* new language and hyphenation
@ 2010-01-20  8:07 Marius
From: Marius @ 2010-01-20  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt users

Hello all,

The hyphenation patterns for lithuanian language are missing. So, how
does one add a new language and hyphenation patterns for ConTeXt?

* Re: new language and hyphenation
@ 2010-01-20 16:10 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-01-20 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 09:07, Marius wrote:

> The hyphenation patterns for lithuanian language are missing. So, how
> does one add a new language and hyphenation patterns for ConTeXt?

In scripts/context/lua/mtx-patterns.lua Hans needs to add

    { "la",  "hyph-la.tex",            "latin" },
[after this line]
    { "lt",  "hyph-lt.tex",            "lithuanian" },
    { "lv",  "hyph-lv.tex",            "latvian" },

and regenerate the patterns (and double-checking that nothing broke in
the meantime). [You can also take hyph-lt.tex and copy it to
tex/context/patterns/lang-lt.pat as a temporary solution.]

Apart from that you need to submit translation for your language (see
lang-ger.tex and lang-bal.tex), or at least that would be very nice.
Some settings there are necessary if you want to enable the extra
patterns. There are some more things to be done, but you may start by
translating the strings and filling other holes in lang-bal.tex.

The main question is: do you need them only for MKIV/XeTeX or do you
also want them for MKII? In the latter case you'll have quite some
problems with encoding (that is: missing support for it in fonts).

In MKIV & XeTeX it should be no problem.

Mojca

* Re: new language and hyphenation
@ 2010-01-20 16:23   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-01-20 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20-1-2010 17:10, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 09:07, Marius wrote:
>>
>> The hyphenation patterns for lithuanian language are missing. So, how
>> does one add a new language and hyphenation patterns for ConTeXt?
>
> In scripts/context/lua/mtx-patterns.lua Hans needs to add
>
>      { "la",  "hyph-la.tex",            "latin" },
> [after this line]
>      { "lt",  "hyph-lt.tex",            "lithuanian" },
>      { "lv",  "hyph-lv.tex",            "latvian" },
>
> and regenerate the patterns (and double-checking that nothing broke in
> the meantime). [You can also take hyph-lt.tex and copy it to
> tex/context/patterns/lang-lt.pat as a temporary solution.]

ok, generated, will be next beta, untested and unchecked of course

> Apart from that you need to submit translation for your language (see
> lang-ger.tex and lang-bal.tex), or at least that would be very nice.
> Some settings there are necessary if you want to enable the extra
> patterns. There are some more things to be done, but you may start by
> translating the strings and filling other holes in lang-bal.tex.

patterns indeed won't work until we have an entry in lang0-.tex for
lithuanian

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-01-20 17:12     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-01-20 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 17:23, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 20-1-2010 17:10, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 09:07, Marius wrote:
>>>
>>> The hyphenation patterns for lithuanian language are missing. So, how
>>> does one add a new language and hyphenation patterns for ConTeXt?
>>
>> In scripts/context/lua/mtx-patterns.lua Hans needs to add
>>
>>     { "la",  "hyph-la.tex",            "latin" },
>> [after this line]
>>     { "lt",  "hyph-lt.tex",            "lithuanian" },
>>     { "lv",  "hyph-lv.tex",            "latvian" },
>>
>> and regenerate the patterns (and double-checking that nothing broke in
>> the meantime). [You can also take hyph-lt.tex and copy it to
>> tex/context/patterns/lang-lt.pat as a temporary solution.]
>
> ok, generated, will be next beta, untested and unchecked of course

Thanks a lot.

>> Apart from that you need to submit translation for your language (see
>> lang-ger.tex and lang-bal.tex), or at least that would be very nice.
>> Some settings there are necessary if you want to enable the extra
>> patterns. There are some more things to be done, but you may start by
>> translating the strings and filling other holes in lang-bal.tex.
>
> patterns indeed won't work until we have an entry in lang0-.tex for
> lithuanian

But this needs to be done by Marius (or someone else). Before anyone
asks: l7x that needs to be used by Lithuanian in MKII is not supported
in ConTeXt yet, so maybe the sensible setting in lang-bal.tex would
be:

\installlanguage
  [\s!lt]
  [...
   \s!mapping=, % the correct setting is l7x for both
   \s!encoding=]

if that means that the patterns will be loaded in xetex/luatex and not
in pdftex at all. Alternatively we could add support. Latin Modern and
TeX Gyre both support it (added in 2007 to LM and fixed in 2009 for
TG; I thought that l7x was missing in most fonts).

Mojca

* Re: new language and hyphenation
@ 2010-01-20 21:24   ` Marius
From: Marius @ 2010-01-20 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Mojca Miklavec <
mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Apart from that you need to submit translation for your language (see
> lang-ger.tex and lang-bal.tex), or at least that would be very nice.
> Some settings there are necessary if you want to enable the extra
> patterns. There are some more things to be done, but you may start by
> translating the strings and filling other holes in lang-bal.tex.

To do it I need to understand what all these parameters mean.

\installlanguage [..1.] [..,.=2.,..]
1 IDENTIFIER
2 spacing = packed broad
lefthyphenmin = NUMBER
righthyphenmin = NUMBER
state = start stop
leftsentence = COMMAND
rightsentence = COMMAND
leftsubsentence = COMMAND
rightsubsentence = COMMAND
leftquote = COMMAND
rightquote = COMMAND
leftquotation = COMMAND
rightquotation = COMMAND
leftspeech = COMMAND
middlespeech = COMMAND
rightspeech = COMMAND
limittext = TEXT
date = TEXT
compoundhyphen = COMMAND
leftcompoundhyphen = COMMAND
rightcompoundhyphen = COMMAND
default = IDENTIFIER

What is the difference between quote and quotation? I always use double
quote, like this: „example“

Next, I need to know there all strings, which I translate, will be used.
Maybe, there is an example document with all english strings used.

For example:
Figure 1: Caption of the figure
1 pav. Caption of the figure

Table 1: Caption of the table
1 lentelė. Caption of the table

In a table of contents and in section names there must be period after
number:

1. Name
1.1. Name2
1.1.2. Name3

exept:

Chapter 1
1 skyrius

> The main question is: do you need them only for MKIV/XeTeX or do you
> also want them for MKII? In the latter case you'll have quite some
> problems with encoding (that is: missing support for it in fonts).
>
> In MKIV & XeTeX it should be no problem.

I use utf8 and MKIV.

@ 2010-01-20 22:53     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-01-20 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 22:24, Marius <mariausol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Mojca Miklavec
> <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Apart from that you need to submit translation for your language (see
>> lang-ger.tex and lang-bal.tex), or at least that would be very nice.
>> Some settings there are necessary if you want to enable the extra
>> patterns. There are some more things to be done, but you may start by
>> translating the strings and filling other holes in lang-bal.tex.
>
> To do it I need to understand what all these parameters mean.
> \installlanguage [..1.] [..,.=2.,..]
> 1 IDENTIFIER
> 2 spacing = packed broad
> lefthyphenmin = NUMBER
should be 2
> righthyphenmin = NUMBER
should be 2 - the minimum number of characters that are allowed to the
left and right of hyphen character.

> state = start stop

start - enable language

> leftsentence = COMMAND
> rightsentence = COMMAND
> leftsubsentence = COMMAND
> rightsubsentence = COMMAND

> leftquote = COMMAND
> rightquote = COMMAND

Quote is for single quotation mark (when nesting):
    A said: \quotation{B said: \quote{some sentence}}

> leftquotation = COMMAND
> rightquotation = COMMAND
> leftspeech = COMMAND
> middlespeech = COMMAND
> rightspeech = COMMAND
> limittext = TEXT
> date = TEXT

Take a look at other examples in lang-ger/ita/sla/....tex. You need to
write date format.

> compoundhyphen = COMMAND
> leftcompoundhyphen = COMMAND
> rightcompoundhyphen = COMMAND
> default = IDENTIFIER
> What is the difference between quote and quotation? I always use double
> quote, like this: „example“

Usually there must exist another set of quotation marks for nesting
quotations. Rarely used, but ...

> Next, I need to know there all strings, which I translate, will be used.
> Maybe, there is an example document with all english strings used.

There is no, but maybe we could make one :)

> For example:
> Figure 1: Caption of the figure
> 1 pav. Caption of the figure
> Table 1: Caption of the table
> 1 lentelė. Caption of the table

Nice. I guess that you gave a nice homework to Hans :)
I didn't check, but I have not seen any setting to change the order of
number & label yet.

> In a table of contents and in section names there must be period after
> number:

This can be fixed in mkiv; a bit harder in mkii.

> 1. Name
> 1.1. Name2
> 1.1.2. Name3
> exept:
> Chapter 1
> 1 skyrius
>>
>> The main question is: do you need them only for MKIV/XeTeX or do you
>> also want them for MKII?
>
> I use utf8 and MKIV.

That's fine then.

Mojca

* Re: new language and hyphenation
@ 2010-01-21  5:33       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-01-21  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 20.01.10 23:53, schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>> For example:
>> Figure 1: Caption of the figure
>> 1 pav. Caption of the figure
>> Table 1: Caption of the table
>> 1 lentelė. Caption of the table
>
> Nice. I guess that you gave a nice homework to Hans :)
> I didn't check, but I have not seen any setting to change the order of
> number&  label yet.
not what you want but this works

\setuplabeltext[...][...={left of number}{right of number}]
>> In a table of contents and in section names there must be period after
>> number:
>
> This can be fixed in mkiv; a bit harder in mkii.
\setupheads[sectionstopper=.]

Wolfgang

* Re: new language and hyphenation
@ 2010-01-21  9:18       ` Marius
From: Marius @ 2010-01-21  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:53 AM, Mojca Miklavec <
mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> > 2 spacing = packed broad
> > lefthyphenmin = NUMBER
> should be 2
> > righthyphenmin = NUMBER
> should be 2 - the minimum number of characters that are allowed to the
> left and right of hyphen character.

I think in lithuanian must be:
lefthyphenmin = 1
righthyphenmin = 1

*a-ša-ra*
*Ro-me-o*
http://www.vlkk.lt/lit/nutarimai/rasyba/zodziu-kelimas.html
<http://www.vlkk.lt/lit/nutarimai/rasyba/zodziu-kelimas.html>

> leftquote = COMMAND
> > rightquote = COMMAND
>
> Quote is for single quotation mark (when nesting):
>    A said: \quotation{B said: \quote{some sentence}}

> > compoundhyphen = COMMAND
> > leftcompoundhyphen = COMMAND
> > rightcompoundhyphen = COMMAND
> > default = IDENTIFIER
> > What is the difference between quote and quotation? I always use double
> > quote, like this: „example“
>
> Usually there must exist another set of quotation marks for nesting
> quotations. Rarely used, but ...

There is no nested punctuation symbols in lithuanian language.

All symbols are listed here:
http://www.vlkk.lt/lit/nutarimai/dokumentas.156.html

They are:
2. Lietuvių kalboje vartojami skyrybos ženklai: taškas ( . ), kablelis ( ,
), kabliataškis ( ; ), dvitaškis ( : ), brūkšnys ( – ), klaustukas ( ? ),
šauktukas ( ! ), daugtaškis ( ... ), skliaustai: atidaromasis ( ( ),
uždaromasis ( ) ); kabutės: atidaromosios ( „ ), uždaromosios ( “ ).

As said here: http://www.vlkk.lt/lit/7696
I can use nested quotations like this (droped one quote at the begining of
quotation):

Pabrango „Utenos“ Utenos“ alus.

A said:  „B said: „some sentence“. (droped one quote at the end)

Or if it is not clear I can quote in italic or bold or etc.

A said: „B said: *some sentence“.*
**

* Re: new language and hyphenation
@ 2010-01-22 11:16         ` Marius
From: Marius @ 2010-01-22 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

How do I test translation?
I do it this way, is it correct?

Translated lang-bal.tex (not finished yet)
luatools --generate
context --make

But I get an error, then I run context --make

) (C:/doc/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lang-art.tex
) (C:/doc/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lang-bal.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \??la \s!lt
                       \c!state
\doifdefinedelse #1->\ifcsname #1
                                 \endcsname \@EA \firstoftwoarguments \else
<argument> \doiflanguageelse {\s!lt }
                                      {\getparameters [\??la \s!lt
][\c!spac...
\firstoftwoarguments #1#2->#1

l.38    \s!righthyphenmin=2]

?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%  Lettish/Latvian, Lietuvių/Lithuanian

\unprotect

\installlanguage
  [\s!lt]
  [\c!spacing=\v!packed,
   \c!leftsentence=---,
   \c!rightsentence=---,
   \c!leftsubsentence=---,
   \c!rightsubsentence=---,
   \c!leftquote=\lowerleftdoubleninequote,
   \c!rightquote=\upperrightdoublesixquote,
   \c!leftquotation=\lowerleftdoubleninequote,
   \c!rightquotation=\upperrightdoublesixquote,
   \c!date={\v!year~m.\ \v!month\ \v!day~d.},
   \s!patterns=\s!lt,
   \s!lefthyphenmin=2,
   \s!righthyphenmin=2]

\protect \endinput

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

* Re: new language and hyphenation
@ 2010-01-22 12:11           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-01-22 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-1-2010 12:16, Marius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How do I test translation?
> I do it this way, is it correct?
>
> Translated lang-bal.tex (not finished yet)
> luatools --generate
> context --make
>
> But I get an error, then I run context --make
>
> ) (C:/doc/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lang-art.tex
> ) (C:/doc/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lang-bal.tex
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> <argument>  \??la \s!lt
>                         \c!state
> \doifdefinedelse #1->\ifcsname #1
>                                   \endcsname \@EA \firstoftwoarguments \else
> <argument>  \doiflanguageelse {\s!lt }
>                                        {\getparameters [\??la \s!lt
> ][\c!spac...
> \firstoftwoarguments #1#2->#1
>
> l.38    \s!righthyphenmin=2]
>
> ?
>

> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> %  Lettish/Latvian, Lietuvių/Lithuanian
>
> \unprotect

\definesystemconstant {lithuanian}    \definesystemconstant {lt}

> \installlanguage
>    [\s!lt]
>    [\c!spacing=\v!packed,
>     \c!leftsentence=---,
>     \c!rightsentence=---,
>     \c!leftsubsentence=---,
>     \c!rightsubsentence=---,
>     \c!leftquote=\lowerleftdoubleninequote,
>     \c!rightquote=\upperrightdoublesixquote,
>     \c!leftquotation=\lowerleftdoubleninequote,
>     \c!rightquotation=\upperrightdoublesixquote,
>     \c!date={\v!year~m.\ \v!month\ \v!day~d.},
>     \s!patterns=\s!lt,
>     \s!lefthyphenmin=2,
>     \s!righthyphenmin=2]
>
> \protect \endinput
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-01-22 13:08             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-01-22 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

One thing that doesn't work here is
   \s!mapping=,
   \s!encoding=,

It doesn't respect the fact that I don't want to use any patterns in
mkii (encoding={ec,il2} works properly, but empty parameter seem to
assume ec by default). Maybe we need to add l7x support after all (or
Hans needs to fix the behaviour).

Else TeX MKII reports invalid patterns.

Mojca

* Re: new language and hyphenation
@ 2010-01-22 13:58               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-01-22 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-1-2010 14:08, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> One thing that doesn't work here is
>     \s!mapping=,
>     \s!encoding=,
>
> It doesn't respect the fact that I don't want to use any patterns in
> mkii (encoding={ec,il2} works properly, but empty parameter seem to
> assume ec by default). Maybe we need to add l7x support after all (or
> Hans needs to fix the behaviour).

you could probably disable the default fallback language for lt then but
maybe indeed we need to add 17x

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-01-22 14:09         ` Marius
From: Marius @ 2010-01-22 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Wolfgang Schuster <
schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 20.01.10 23:53, schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>  For example:
>>> Figure 1: Caption of the figure
>>> 1 pav. Caption of the figure
>>> Table 1: Caption of the table
>>> 1 lentelė. Caption of the table
>>>

>> Nice. I guess that you gave a nice homework to Hans :)
>> I didn't check, but I have not seen any setting to change the order of
>> number&  label yet.
>>
> not what you want but this works
>
> \setuplabeltext[...][...={left of number}{right of number}]

\setuplabeltext [\s!lt] [\v!table={xxx}{lentelė }]

and output is:

xxxlentelė 1.1  Name of table

>  In a table of contents and in section names there must be period after
>>> number:
>>>

>> This can be fixed in mkiv; a bit harder in mkii.
>>
> \setupheads[sectionstopper=.]

This command does not work if placed in the lang-bal.tex file.

* Re: new language and hyphenation
@ 2010-01-22 15:45           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-01-22 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.01.10 15:09, schrieb Marius:
> \setuplabeltext [\s!lt] [\v!table={xxx}{lentelė }]
>
> and output is:
>
> xxxlentelė 1.1  Name of table
\setuplabeltext[\s!lt][\v!table={xxx , lentelė }]

>         In a table of contents and in section names there must be
>         period after
>         number:
>

>     This can be fixed in mkiv; a bit harder in mkii.
>
>     \setupheads[sectionstopper=.]
>

> This command does not work if placed in the lang-bal.tex file.
Don't do this because it will affect in this way each document in ConTeXt.

I don't what Hans current meaning about language specific settings is but
in MkII you could have done this with:

\startlanguagespecifics[\s!lt]
     \setuphads[\c!sectionstopper=.]
\stoplanguagespecifics

You get now a dot at the end of the section number when write
\mainlanguage[lithuanian] in the preamble of your document.

Wolfgang

* Re: new language and hyphenation
@ 2010-01-22 18:02             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-01-22 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's the encoding vector (one needs to add it to at least
enco-ini.mkii and font-enc.lua, maybe to typescripts as well, though
not necessary if you don't plan to use mkii).

It's not too well tested and I also wasn't able to decrypt what all
the characters in encoding are.

(In particular case mappings for german double s and dotless i might be wrong.)

Then you can use encoding=l7x in lang-bal.tex. It seems to work for
me, though I have no idea if it also works properly.

Mojca

[-- Attachment #2: enco-l7x.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 2359 bytes --]

* Re: new language and hyphenation
@ 2010-01-23  9:51             ` Marius
From: Marius @ 2010-01-23  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)