* Magazine imposition.
@ 2010-02-17 23:41 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2010-02-17 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

A person has asked for a solution to this problem: print a dual magazine where
the first half is a regular magazine, but the second half is a magazine with
the pages upside down with respect to the  first half. In other words the back
cover is really the front cover of the second magazine.  I assume that the
page counts of each magazine are equal.

I know that Context has an extensive imposition capability but I don't think
this particular problem has been addressed.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"

* Re: Magazine imposition.
@ 2010-02-18  9:29 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2010-02-18  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi John,

I do not have the complete answer to your question. The problem lies
in the fact that one should have the second document in a rotated form.
Once you have one document upright and the second rotated, you could
use the mechanisms described in page-imp.mkII/mkiv to create a single
document from the two base-documents.
Once the two documents are combined into one you could invoke arranging.

You can do things like:

\definepapersize
   [offset=15pt]
\setuppapersize
   [A5,landscape][A4,portrait]
\setuplayout
   [backspace=0pt,
   topspace=0pt,
   width=middle,
   height=middle,
   location=middle,
   header=0pt,
   footer=0pt]

\setuppagenumbering[location=,alternative=doublesided]
\setuparranging[2DOWN]
\starttext
	% \copypages
	% 	[the-review.pdf]
	% 	[scale=1000,
	% 	offset=0pt]
	% \filterpages
	%   [the-review.pdf][1:16][width=0pt]
    	\insertpages[the-review.pdf][width=0pt]
\stoptext

On Feb 18, 2010, at 12:41 AM, John Culleton wrote:

> A person has asked for a solution to this problem: print a dual
> magazine where
> the first half is a regular magazine, but the second half is a
> magazine with
> the pages upside down with respect to the  first half. In other
> words the back
> cover is really the front cover of the second magazine.  I assume
> that the
> page counts of each magazine are equal.
>
> I know that Context has an extensive imposition capability but I
> don't think
> this particular problem has been addressed.
> --
> John Culleton
> "Create Book Covers with Scribus"
> Printable E-book 38 pages $5.95
> http://www.booklocker.com/books/4055.html
> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Magazine imposition.
@ 2010-02-18 12:19   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-02-18 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-2-2010 10:29, Willi Egger wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I do not have the complete answer to your question. The problem lies in
> the fact that one should have the second document in a rotated form.
> Once you have one document upright and the second rotated, you could use
> the mechanisms described in page-imp.mkII/mkiv to create a single
> document from the two base-documents.
> Once the two documents are combined into one you could invoke arranging.
>
> You can do things like:
>
> \definepapersize
> [offset=15pt]
> \setuppapersize
> [A5,landscape][A4,portrait]
> \setuplayout
> [backspace=0pt,
> topspace=0pt,
> width=middle,
> height=middle,
> location=middle,
> header=0pt,
> footer=0pt]
>
> \setuppagenumbering[location=,alternative=doublesided]
> \setuparranging[2DOWN]
> \starttext
> % \copypages
> % [the-review.pdf]
> % [scale=1000,
> % offset=0pt]
> % \filterpages
> % [the-review.pdf][1:16][width=0pt]
> \insertpages[the-review.pdf][width=0pt]
> \stoptext

I wonder how this imposes

\starttext
     \setuppapersize[A4]
     \dorecurse{10}{test\page}
     \setuppapersize[A4,rotated,180]
     \dorecurse{10}{test\page}
\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Magazine imposition.
@ 2010-02-18 13:35     ` Willi Egger
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Willi Egger @ 2010-02-18 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

So, that is a short cut!

I did not know weather the magazine was in context or not.
Anyway is there a possibility to rotate pages in a already typeset pdf?

Kind regards

Willi

@ 2010-02-18 13:46       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-02-18 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-2-2010 14:35, Willi Egger wrote:
> So, that is a short cut!
>
> I did not know weather the magazine was in context or not.
> Anyway is there a possibility to rotate pages in a already typeset pdf?

externalfigure has no rotation key, and this does not work out well

     \defineoverlay[realdirty][{\rotate[rotation=180]{\foregroundbox}}]

     \framed{\externalfigure[cow.pdf][background=realdirty]}

(no time now)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Magazine imposition.
@ 2010-02-18 14:22       ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-02-18 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Willi Egger

On Thursday 18 February 2010 14:35:00 Willi Egger wrote:
> So, that is a short cut!
>
> I did not know weather the magazine was in context or not.
> Anyway is there a possibility to rotate pages in a already typeset pdf?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Willi

pdftk is a pretty powerful tool:
http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/

Alan

* Re: Magazine imposition.
@ 2010-02-18 15:52       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-02-18 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Willi Egger <w.egger@boede.nl> wrote:
> So, that is a short cut!
>
> I did not know weather the magazine was in context or not.
> Anyway is there a possibility to rotate pages in a already typeset pdf?

like a rolling stone ?

%%test-willy
\starttext
\dorecurse{5}{\startTEXpage\framed[width=10cm,align=right]{\ss \input
knuth\relax}\stopTEXpage}
\stoptext

\starttext
\startTEXpage
\dorecurse{5}{%
\rotate[rotation=\numexpr 72 *
(\recurselevel-1)\relax]{\externalfigure[test-willy][page=\recurselevel]}%
}
\stopTEXpage
\stoptext

--
luigi

* Re: Magazine imposition.
@ 2010-02-18 16:43         ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2010-02-18 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Great, nicely packed in a joke! - This has not come to my mind as a
solution and I am sure that I will need this idea later on!
Thanks!

Willi

@ 2010-02-18 17:50 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-02-18 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, John Culleton wrote:

> A person has asked for a solution to this problem: print a dual magazine where
> the first half is a regular magazine, but the second half is a magazine with
> the pages upside down with respect to the  first half. In other words the back
> cover is really the front cover of the second magazine.  I assume that the
> page counts of each magazine are equal.
>
> I know that Context has an extensive imposition capability but I don't think
> this particular problem has been addressed.

No imposition, but I have added a reverse feature in a module that I am
working on.

http://github.com/adityam/cut-n-paste

\usemodule[cut-n-paste]

\starttext

\processcutNpaste[name={file1}]
\processcutNpaste[name={file2},rotation=180, alternative=reverse]

\stoptext

Due to a bug in \getfigureddimensions in MkIV, this only works correctly
in MkII. To use MkIV, you have to add

\setupcutNpaste[width=..., height=...]

Aditya

* Re: Magazine imposition.
@ 2010-02-19  9:54         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-02-19  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 18.02.10 14:46, schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 18-2-2010 14:35, Willi Egger wrote:
>> So, that is a short cut!
>>
>> I did not know weather the magazine was in context or not.
>> Anyway is there a possibility to rotate pages in a already typeset pdf?
>
> externalfigure has no rotation key, and this does not work out well
>
>     \defineoverlay[realdirty][{\rotate[rotation=180]{\foregroundbox}}]
>
>     \framed{\externalfigure[cow.pdf][background=realdirty]}
\externalfigure[cow][orientation=180]

Wolfgang