Libertine font disappeared …
>>

> will be fixed

>     tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

I have updated to the last beta version of ConTeXt MKIV. It's very
good, reduction
in memory usage is huge. Now \x1dit's just about 100MB with the same test.

mkiv lua stats : fonts load time - 5.703 seconds

mkiv lua stats : luatex banner - this is luatex, version
beta-0.50.0-2009122422

mkiv lua stats : control sequences - 29965 of 165536

mkiv lua stats : current memory usage - 98 MB (ctx: 100 MB)

mkiv lua stats : runtime - 7.891 seconds, 0 processed pages, 1 shipped
pages, 0.127 pages/second

SyncTeX written on test.synctex.gzMTXrun | total runtime: 7.967

Best wishes,
Changlin Ai

* Re: Using Adobe Arno Pro in Mkiv
@ 2009-12-31  2:15         ` Changlin Ai
From: Changlin Ai @ 2009-12-31  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/12/31 Changlin Ai <acl1999@gmail.com>

I have updated to the last beta version of ConTeXt MKIV. It's very
good, reduction
> in memory usage is huge. Now it's just about 100MB with the same test.
>
> mkiv lua stats : fonts load time - 5.703 seconds
>
> mkiv lua stats : luatex banner - this is luatex, version
> beta-0.50.0-2009122422
>
> mkiv lua stats : control sequences - 29965 of 165536
>
> mkiv lua stats : current memory usage - 98 MB (ctx: 100 MB)
>
> mkiv lua stats : runtime - 7.891 seconds, 0 processed pages, 1 shipped
> pages, 0.127 pages/second
>
> SyncTeX written on test.synctex.gzMTXrun | total runtime: 7.967
>
> Best wishes,
> Changlin Ai

And when I used node mode, the memory usage was reduced to 73MB, it's
amazing (73MB vs. 491MB). Thanks a lot for everybody's help.

mkiv lua stats : loaded fonts - 57 files: lmmono10-regular.otf
lmmono12-regular.otf lmmono8-regular.otf lmmono9-regular.otf
lmroman10-bold.otf lmroman10-regular.otf lmroman12-bold.otf
lmroman12-regular.otf lmroman6-bold.otf lmroman6-regular.otf
lmroman7-bold.otf lmroman7-regular.otf lmroman8-bold.otf
lmroman8-regular.otf lmroman9-bold.otf lmroman9-regular.otf
lmsans10-regular.otf lmsans12-regular.otf lmsans8-regular.otf
lmsans9-regular.otf eufb10.tfm eufb5.tfm eufb7.tfm eufm10.tfm eufm5.tfm
eufm7.tfm msam10.tfm msam5.tfm msam7.tfm msbm10.tfm msbm5.tfm msbm7.tfm
lmex10.tfm lmmi10.tfm lmmi12.tfm lmmi6.tfm lmmi7.tfm lmmi8.tfm lmmi9.tfm
lmmib10.tfm lmmib5.tfm lmmib7.tfm lmsy10.tfm lmsy6.tfm lmsy7.tfm lmsy8.tfm
lmsy9.tfm rm-lmr10.tfm rm-lmr12.tfm rm-lmr6.tfm rm-lmr7.tfm rm-lmr8.tfm
rm-lmr9.tfm arnopro-bold.otf arnopro-bolditalic.otf arnopro-italic.otf
arnopro-regular.otf

mkiv lua stats : fonts load time - 1.744 seconds

mkiv lua stats : luatex banner - this is luatex, version
beta-0.50.0-2009122422

mkiv lua stats : control sequences - 29966 of 165536

mkiv lua stats : current memory usage - 71 MB (ctx: 73 MB)

mkiv lua stats : runtime - 3.944 seconds, 0 processed pages, 1 shipped
pages, 0.254 pages/second

SyncTeX written on test.synctex.gzMTXrun | total runtime: 4.019

Best wishes,

Changlin Ai

* Re: Using Adobe Arno Pro in Mkiv
@ 2009-12-31  9:12           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-12-31  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-12-2009 3:15, Changlin Ai wrote:

> And when I used node mode, the memory usage was reduced to 73MB, it's
> amazing (73MB vs. 491MB). Thanks a lot for everybody's help.

this font is a special case as it has many (also useless) kerns

using less mem is possible because i aggressively share tables

future versions of luatex might support shared kern tables and
additional font access methods so that we can squeeze out a little more
but these things are quite unpredictable

in node mode kerns are handles differently but it's slower; for fonts
that have no advanced features (contextual lookups etc) base mode is faster

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE