* Is there the length of article title limited in bibliography with MkIV for Chinese?
@ 2010-01-18 14:06 Yanrui Li
From: Yanrui Li @ 2010-01-18 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

If the .bib file includes a article with Chinese title, I found the
article's length should be equal or less than 22 characters. Once the length
is over 22 characters, the compile process will hang.

The following is an example:

%% filename: test.tex, it depends on the AdobeSongStd-Light.otf font.

\starttypescript[serif][zhfont]
\definefontsynonym[Serif][name:adobesongstd]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic][name:adobesongstd]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[myfonts]
\definetypeface[myfonts][rm][serif][zhfont]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[myfonts]
\setupbodyfont[myfonts,rm,11pt]

\setupbibtex[database=ref]

\starttext

测试\cite[测试]。

\placepublications

\stoptext

%% filename: ref.bib

@book{测试,
  title     = {〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二},
  author    = {一二三},
  publisher = {四五六},
  year      = {2000},
}

After compiling the above test.tex, I can get the following test.bbl file:

\setuppublicationlist[samplesize={一00},totalnumber=1]

\startpublication[k=测试,t=book,
a={{一二三}},y=2000,
n=1,s=一00]
\author[]{}[]{}{一二三}
\pubyear{2000}
\title{〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二}
\pubname{四五六}
\stoppublication

If I modify the ref.bib file, for example I add one Chinese character in the
"title" field:

%% filename: ref.bib

@book{测试,
  title     = {〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二三},
  author    = {一二三},
  publisher = {四五六},
  year      = {2000},
}

When I compile the test.tex again, the compiling process stops here:

publications    : loading database from test.bbl
(test.bbl
! String contains an invalid utf-8 sequence.
l.8 ...�九〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二
                                                  ��%
?

I'm sure that all texts in my files are encoded with utf-8.

--
Best regards,

Li Yanrui

* Re: Is there the length of article title limited in bibliography with MkIV for Chinese?
@ 2010-01-18 14:14 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-01-18 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yanrui Li wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If the .bib file includes a article with Chinese title, I found the
> article's length should be equal or less than 22 characters. Once the
> length is over 22 characters, the compile process will hang.
>

> %% filename: ref.bib
>
> @book{测试,
>   title     = {〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二},

Bibtex is stupid enough to attempt to break this title over two
lines in its output, and it does so based on *bytes*, not characters.
The result is a linebreak in the middle of an utf sequence, which
is invalid. Please try this:

   title     = {{〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二}},

and if that doesn't work (but it should), maybe this will:

   title     = {〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二%
                三四五六七八九〇一二},

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Is there the length of article title limited in bibliography with MkIV for Chinese?
@ 2010-01-18 14:22   ` Yanrui Li
From: Yanrui Li @ 2010-01-18 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/1/18 Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>

> Yanrui Li wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > If the .bib file includes a article with Chinese title, I found the
> > article's length should be equal or less than 22 characters. Once the
> > length is over 22 characters, the compile process will hang.
> >

> > %% filename: ref.bib
> >
> > @book{测试,
> >   title     = {〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二},
>
> Bibtex is stupid enough to attempt to break this title over two
> lines in its output, and it does so based on *bytes*, not characters.
> The result is a linebreak in the middle of an utf sequence, which
> is invalid. Please try this:
>
>   title     = {{〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二}},

It doesn't work.

> and if that doesn't work (but it should), maybe this will:
>
>   title     = {〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二%
>                三四五六七八九〇一二},

It results the output including "%". But I find

  title     = {〇一二三四五六七八九〇一二
               三四五六七八九〇一二三},

can work :)

Thanks for your reminder.

--

@ 2010-01-18 14:37   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-01-18 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-1-2010 15:14, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Bibtex is stupid enough to attempt to break this title over two
> lines in its output, and it does so based on *bytes*, not characters.
 > The result is a linebreak in the middle of an utf sequence, which
 > is invalid.

well, this might be the reason why we still have version 0.99 in spite
of many announcements of 1.0 -)

i wonder if someone would notice if we'd remove this line length
limitation (or maybe this is configureable in the cnf file?)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-01-18 14:44     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-01-18 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 18-1-2010 15:14, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> Bibtex is stupid enough to attempt to break this title over two
>> lines in its output, and it does so based on *bytes*, not characters.
>> The result is a linebreak in the middle of an utf sequence, which
>> is invalid.
>
> well, this might be the reason why we still have version 0.99 in spite
> of many announcements of 1.0 -)
>
> i wonder if someone would notice if we'd remove this line length
> limitation (or maybe this is configureable in the cnf file?)

Nope, only via recompile.