* Dezimalkomma
@ 2010-03-09 21:33 Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2010-03-09 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hallo,

if I write $0,8$ the distance between the ',' and the '8' is too big.
I can write $0,\!8$ or an other kern, but I don't see how I can write
a macro to avoid the extra effort.

Shouldn't be this gap in german (\mainlanguage[deo]) as big as $0.8$
in US? Is there a switch I have overseen?

\mainlanguage[deo]
\starttext
$0,8$

$0.8$

$0,\!8$
\stoptext

Thank you

Wolfgang

* Re: Dezimalkomma
@ 2010-03-10  5:28 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-03-10  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 09.03.10 22:33, schrieb Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini:
> Hallo,
>
> if I write $0,8$ the distance between the ',' and the '8' is too big.
> I can write $0,\!8$ or an other kern, but I don't see how I can write
> a macro to avoid the extra effort.

\setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]

Wolfgang

* Re: Dezimalkomma
@ 2010-03-10  8:28   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-03-10  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 06:28:52 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 09.03.10 22:33, schrieb Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini:
> > Hallo,
> >
> > if I write $0,8$ the distance between the ',' and the '8' is too big.
> > I can write $0,\!8$ or an other kern, but I don't see how I can write
> > a macro to avoid the extra effort.
>
> \setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]

Thanks! I have always used $0{,}8$ which is not very elegant.

Alan

* Re: Dezimalkomma
@ 2010-03-10 17:56     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-10 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10-3-2010 9:28, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 March 2010 06:28:52 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Am 09.03.10 22:33, schrieb Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini:
>>> Hallo,
>>>
>>> if I write $0,8$ the distance between the ',' and the '8' is too big.
>>> I can write $0,\!8$ or an other kern, but I don't see how I can write
>>> a macro to avoid the extra effort.

nasty error prone catcode changes is an alternative

>> \setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]
>>

> Thanks! I have always used $0{,}8$ which is not very elegant.

indeed, and as we often need coordinates in schoolbook math the
automatic features is there now

(there will and can be more such math goodies so don't hesitate to
collect them)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Dezimalkomma
@ 2010-03-10 20:43       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2010-03-10 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 06:56:32PM +0100, Hans Hagen napisał(a):
> (there will and can be more such math goodies so don't hesitate to
> collect them)
>
> Hans

I wrote about it some time ago, but I have deleted that email, so here
is the thing again.

In the Polish typesetting package for LaTeX, there are defined a few
commands like \tg and \ctg, since in Poland we write "tg" and not "tan",
and "ctg" and not "cot".  (There are also a few more commands, like
\arcssin generating arc\,sin etc. according to Polish customs.)  I know
that this is controversial, but it would be nice to have a switch so
that \tan also produces "tg" etc.  The reason behind it is that if we
treat TeX as a markup language and not a typesetting one (as is often
the case with mathematical formulae), we want to be able to adapt to
local typesetting traditions without changing the code.  Also, cutting
and pasting formulae between Polish and English texts (and I need it
from time to time, for example) would be easier that way.  I agree that
this need not be the default, but having it as an option would be handy
(although not really indispensable).  Would such a switch be possible
(without too much work, of course)?

And BTW: Hans, your post in the topic about docs for ConTeXt was *very*
interesting.  I am going to put the link to this thread in the archive
onto my personal blog.

Regards

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)

Stłumiony głos w końcu wypowie słowo prawdy - otworzą się usta!
Prawda - choćby zdeptana - zawsze pozostanie prawdą!
Żadna przemoc, chamstwo, kłamstwo nie uczynią z niej ofiary!
                        (Izaiash)

* Re: Dezimalkomma
@ 2010-03-10 22:59         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-10 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10-3-2010 21:43, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> Dnia Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 06:56:32PM +0100, Hans Hagen napisał(a):
>> (there will and can be more such math goodies so don't hesitate to
>> collect them)
>>
>> Hans
>
> I wrote about it some time ago, but I have deleted that email, so here
> is the thing again.
>
> In the Polish typesetting package for LaTeX, there are defined a few
> commands like \tg and \ctg, since in Poland we write "tg" and not "tan",
> and "ctg" and not "cot".  (There are also a few more commands, like
> \arcssin generating arc\,sin etc. according to Polish customs.)  I know
> that this is controversial, but it would be nice to have a switch so
> that \tan also produces "tg" etc.  The reason behind it is that if we
> treat TeX as a markup language and not a typesetting one (as is often
> the case with mathematical formulae), we want to be able to adapt to
> local typesetting traditions without changing the code.  Also, cutting
> and pasting formulae between Polish and English texts (and I need it
> from time to time, for example) would be easier that way.  I agree that
> this need not be the default, but having it as an option would be handy
> (although not really indispensable).  Would such a switch be possible
> (without too much work, of course)?

some things are easy (and can be written in parallel to watching a
movie) ... in the beta ...

\starttext

     $\tan{x} + \cos{x}$

     \mainlanguage[pl]

     $\tan{x} + \cos{x}$

     \mainlanguage[nl]

     $\tan{x} + \cos{x}$

\stoptext

currently no special switch for math so it goes with mainlanguage (but
one can overload \mathlabellanguage)

see math-lan.mkiv ... up to you (and others) to complete it

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Dezimalkomma
@ 2010-03-11  0:23           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-03-11  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 10-3-2010 21:43, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>> Dnia Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 06:56:32PM +0100, Hans Hagen napisał(a):
>>> (there will and can be more such math goodies so don't hesitate to
>>> collect them)
>>>
>>> Hans
>>
>> I wrote about it some time ago, but I have deleted that email, so here
>> is the thing again.
>>
>> In the Polish typesetting package for LaTeX, there are defined a few
>> commands like \tg and \ctg, since in Poland we write "tg" and not "tan",
>> and "ctg" and not "cot".  (There are also a few more commands, like
>> \arcssin generating arc\,sin etc. according to Polish customs.)  I know
>> that this is controversial, but it would be nice to have a switch so
>> that \tan also produces "tg" etc.  The reason behind it is that if we
>> treat TeX as a markup language and not a typesetting one (as is often
>> the case with mathematical formulae), we want to be able to adapt to
>> local typesetting traditions without changing the code.  Also, cutting
>> and pasting formulae between Polish and English texts (and I need it
>> from time to time, for example) would be easier that way.  I agree that
>> this need not be the default, but having it as an option would be handy
>> (although not really indispensable).  Would such a switch be possible
>> (without too much work, of course)?
>
> some things are easy (and can be written in parallel to watching a movie) ...
> in the beta ...
>
> \starttext
>
>    $\tan{x} + \cos{x}$
>
>    \mainlanguage[pl]
>
>    $\tan{x} + \cos{x}$
>
>    \mainlanguage[nl]
>
>    $\tan{x} + \cos{x}$
>
> \stoptext
>
> currently no special switch for math so it goes with mainlanguage (but one
> can overload \mathlabellanguage)

Is there some sort of a standard for the abbreviations of such functions?
Does the standard just depend on your main language, or does it also
depend on a particular field?

Depending on that, we should either switch the labels based on the main
language, or using a \setupmathematics switch.

Aditya

* Re: Dezimalkomma
@ 2010-03-11  4:16             ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2010-03-11  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 mars 2010, at 01:23, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> […]
> Is there some sort of a standard for the abbreviations of such functions? Does the standard just depend on your main language, or does it also depend on a particular field?
>
> Depending on that, we should either switch the labels based on the main language, or using a \setupmathematics switch.
>
> Aditya

Hi,

The matter of abbreviations for mathematical functions depends on countries, or maybe on languages: in French, somewhat like in Polish, the trigonometric functions tangent, cotangent are denoted as \tg, \cotg, and \arcsin is printed rather as arc{\,}sin. So the solution pointed out by Hans works fine (it is something like \quote{} which yields different quotation marks depending on how \mainlanguage[] is set). I just tested the example given by Hans with the latest beta… (indeed only in mkiv, since mkii is frozen).
Eventually maybe the best solution would be to have
\setupmathematics[mainlanguage=pl]

Best regards: OK

* Re: Dezimalkomma
@ 2010-03-11  8:57               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-11  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11-3-2010 5:16, Otared Kavian wrote:

> \setupmathematics[mainlanguage=pl]

indeed, but i want to wait woth that till we run into more language
dependent issues (as we might need to distinguish between label like
things and typesetting)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Dezimalkomma
@ 2010-03-11  8:59             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-11  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11-3-2010 1:23, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Is there some sort of a standard for the abbreviations of such
> functions? Does the standard just depend on your main language, or does
> it also depend on a particular field?

i've seen tg being used in nl as well so it might be an european thing

let's just collect them and then see what further action is needed

(fields is indeed another issue)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Dezimalkomma
@ 2010-03-14  8:31   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2010-03-14  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 mars 2010, at 18:51, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:

>> […]
>
> As I wrote, I tested on the garden. This version is current enough I
> thinck.

You need mkiv for
\setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]
to work: on the Garden your file is processed by mkii.

Best regards: OK

* Re: Dezimalkomma
       [not found] <mailman.818.1268320586.26807.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2010-03-13 17:51 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2010-03-13 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2010-03-11 17:51 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-03-11 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I must do something wrong. It is not working for me:
>
> \setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]
> \starttext
> $0,1$
> \stoptext
>
> tested on the garden.

This only works with MkIV. The garden currently just supports MkII.

Aditya

* Re: Dezimalkomma
@ 2010-03-11 15:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-11 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11-3-2010 12:41, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I must do something wrong. It is not working for me:
>
> \setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]
> \starttext
> $0,1$
> \stoptext