* Adding Items to Bibliography
@ 2010-02-08 13:35 Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-02-08 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

yesterday I tried to use some BibTeX bibliography that I made earlier
for use with biblatex but I very soon ended up converting a garbled .bbl
to proper \[start|stop]publication format.  So my first question is,
whether this, without BibTeX, is the canonical way to typeset
bibliographies in ConTeXt?  The wiki is quite unclear about this and
bibmod-doc deals with BibTeX, too.  Or is everyone working in secret
with the MlBibTeX final release and those 8-Bit phenomena from the dark
past are already solved?

The second question: where would I begin if I wanted to setup (a) an
author-title format for \cite[] (I found no "\bibgetvarX" function to
query the publication title), and (b) substitution of consecutive
identical authornames with dashes (or "idem", if that matters) in the
publications list.

Thanks in advance for any clarification on this matter, bibliography
support is essential for me.

Philipp

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: Adding Items to Bibliography
@ 2010-02-09 15:08 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-02-09 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Philipp Gesang wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> yesterday I tried to use some BibTeX bibliography that I made earlier
> for use with biblatex but I very soon ended up converting a garbled .bbl
> to proper \[start|stop]publication format.  So my first question is,
> whether this, without BibTeX, is the canonical way to typeset
> bibliographies in ConTeXt?

I am not sure what 'this' refer to (esp. the reference to biblatex),
but I can tell you that using \[start|stop]publication blocks in a
hand-written bbl file is the way to go if you don't want to use bibtex.

> The second question: where would I begin if I wanted to setup (a) an
> author-title format for \cite[] (I found no "\bibgetvarX" function to
> query the publication title),

Somewhat answered in my other mail, maybe, but if you actually want
\cite[title] to do something, then you need to define a macro called
\bibtitleref, which is not all that easy. It is a lot easier to
write a special use macro based on \getcitedata

> and (b) substitution of consecutive
> identical authornames with dashes (or "idem", if that matters) in the
> publications list.

IIRC, there has been a solution posted to this list a while back
(but not by me)

Best wishes,
Taco