From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: Graham Douglas <graham.douglas@readytext.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Hans' presentation: using plain TEX (from TUG 2009) [apologies if OT]
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 20:17:28 +0200	[thread overview]

On 3-4-2010 7:51, Graham Douglas wrote:

> So, is it possible to find and load .afm/.pfb with your luatex-plain
> example. Is that font machinery included in luatex-plain?

the 'generic' code is only providing opentype support and type1/afm goes
via the regular tex specific tfm route and believe me: i don't even want
to know how plain users of latex users deal with type 1 as it's already
messy enough in context; keep in mind that when one uses type 1 one
often operates in the 8 bit environment and therefore in font encoding
land; of course you can convert a type 1 into an open type font using
fontforge

context mkiv can deal with afm/type1 but this is rather context specific
and i'm not going to impose context methods and strategies as i'm pretty
sure that non context users are not that willing to adapt to context
methods

sticking to type 1 is a bad idea anyway and the less it is supported in
the new engines the better as it forces users to move on

the same is true for math ... the loader does load math fonts but math
support is always rather macro package specific so one needs to define
whatever needed (families, symbols etc) the way uses in the specific
macro package (the same applies here .. in a few years all math fonts
will be available in open type)

for instance in the lua-latex code, they use the context otf loader for
open type but it gets encapsulated in latex ways of defining and using
and as type1 handling is already present in latex (and is shared with
xetex code i assume) it is not related to lua etc at all, so there is no
need for additional code

concerning plain: plain has no font system so there's nothing to hook
code in and as soon as one starts to make a system one should wonder if
using plain is a good idea; it does not gain you much using plain
instead of context

concernign context being large ... occasionally i do experiment with
metatex, a more layered approach for making smaller formats but that's a
long term effort

> If so, can you suggest why the luatex-plain example
> might be failing with the .afm/.pfb files?

because you need to load the tfm file (which is probably someplace in
your tex tree)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE