* Re: tabs in Lilypond
       [not found] <mailman.270.1265959988.26807.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2010-02-12 12:56 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2010-02-12 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thank you, Hraban. I've already solved my problems with Lilypond guitar
tab notation.  )

And you are right, it's easy to include LilyPond's PDFs as externalfigure.

Vyatcheslav

* Example markup
       [not found] <mailman.270.1265959988.26807.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2010-02-12 16:55 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2010-02-12 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

There are examples (usually one paragraph long) in my lecture text, and
I want them to be typeset in smaller font (\tfx). An excerpt:

The entities in question fall into two broad categories: {\em
endogenous} (intrinsic to the SUI itself) and {\em exogenous} (belonging
to a system's environment).

\example{All processes that take place inside Earth (and other planets)
are considered endogenous. These processes make the continents migrate,
push the mountains up, trigger earthquakes and volcanism, and are driven
by the warmth that is produced in the core of Earth.}

More text...

I hesitate about how to define \example. I know about \definedescription
and \defineenumeration, but they seem not much logically suitable to me.
What could you advise?

Regards,
Vyatcheslav

* Re: Example markup
@ 2010-02-12 17:59   ` Bernhard Rosensteiner
From: Bernhard Rosensteiner @ 2010-02-12 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hello,
>
> There are examples (usually one paragraph long) in my lecture text, and I want them to be typeset in smaller font (\tfx). An excerpt:
>

> The entities in question fall into two broad categories: {\em endogenous} (intrinsic to the SUI itself) and {\em exogenous} (belonging to a system's environment).
>
> \example{All processes that take place inside Earth (and other planets) are considered endogenous. These processes make the continents migrate, push the mountains up, trigger earthquakes and volcanism, and are driven by the warmth that is produced in the core of Earth.}
>

> More text...
>

> I hesitate about how to define \example. I know about \definedescription and \defineenumeration, but they seem not much logically suitable to me. What could you advise?
>

> Regards,
> Vyatcheslav

Hi,

maybe you mean something like that:

\define[1]\example{\tfx#1\tfa}

\starttext

\input tufte

\example{\input tufte}

\input tufte

\stoptext

best regards
Bernhard

* Re: Example markup
@ 2010-02-12 18:15     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-02-12 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.02.10 18:59, schrieb Bernhard Rosensteiner:
> maybe you mean something like that:
>
> \define[1]\example{\tfx#1\tfa}

brr, when you want to define it in this way you should use grouping, e.g.

\define[1]\example{{\tfx#1}}

a better solution is

\define\example{\groupedcommand{\tfx}{}}

because you can now write

\example{...} and {\example ...}

The best way is to use \definealternativestyle, e.g.

\definealternativestyle [example] [\tfx] [\tfx]

the command takes three arguments because you can set with
the third argument a different behaviour in titles etc.

A third way is \definestartstop, e.g.

\definestartstop[example][style=\tfx]

this creates not only the command \example but also a example
environment where you get a smaller font.

Wolfgang

* Re: Example markup
@ 2010-02-12 18:28       ` Bernhard Rosensteiner
From: Bernhard Rosensteiner @ 2010-02-12 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 12.02.10 18:59, schrieb Bernhard Rosensteiner:
>> maybe you mean something like that:
>>
>> \define[1]\example{\tfx#1\tfa}
>>
> brr, when you want to define it in this way you should use grouping, e.g.
>
> \define[1]\example{{\tfx#1}}
>
> a better solution is
>
> \define\example{\groupedcommand{\tfx}{}}
>
> because you can now write
>
> \example{...} and {\example ...}
>

> The best way is to use \definealternativestyle, e.g.
>
> \definealternativestyle [example] [\tfx] [\tfx]
>
> the command takes three arguments because you can set with
> the third argument a different behaviour in titles etc.
>

> A third way is \definestartstop, e.g.
>
> \definestartstop[example][style=\tfx]
>
> this creates not only the command \example but also a example
> environment where you get a smaller font.

posting amateur solutions brings always the pro´s on the scene ;-)
thanks for your solutions

best regards
Bernhard

* Re: tabs in Lilypond
@ 2010-02-11 22:54     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-02-11 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2010-02-11 um 22:42 schrieb David Rogers:

>> Maybe it's wrong place to ask, but does anybody know how to typeset
>> guitar tabulatures in Lilypond?
>
> \new TabStaff { \clef "tab" c d e f g }

BTW LilyPond's documentation was recently reworked and is really nice
now!
(It was better than ConTeXt's before, at least WRT completeness.)

>> And is ConTeXt Lilypond module is up to date?
>
> Not sure about that. Last time I tried, I couldn't get it to work -
> but
> it was probably my fault.

I wouldn't blame you - it's been a while since I updated it, and it
always just works with a few versions of LilyPond and ConTeXt.

Sorry, I've more urgent things to do, and I don't need it at the
moment. It's limited anyway.
Probably it's easier to include LilyPond's PDFs as externalfigures if
you have special needs.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---