* Framed text in paragraphs too wide
@ 2010-04-05 23:20 Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2010-04-05 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

my problem with framed text persists in paragraphs: The frame extends
over the entire page as soon as the
paragraph has more than one line. Problem exists in mkii and mkiv.
Minimal example below.

Thanks,

Matthias

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setupcolor[rgb]

\definetextbackground	[defbackground]
						[backgroundcolor=lightgray,
						background=color,
						frame=on,
						location=paragraph]

\defineparagraphs		[TwoThird][n=2]
\setupparagraphs		[TwoThird]
						[1]
						[width=.66\textwidth]

\starttext

\startTwoThird
\starttextbackground[defbackground]
The frame is too wide.
The frame is too wide.
The frame is too wide.
\stoptextbackground
%
\nextTwoThird
\placefigure
[here]
[figure:cow]
{Mooh}
{\externalfigure[cow][width=.3\textwidth]}
\stopTwoThird

\stoptext

* Re: Framed text in paragraphs too wide
@ 2010-04-05 23:50 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-04-05 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010, Matthias Weber wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> my problem with framed text persists in paragraphs: The frame extends over
> the entire page as soon as the
> paragraph has more than one line. Problem exists in mkii and mkiv.
> Minimal example below.

I have seen this before when trying to use textbacground to highlight
stuff in tables. I don't know a solution, but if want to highlight whole
paragrah, and do not want the ability to split across pages, you can use
framed texts.

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setupcolor[rgb]

\defineframedtext
   [defbackground]
   [backgroundcolor=lightgray,
    background=color,
    width=broad,
    frame=on,
    location=paragraph]

\defineparagraphs
   [TwoThird][n=2]
\setupparagraphs
   [TwoThird]
   [1]
   [width=.66\textwidth]

\starttext

\startTwoThird
\startdefbackground
The frame is too wide.
The frame is too wide.
The frame is too wide.
\stopdefbackground
%
\nextTwoThird
\placefigure
[here]
[figure:cow]
{Mooh}
{\externalfigure[cow][width=.3\textwidth]}
\stopTwoThird

\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: Framed text in paragraphs too wide
@ 2010-04-06  3:11   ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2010-04-06  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Aditya,

that is what I need. I don't really understand the difference between
framedtext and textbackground, but all my framing and coloring
desires seem to be realizable with framedtext.

Matthias

@ 2010-04-06  7:06     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-06  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6-4-2010 5:11, Matthias Weber wrote:
> Thanks Aditya,
>
> that is what I need. I don't really understand the difference between
> framedtext and textbackground, but all my framing and coloring
> desires seem to be realizable with framedtext.

framedtext is the older mechanism, with some limitations but pure tex

textbackground is more advanced using metapost; it can nest backgrounds,
have inline backgrounds, etc

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE