* Speed of texexec with Unicode TrueType Font
@ 2010-01-23 10:48 Bryant Eastham
From: Bryant Eastham @ 2010-01-23 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1067 bytes --]

All-

Apologies if the question should go to another list - let me know if so.

I am using texexec with MSPMincho on a Japanese utf-8 document. I followed the instructions and it appears to work well.

Texexec runs several passes, and on each pass spends a *long* time integrating each font "page". I get many lines saying:

{<path to enc>/MSPMinchoXX.enc}<<path to tt>/MSPMincho.ttf>

The time taken in this process is many times that of the rest of the conversion. The resulting PDF font properties lists "MS-PMincho (Embedded Subset), Type: TrueType, Encoding: Built-in" 75 times. I imagine that I am glad that the whole font is not included (for file size). However, during development it is painful to wait.

Is there a way to optimize the process?

Thanks,
-Bryant

[Panasonic]

Panasonic Electric Works Laboratory of America - SLC Lab
4525 So. Wasatch Blvd., Suite 100, 84124
Salt Lake City, UT 84124

T 801.993.7124
F 801.993.7260
beastham@pewla.us.pewg.pansonic.com

Bryant Eastham
Chief Architect

[Panasonic]

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 10240 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: image001.gif --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 3779 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.3: image003.gif --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 2360 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.4: image004.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 168 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.5: image005.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 168 bytes --]

* Re: Speed of texexec with Unicode TrueType Font
@ 2010-01-23 11:10 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-01-23 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bryant Eastham wrote:
> All-
>
> Apologies if the question should go to another list - let me know if
> so.

The pdftex list would have been better, but I think I can answer
anyway.

> I am using texexec with MSPMincho on a Japanese utf-8 document. I
> followed the instructions and it appears to work well.

> Texexec runs several passes, and on each pass spends a *long* time
> integrating each font "page". I get many lines saying:
>
> {<path to enc>/MSPMinchoXX.enc}<<path to tt>/MSPMincho.ttf>
>
> The time taken in this process is many times that of the rest of the
> conversion. The resulting PDF font properties lists "MS-PMincho
> (Embedded Subset), Type: TrueType, Encoding: Built-in" 75 times. I
> imagine that I am glad that the whole font is not included (for file
> size). However, during development it is painful to wait.

Large font support in pdftex is suboptimal: for each encoding block
of 256 characters, it has to reload and re-subset the complete ttf font.

It is unlikely this situation will ever improve, and the best option is
to switch to using one of the two new engines: xetex or luatex. This
will need different font commands from the ones you used for pdftex,
though.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Speed of texexec with Unicode TrueType Font
@ 2010-01-23 11:12 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-01-23 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.01.10 11:48, schrieb Bryant Eastham:
> All-
>
> Apologies if the question should go to another list – let me know if so.
>
> I am using texexec with MSPMincho on a Japanese utf-8 document. I
> followed the instructions and it appears to work well.
>
> Texexec runs several passes, and on each pass spends a **long** time
> integrating each font “page”. I get many lines saying:
>
> {<path to enc>/MSPMinchoXX.enc}<<path to tt>/MSPMincho.ttf>
>
> The time taken in this process is many times that of the rest of the
> conversion. The resulting PDF font properties lists “MS-PMincho
> (Embedded Subset), Type: TrueType, Encoding: Built-in” 75 times. I
> imagine that I am glad that the whole font is not included (for file
> size). However, during development it is painful to wait.

Can you provide a example.

Have you considered to use MkIV?

Wolfgang

* Re: Speed of texexec with Unicode TrueType Font
@ 2010-01-23 13:19   ` Bryant Eastham
From: Bryant Eastham @ 2010-01-23 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang-

I can provide an example, but based on Taco's response it is unlikely to be of benefit.

I have in the past tried more recent releases. I was not able to navigate the documentation and bugs to get something working.

As this is merely an optimization issue, I can deal with the performance for now and (once things are all working) evaluate MkIV again in the future.

Thanks,
-Bryant