* Hanging indent in startstoplines for poems
@ 2010-03-29 15:29 Torsten Suhling
From: Torsten Suhling @ 2010-03-29 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I have a question regarding hanging indentation in
startstoplines-environment.

So I try to use ConTeXt to typeset poems. In some texts/poems
ar long lines, which have to be broken. They should be broken
into hanging indentations.

That means:

Every line of poem should start left.
If a poemline is longer than text width, the rest of this line
    should be indented in a new text line. (just like here)
The width of this indentation should be fixed (e.g. 3em).
The width of this indentation shouldn't depend on a word.
It would be fine, if I don't have to set (poem)linebreaks.

    Additionally, it should still be able to indent a verse
        (e.g. a chorus), for instance using narrower.
    Hyphenation should be switched off inside the poems.

So I found \setuphanging, but these instruction seems made
another job---indenting a paragraph to be placed right beside
the first words of the paragraph.

That's the example, which does not work (all lines are indented)

%<-------------- snip ---------------------------------------

\definestartstop[verse]
  [command={\setupwhitespace[1.2em]}%   % follow the grid
   ,before={\setupindenting[-2em,yes]%  % trial to construct
            \startnarrower[2em]%        %   hanging indent
            \startalignment[flushleft]% % even inter-word-dist.
            \startlines%                %   no justification
            \indenting[first]}%
    ,after={\stoplines%
            \stopalignment%
            \stopnarrower%
            \endgraf}]

\starttext

Three lines, first should be broken:

\startverse
FIRST---this should be one line, please remove linebreaks made by the
mail programms or similiar possibly until HERE.
SECOND---next line without carriage return or line feed,
THIRD---because startstoplines accept linebreaks.
FOURTH---is also one who don't make much words.
\stopverse

\stoptext

%<-------------- snap ---------------------------------------

Any idea how to do that?

Thanks for help

Torsten

* Re: Hanging indent in startstoplines for poems
@ 2010-03-29 15:53 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-03-29 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.03.10 17:29, schrieb Torsten Suhling:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding hanging indentation in
> startstoplines-environment.
>
> So I try to use ConTeXt to typeset poems. In some texts/poems
> ar long lines, which have to be broken. They should be broken
> into hanging indentations.
>
> Any idea how to do that?
\definelines
   [verse]
   [indenting={yes,-2em,first},
    before={\startnarrower[2em]},
    after=\stopnarrower,
%   style={\setupalign[flushleft,nothyphenated]},
    style={\raggedright\nohyphens},
    ]

@Hans, can you change \setupalign to

\unexpanded\def\setupalign
   {\dosingleargument\dosetupalign}

else it can't be used in the style key.

Wolfgang

* Re: Hanging indent in startstoplines for poems
@ 2010-03-29 16:51   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-29 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29-3-2010 17:53, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 29.03.10 17:29, schrieb Torsten Suhling:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question regarding hanging indentation in
>> startstoplines-environment.
>>
>> So I try to use ConTeXt to typeset poems. In some texts/poems
>> ar long lines, which have to be broken. They should be broken
>> into hanging indentations.
>>
>> Any idea how to do that?
> \definelines
> [verse]
> [indenting={yes,-2em,first},
> before={\startnarrower[2em]},
> after=\stopnarrower,
> % style={\setupalign[flushleft,nothyphenated]},
> style={\raggedright\nohyphens},
> ]
>
> @Hans, can you change \setupalign to
>
> \unexpanded\def\setupalign
> {\dosingleargument\dosetupalign}
>
> else it can't be used in the style key.

sure, but i'd expected you to implement a proper align=... then -)

i made a few more in that module unexpanded

i'll upload a beta in a couple of minutes so you were just in time

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-03-29 19:24     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-03-29 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.03.10 18:51, schrieb Hans Hagen:
>> @Hans, can you change \setupalign to
>>
>> \unexpanded\def\setupalign
>>   {\dosingleargument\dosetupalign}
>>
>> else it can't be used in the style key.
> sure, but i'd expected you to implement a proper align=... then -)
no problem but what comes next, spacebefore/after, setups,
interlinespace ...

new keys are a way is it a good idea to add a new one just to use have a
setup function like alignment?

Wolfgang

* Re: Hanging indent in startstoplines for poems
@ 2010-03-30 21:34       ` Torsten Suhling
From: Torsten Suhling @ 2010-03-30 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

thanks for the help, attached snippet seems to work.

So I guess my question basicly was caused by misunderstandings
in using define/setup commands.

Is there a document describing the grammar of context---how to
use or to combine \setupsomething, \definesomething
ttartstosomethig or \setupanything{something=[]}?

 > Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
 >
 > % style={\setupalign[flushleft,nothyphenated]},
 > style={\raggedright\nohyphens},

Sorry for stupid question, but is there a difference
between \nohyphens and \nothyphenated ?

Thanks

Torsten

%<----- snip --------------------------------------------------

\setupoutput[dvi]

\setupwhitespace[1.2em]

\definestartstop[verse]
  [command={%
            \setupwhitespace[1.2em]%
   },style={%
            \raggedright\nohyphens%
  },before={%
            \setuplines[indenting={yes,-2em,first}]%
            \setupnarrower[left=2em]%
            \startnarrower[left]% blockindent only left
            \startlines%
   },after={%
            \stoplines%
            \stopnarrower%
            \setuplines[indenting={no}]% must be reseted
            \endgraf%
  }]

\starttext

Three lines, first should be broken:

\startverse
FIRST---this should be one line, please remove linebreaks, made by the
mail programms, until HERE.
SECOND---next line without carriage return or line feed,
THIRD---startstoplines accept linebreaks, so this is a new line.
FOURTH---fourth line also do not make much words.
\stopverse

\stoptext

%<----- snip --------------------------------------------------

* Re: Hanging indent in startstoplines for poems
@ 2010-03-31 13:06         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-03-31 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 30.03.10 23:34, schrieb Torsten Suhling:
> Hello,
>
> thanks for the help, attached snippet seems to work.
>
> So I guess my question basicly was caused by misunderstandings
> in using define/setup commands.
>
> Is there a document describing the grammar of context---how to
> use or to combine \setupsomething, \definesomething
> ttartstosomethig or \setupanything{something=[]}?
Just combine them in the way you need it in your document.

http://pragma-ade.com/show-man-10.htm
> > Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> >
> > % style={\setupalign[flushleft,nothyphenated]},
> > style={\raggedright\nohyphens},
>
> Sorry for stupid question, but is there a difference
> between \nohyphens and \nothyphenated ?
The second line are the commands which are used when your write
\setupalign[flushleft,nothyphenated] but when I wrote my mail
it wasn't possible to use \setupalign with the style key
(works now but i guess only in mkiv).

Wolfgang