* Re: floatrow
       [not found] <mailman.192.1265631477.26807.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2010-02-08 16:47 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2010-02-08 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Bernhard,
Did you ever try \startcombination? I feel like it could solve your
problem, but not sure...
> there is a nice LaTeX package called floatrow. Most of the things what it does you can do with ConTeXt much more easily expect (i think) one thing: placing more than one picture in a given width with automatic rescaling of the images so all images in one row have the same height. This feature is really handy for me. Maybe there is something in ConTeXt which does the same and i´m missing something?
Regards,
Vyatcheslav

* Re: floatrow
@ 2010-02-08 17:01   ` Bernhard Rosensteiner
From: Bernhard Rosensteiner @ 2010-02-08 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.02.2010 um 17:47 schrieb Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky:

> Hi Bernhard,
> Did you ever try \startcombination? I feel like it could solve your problem, but not sure...
>> there is a nice LaTeX package called floatrow. Most of the things what it does you can do with ConTeXt much more easily expect (i think) one thing: placing more than one picture in a given width with automatic rescaling of the images so all images in one row have the same height. This feature is really handy for me. Maybe there is something in ConTeXt which does the same and i´m missing something?
> Regards,
> Vyatcheslav

Hi,

yes i´m aware of \startcombination and also \startfloatcombination but i think this has not that automatic feature which i described (the height of the pictures will be adjusted automatically so all pictures in one row have the same height - the outcome of the height is so not really predictable)

best regards
Bernhard

* Re: floatrow
@ 2010-02-08 17:34     ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]       ` <173DF9DB-E511-4E50-8176-9B81A9E65882@gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-02-08 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-2-2010 18:01, Bernhard Rosensteiner wrote:
> Am 08.02.2010 um 17:47 schrieb Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky:
>
>> Hi Bernhard,
>> Did you ever try \startcombination? I feel like it could solve your problem, but not sure...
>>> there is a nice LaTeX package called floatrow. Most of the things what it does you can do with ConTeXt much more easily expect (i think) one thing: placing more than one picture in a given width with automatic rescaling of the images so all images in one row have the same height. This feature is really handy for me. Maybe there is something in ConTeXt which does the same and i´m missing something?
>> Regards,
>> Vyatcheslav
>
> Hi,
>
> yes i´m aware of \startcombination and also \startfloatcombination but i think this has not that automatic feature which i described (the height of the pictures will be adjusted automatically so all pictures in one row have the same height - the outcome of the height is so not really predictable)

normally one will have categories of graphics, so you can do things like
(one of the oldest mechanisms)

\starttext

\defineexternalfigure[whatever][height=3cm]

\startcombination
     {\externalfigure[cow.pdf] [whatever]} {a}
     {\externalfigure[mill.png][whatever]} {b}
\stopcombination

\stoptext

it's trivial to add a few more inheritance features but on the other
hand one quickly ends up in fuzzy behaviour

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: floatrow
       [not found]           ` <D0FDB3CC-C918-4F7B-83A2-B26215BAE164@gmail.com>
@ 2010-02-08 22:07             ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]               ` <8871B38A-DC39-4D85-AE52-6DDAB8A4BD6E@gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-02-08 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-2-2010 22:16, Bernhard Rosensteiner wrote:
> Am 08.02.2010 um 19:42 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> On 8-2-2010 18:52, Bernhard Rosensteiner wrote:
>>
>>> thanks for the hint with \defineexternalfigure… - indeed useful.
>>> The „automatic“ feature of floatrow is nice but not so important that i will ever switch back to LaTeX.
>>
>> it's no big deal to make some scaler but the problem is what to take as reference, specify it etc etc. If it's not the first image, then we need multiple passes. too much automatism with graphics is a bit tricky
>
> it would be nice to have something like:
>
> \startfloatcombination[3*2, width=.8\textwidth]
> \externalfigure….
> \externalfigure….
> \externalfigure….
> \externalfigure….
> \externalfigure….
> \externalfigure….
> \stopfloatcombination
>
> and all graphics fit in the given width with same height in one row. I found this feature in floatrow useful because i had a lot of graphics in different widths and heights so it was easy to „stitch“ them together. On the programming side i have no idea how complicated something would be (i´m only a happy context user). Maybe you consider something to implement in future?

it's not that complex to make something like that (but there's a bit
more to it, like distances and so we always end up with a bit more code)

also, this does not really fit into the user interface ... (mixed
keywords and key/values)

as it should be a generic feature i.e. not only for images, we more end
up with something

\definecombination
   [whatever]
   [width=.8\textwidth,
    height=equal,
    distance=1em]

\startcombination[whatever][3*2]
   {\externalfigure...} {}
   {\externalfigure...} {}
   {\externalfigure...} {}
\startcombination

where equal will eventually scale up the heights of the content

looking at combinations, i have to mkiv-ize that code anyway so at that
time i could add that feature (i have to take a look at some project
styles as we often do combination trickery)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: floatrow
       [not found]               ` <8871B38A-DC39-4D85-AE52-6DDAB8A4BD6E@gmail.com>
@ 2010-02-09 17:29                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-02-09 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-2-2010 23:18, Bernhard Rosensteiner wrote:
> Am 08.02.2010 um 23:07 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>>> it would be nice to have something like:
>>>
>>> \startfloatcombination[3*2, width=.8\textwidth]
>>> \externalfigure….
>>> \externalfigure….
>>> \externalfigure….
>>> \externalfigure….
>>> \externalfigure….
>>> \externalfigure….
>>> \stopfloatcombination
>>>
>>> and all graphics fit in the given width with same height in one row. I found this feature in floatrow useful because i had a lot of graphics in different widths and heights so it was easy to „stitch“ them together. On the programming side i have no idea how complicated something would be (i´m only a happy context user). Maybe you consider something to implement in future?
>>
>> it's not that complex to make something like that (but there's a bit more to it, like distances and so we always end up with a bit more code)
>>
>> also, this does not really fit into the user interface ... (mixed keywords and key/values)
>>
>> as it should be a generic feature i.e. not only for images, we more end up with something
>>
>> \definecombination
>>   [whatever]
>>   [width=.8\textwidth,
>>    height=equal,
>>    distance=1em]
>>
>> \startcombination[whatever][3*2]
>>   {\externalfigure...} {}
>>   {\externalfigure...} {}
>>   {\externalfigure...} {}
>> \startcombination
>>
>> where equal will eventually scale up the heights of the content
>>
>> looking at combinations, i have to mkiv-ize that code anyway so at that time i could add that feature (i have to take a look at some project styles as we often do combination trickery)
>
> yes please! and sorry for my clumsy user interface suggestion...

in beta

\startexternalfigurecollection[name]
     \useexternalfigure[cow] [cow.pdf]
     \useexternalfigure[mill][mill.png]
\stopexternalfigurecollection

\starttext

\bTABLE
     \bTR
         \bTD \externalfigure[cow]
[height=\externalfigurecollectionmaxheight{name}] \eTD
         \bTD
\externalfigure[mill][height=\externalfigurecollectionmaxheight{name}] \eTD
     \eTR
\eTABLE

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE