* Context and Windows7
@ 2010-02-01 11:51 Keith McKay
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Keith McKay @ 2010-02-01 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I want to install ConText on my Windows7 computer.  I thought that it
would be a good idea if I checked the mailing list archive first, to see
if there had been any problems with Windows7.  I didn't find any
messages related to Windows7, but I don't know if this is a good or bad
thing.  There is 1 page on the wiki regarding a problem with the
complete configuration of Context in Windows7 and Scite which a user has.

I was going to go ahead and download the mswin zip file from the pragma
web site, but, the zip file just seems to exist there now as the
minimals distribution, rather than the 'big' distribution I had on my
old computer (which has gone to that great scrap heap in the sky due to
a catastrophic failure).

So, I'm looking for advice before I go any further. Should I download
the minimals and look into an editor other than Scite, which I never
felt totally comfortable with anyway.  Should I just go straight to
luatex and MKIV? Are there other options available?

Best Wishes

Keith

* Re: Context and Windows7
@ 2010-02-01 12:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-02-01 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1-2-2010 12:51, Keith McKay wrote:
> I want to install ConText on my Windows7 computer.  I thought that it
> would be a good idea if I checked the mailing list archive first, to see
> if there had been any problems with Windows7. I didn't find any messages
> related to Windows7, but I don't know if this is a good or bad thing.
> There is 1 page on the wiki regarding a problem with the complete
> configuration of Context in Windows7 and Scite which a user has.
>
> I was going to go ahead and download the mswin zip file from the pragma
> web site, but, the zip file just seems to exist there now as the
> minimals distribution, rather than the 'big' distribution I had on my
> old computer (which has gone to that great scrap heap in the sky due to
> a catastrophic failure).
>
> So, I'm looking for advice before I go any further. Should I download
> the minimals and look into an editor other than Scite, which I never
> felt totally comfortable with anyway. Should I just go straight to
> luatex and MKIV? Are there other options available?

just install the minimals from contextgarden.net

i run vista myself and it works ok; i tested it with seven beta in a
virtual machine a while ago (no seven here now) and there were no problems

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Context and Windows7
@ 2010-02-01 15:09 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-02-01 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:51, Keith McKay wrote:
> Should I download the
> minimals and look into an editor other than Scite, which I never felt
> totally comfortable with anyway.

There is also TeXworks (--goodies=texworks) in command line. Scite is
almost ready to be used the same way. Hans sent me a file for scite
support, but I'm not sure yet where to put the binaries and all the
special setting files (without testing on windows).

Mojca

(But I have no time to fix anything today.)

* Re: Context and Windows7
@ 2010-02-01 19:59 ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2010-02-01 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 01.02.2010 12:51, Keith McKay wrote:
> I want to install ConText on my Windows7 computer.  I thought that it
> would be a good idea if I checked the mailing list archive first, to
> see if there had been any problems with Windows7.  I didn't find any
> messages related to Windows7, but I don't know if this is a good or
> bad thing.  There is 1 page on the wiki regarding a problem with the
> complete configuration of Context in Windows7 and Scite which a user has.

No problems at all with Windows7 (64bit).

> I was going to go ahead and download the mswin zip file from the
> pragma web site, but, the zip file just seems to exist there now as
> the minimals distribution, rather than the 'big' distribution I had on
> my old computer (which has gone to that great scrap heap in the sky
> due to a catastrophic failure).
>
> So, I'm looking for advice before I go any further. Should I download
> the minimals and look into an editor other than Scite, which I never
> felt totally comfortable with anyway.

A good Windows editor is Notepad++. I started out with Scite, then used
TeXworks for some time also. TeXworks is nice with the integrated pdf
view and synctex, but is not really comfortable as editor. Notepad++ has
the same editing comfort as Scite (both on Scintilla) plus a 'friendly'
gui and some nice features like double editor windows, a very good
"search in all open files", and some very handy plugins (compare,
explorer, NPPexec ...). Do a search on the list and you will find a
context-npp package made by one of the list members. It's a bit dated
(you have to tweak some things) but it will help you greatly to get an
idea how to set up the editor for context.

> Should I just go straight to luatex and MKIV? Are there other options
> available?

 From my personal experience: For small quick projects - where you
immediately see if the needed things work or not - I use mkiv, but for
longer, format rich, meandering projects its safer (better for the
nerves) to use mkii . I already started two longer projects with mkiv
and always had to retreat to mkii because in the course of the work I
stumbled upon some (for me) unsolvable problems that were crucial for my
project, and not solved by the development of mkiv within my time frame.
But anyway, also the next big project I will fearlessly begin giving
mkiv a try, and with a bit of luck I will not fall into a mkiv pit hole ;)

Best wishes

Thomas

* Re: Context and Windows7
@ 2010-02-02  8:42   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-02-02  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1-2-2010 20:59, Thomas Floeren wrote:

> A good Windows editor is Notepad++. I started out with Scite, then used
> TeXworks for some time also. TeXworks is nice with the integrated pdf
> view and synctex, but is not really comfortable as editor. Notepad++ has
> the same editing comfort as Scite (both on Scintilla) plus a 'friendly'
> gui and some nice features like double editor windows, a very good
> "search in all open files", and some very handy plugins (compare,
> explorer, NPPexec ...). Do a search on the list and you will find a
> context-npp package made by one of the list members. It's a bit dated
> (you have to tweak some things) but it will help you greatly to get an
> idea how to set up the editor for context.

i use scite for all editing but as soon as textadept (lua based
scintilla) gets a proper runner (process with realtime io) i'll switch
to that

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Context and Windows7
@ 2010-02-02 18:21     ` Keith McKay
From: Keith McKay @ 2010-02-02 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks to all for the helpfull advice.  Minimals installed no problem
and I managed to get Scite up and running after using the usefull
information in the  Contextgarden Wiki.  I'll have a play around with
Texworks and Notepad++ and see how I get on with them.  I look forward
to Textadept - when Hans is happy with it.

Thanks again to all.

Best Wishes

Keith McKay