* starting on an even page
@ 2004-03-25 22:55 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2004-03-25 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is undoubtedly a simple-minded question. So, with apologies, let
me say that I wish to produce a chapter in doublesided mode that begins
on an even (left hand) page, say page 54. What I currently produce is a
blank page 54 (with correct header) followed by the chapter itself
starting on page 55 and looking exactly it should if page 55 were the
first page. In effect, ConTeXt is inserting a blank page so that the
first page of the chapter proper is odd. How do I stop it from doing
this? (There is no blank page if the first page number is in fact odd.)

Any suggestions or even pointers to some manual would be much
appreciated.

Alan

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 665 bytes --]

This is undoubtedly a simple-minded question. So, with apologies, let
me say that I wish to produce a chapter in doublesided mode that
begins on an even (left hand) page, say page 54. What I currently
produce is a blank page 54 (with correct header) followed by the
chapter itself  starting on page 55 and looking exactly it should
<italic>if</italic> page 55 were the first page. In effect, ConTeXt is
inserting a blank page so that the first page of the chapter proper is
odd. How do I stop it from doing this? (There is no blank page if the
first page number is in fact odd.)

Any suggestions or even pointers to some manual would be much
appreciated.

Alan

* Re: starting on an even page
@ 2004-03-26 20:44 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2004-03-26 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alan,

you might want to study the general manual on ConTeXt pp 136 ...

there is a command \setuphead:

\setuphead[chapter][page=yes]

AFAIK \setuphead[chapter] is set to [page=right] in normal setup.

Willi

Alan Bowen wrote:
> This is undoubtedly a simple-minded question. So, with apologies, let me
> say that I wish to produce a chapter in doublesided mode that begins on
> an even (left hand) page, say page 54. What I currently produce is a
> blank page 54 (with correct header) followed by the chapter itself
> starting on page 55 and looking exactly it should /if/ page 55 were the
> first page. In effect, ConTeXt is inserting a blank page so that the
> first page of the chapter proper is odd. How do I stop it from doing
> this? (There is no blank page if the first page number is in fact odd.)
>
> Any suggestions or even pointers to some manual would be much appreciated.
>
> Alan

* Re: starting on an even page
@ 2004-03-26 22:24   ` Alan C.Bowen
From: Alan C.Bowen @ 2004-03-26 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Willi—

Many thanks indeed. \setuphead is the key. (Thus far I have read the
short manual, but plainly I need to work through the general one as
well, if I am to understand how ConTeXt defines/addresses basic
typesetting issues. So there’s some of my summer reading!)

Cheers, Alan

On Mar 26, 2004, at 3:44 PM, Willi Egger wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> you might want to study the general manual on ConTeXt pp 136 ...
>
> there is a command \setuphead:
>
> \setuphead[chapter][page=yes]
>
> AFAIK \setuphead[chapter] is set to [page=right] in normal setup.
>

> Willi
>

> Alan Bowen wrote:
>> This is undoubtedly a simple-minded question. So, with apologies, let
>> me say that I wish to produce a chapter in doublesided mode that
>> begins on an even (left hand) page, say page 54. What I currently
>> produce is a blank page 54 (with correct header) followed by the
>> chapter itself starting on page 55 and looking exactly it should /if/
>> page 55 were the first page. In effect, ConTeXt is inserting a blank
>> page so that the first page of the chapter proper is odd. How do I
>> stop it from doing this? (There is no blank page if the first page
>> number is in fact odd.)
>> Any suggestions or even pointers to some manual would be much
>> appreciated.
>> Alan

* pre-fuzzy problem
@ 2004-03-30  1:18     ` Achint Sandhu