Dear all, I made a minimal sample project illustrating the issue. Note that the figures in the two folders are different, and individually referenced by the two TeX files in the folders, but come out as the same image. In older versions of ConTeX (before 2007) the different figures were used. So far I have been using the TeXlive distributions (on a Mac) and shied away from the minimals. I am not a terminal person, and while I can use it, I do it rarely and forget instantly what I did. I am just trying to update to something more recent than the last 2008 TeXlive distribution and get my old projects to look similar to what they looked a few years back. If you tell me I have to use the minimals for that, well, I'll give it a shot. Matthias