* Mk II, textstyle=cap not working
@ 2010-04-04 16:12 Michael Ewe
From: Michael Ewe @ 2010-04-04 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello ConTeXt gurus,
as a newbie I checked the example from "ConTeXt an excursion"
page 11 ("Hasselt makes headlines"). The manual says:
use "textstyle=cap" to format a chapter's head in capitals.

Short story:	the manual lies ;-) The sample does not work (at least in Mk II)

Longer story:	Sample works, when using ConTeXt Mk IV

Even longer story:	Being curious, I wanted to learn how the page 11 in
the manual actually was typeset. I downloaded all the available sources from
the pragma web-site. and found out: the source code does not even use
"textstyle=cap". Instead it uses "textstyle=bold". Manual and available source
apparently do not match. Nothing to learn here...

Ok, now for my questions:
	1) Is it a Mk IV feature not working in Mk II ?
	2) Is it a bug?
	3) Is there a way, I can tell (1) and (2) apart?

Best Regards,
Michael Ewe, Germany

* Re: Mk II, textstyle=cap not working
@ 2010-04-04 19:56 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-04-04 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.04.10 18:12, schrieb Michael Ewe:
> Hello ConTeXt gurus,
> as a newbie I checked the example from "ConTeXt an excursion"
> page 11 ("Hasselt makes headlines"). The manual says:
> use "textstyle=cap" to format a chapter's head in capitals.
>
> Short story:	the manual lies ;-) The sample does not work (at least in Mk II)
>
> Longer story:	Sample works, when using ConTeXt Mk IV
>
> Even longer story:	Being curious, I wanted to learn how the page 11 in
> the manual actually was typeset. I downloaded all the available sources from
> the pragma web-site. and found out: the source code does not even use
> "textstyle=cap". Instead it uses "textstyle=bold". Manual and available source
> apparently do not match. Nothing to learn here...
>
> Ok, now for my questions:
> 	1) Is it a Mk IV feature not working in Mk II ?
> 	2) Is it a bug?
> 	3) Is there a way, I can tell (1) and (2) apart?

The internals have changed and as a result 'textstyle=cap'
does no longer work but you can get the same result with:

%\setuphead[section][textstyle=\tfb,deeptextcommand=\cap]
\setuphead[section][deeptextcommand=\WORD]
\starttext
\section{Am I capped?}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Mk II, textstyle=cap not working
@ 2010-04-04 20:58   ` Michael Ewe
From: Michael Ewe @ 2010-04-04 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thank you very much, that works well!

But: how can I find out? Its not in the manual, its not in the manual's source.
The wiki page about chapter headers says "textstyle=cap" and mentions
"\textcommand" and "\deeptextcommand"

Feeling kind of lost here !

@ 2010-04-04 21:11     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-04-04 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.04.10 22:58, schrieb Michael Ewe:
> Thank you very much, that works well!
>
> But: how can I find out? Its not in the manual, its not in the manual's source.
> The wiki page about chapter headers says "textstyle=cap" and mentions
> "\textcommand" and "\deeptextcommand"
>
> Feeling kind of lost here !

1. It helps to know the source and where certain keys are performed.

2. Lots of trial and error, play with the different keys and look which
combination and setup works.

Wolfgang

* Re: Mk II, textstyle=cap not working
@ 2010-04-05  7:10       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-04-05  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 23:11, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 04.04.10 22:58, schrieb Michael Ewe:
>>
>> But: how can I find out? Its not in the manual, its not in the manual's
>> source.
>>
>> Feeling kind of lost here !
>>

> 1. It helps to know the source and where certain keys are performed.
>
> 2. Lots of trial and error, play with the different keys and look which
> combination and setup works.

3. Write to the mailing list and let the experts answer you :) :) :)
[which is what you just did]

Mojca

* Re: Mk II, textstyle=cap not working
@ 2010-04-05 20:34     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-05 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4-4-2010 10:58, Michael Ewe wrote:
> Thank you very much, that works well!
>
> But: how can I find out? Its not in the manual, its not in the manual's source.
> The wiki page about chapter headers says "textstyle=cap" and mentions
> "\textcommand" and "\deeptextcommand"

changed related to cap also relate closely to open type features and
thing previously not possible; in general, moving from mkii to mkiv also
involves some changes in thinking

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE