* More on Adobe Multiple Master fonts (not quite dead yet:-)
@ 2010-03-21 13:49 Graham Douglas
From: Graham Douglas @ 2010-03-21 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Hans + Taco

I have a question about "Minion Expert" fonts. I do
have a copy of Idris's paper on this very topic but I'm not
sure if this is still the way to install fonts via MKIV/LuaTeX.
I'll give some background on what I'm doing, so my apologies to the
list for the long post.

[Note: happy to write this up in full for the Wiki at some point if of
more general interest]

I have been able to create hundreds of Minion instances and
(with the excption of "Expert") successfully install them in Context ---
works really very well. I have tested the PDF output with 500+ separate
instances embedded, all seem to work perfectly --- provided the mmpfb
settings are right.

The resulting instances/fonts (.afm, .pfb) are output directly into the
Context tree with names like

MinionRegularRoman_wt525_wd600_op20.[afm|pfb]

Generally the names are formed as follows:

Minion[Variety][Angle]_wt[num]_wd[num]_op[num]

Variety = one of Expert,Regular,Smallcaps
Angle = one of Roman,Italic

After refreshing the font lists/file name databases all instances
can all be accessed through commands like this

\definedfont[MinionRegularRoman_wt450_wd600_op10 at 12pt]

--- I intend to write a typescript to set them up
properly but these are early days for me with Context. I'm
hoping that the above font naming convention will allow me to
write a quite flexible set of typescripts... eventually.

The only one that does not work is the Expert font (no surprise I guess)

As mentioned, my scripts output the fonts directly
into the Context tree, for Regular,Smallcaps varieties
that's all I have to do. Wonderful!

So, to the "Expert" variety...

Clearly, this font has a "non standard" encoding vector which
is causing the problm (I guess). The AFM records

EncodingScheme FontSpecific

If I install instances like

MinionExpertRoman_wt350_wd450_op10.afm

then run the minimal example

\starttext
\definedfont[MinionExpertRoman_wt500_wd450_op10 at 12pt]
This is an interesting test. 1234567890. filling, fill. ABCDEF.
\stoptext

When I run this for the firt time I get

!load afm       : reading
c:/Context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/afm/minion/MinionExpertRoman/MinionExpertRoman_wt500_wd450_op10.afm
!load afm       : unifying
c:/Context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/afm/minion/MinionExpertRoman/MinionExpertRoman_wt500_wd450_op10.afm
!afm glyph      : assigning private slot U+F0000 for unknown glyph name
Acutesmall
!afm glyph      : assigning private slot U+F0001 for unknown glyph name
nineoldstyle
<snip>

The resulting PDF is blank, apart from the dot and commas
in the sample text "This is an interesting test. 1234567890. filling,
fill. ABCDEF."

So, finally to my question: what additional work do I need to do
to fully integrate the Expert fonts to access some of the nice features
of these fonts?

Warm wishes

Graham
=======

* Re: More on Adobe Multiple Master fonts (not quite dead yet:-)
@ 2010-03-21 14:06 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-03-21 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2010-03-21 um 14:49 schrieb Graham Douglas:
> So, finally to my question: what additional work do I need to do
> to fully integrate the Expert fonts to access some of the nice
> features
> of these fonts?

My (not comfortable and probably not legal) way would be to use
FontForge to create OpenType fonts from regular plus expert fonts.
Regarding "not comfortable": I should learn to script that... ;-)

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: More on Adobe Multiple Master fonts (not quite dead yet:-)
@ 2010-03-21 14:19 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-03-21 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 21.03.10 14:49, schrieb Graham Douglas:
> Dear Hans + Taco
>
> I have a question about "Minion Expert" fonts. I do
> have a copy of Idris's paper on this very topic but I'm not
> sure if this is still the way to install fonts via MKIV/LuaTeX.
> I'll give some background on what I'm doing, so my apologies to the
> list for the long post.
When you have the fonts in OpenType format you can use the attached
typescripts (it's already included in my typescript bundle).

Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: optical-size.tex --]

[-- Attachment #3: type-optical.tex --]

* Re: More on Adobe Multiple Master fonts (not quite dead yet:-)
@ 2010-03-21 14:26   ` Graham Douglas
From: Graham Douglas @ 2010-03-21 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi, yes I read Idris' comment about that in his paper about
installing Minion Pro. For now I'd like to use this as an opportunity
to learn more about the font machinery in Context/LuaTeX... as part of
my journey towards minimal understanding and writing typescripts for
this collection. Many years ago I paid quite a lot of money for these MM
fonts so it would be great to get them all fully installed with Context.
My idea is that with a very large range of weights, widths and optical
sizes you could create some nice combinations plus be able to switch
widths (say) for some glyphs, perhaps to fine-tune some parts of a
typeset paragtaph.

Warm regards

Graham