From: Graham Douglas <graham.douglas@readytext.co.uk>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Typographical Engineering in Context
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 17:31:07 +0100	[thread overview]

Idris Hamid wrote:

==============
FYI: I am presently working on a book:

Typographical Ontology and Engineering:
Structured and Automated Authoring in Context

The basic outline is

I. Ontology and Theory
II. Typographical Engineering in Context [including special topics,
advanced techniques of luatex, opentype etc]
III. A Typographical Engineer's Reference [organization of options and
commands, glossary]
IV. Appendix: Authoring in Notepad++ [or some other tool]
V. Indices

<snip>

I look forward to your feedback and suggestions!

Best wishes
Idris
===========================

Hello Idris

A chapter or appendix on the fundamentals of Unicode
A (big...) chapter on typesetting Arabic :-) would be great
--- I've been self-teaching/studying Arabic for a couple
of years, time permitting. I hope one day to use ConTeXt to
write-up my study notes --- especially the formal grammar
which is (need I say) vast!

It would be great to be able to document tools whereby you could
mark-up any Arabic word (noun, adjective verb etc) to show certain
parts in colour or add overbraces/underbraces etc. Colouring the glyphs
or other ways of annotating the Arabic text to help your own documenting
and understanding of the rules. I'm sure you know what I mean!!

Of course, it would be impractical to cover all possibilities
but the core task of accessing the node lists (and (maybe) by
attributes) to introduce special effects onto the Arabic glyphs.
Tools to access the vowelling --- e.g., colour the vowels
or add boxes around them etc --- purely for the purposes
of aiding understanding/memory etc.

Anything that could help students/learners of Arabic to write really
well typeset notes, with the Arabic text "annotated" to highlight things
that you want to really stress.

Especially if it is some tricky point of grammar and you want to really
make sure you write a careful account of your hard-earned understanding
so you don't forget next time!!!

Lots of node-list processing :-)

Warm regards

Graham