Am 27.04.10 00:44, schrieb Scott Steele: > Hullo, all. I've been trying for 3 months now to get my last 2 years' > worth of journal entries satisfactorily typeset for printing on > lulu.com . This is my first major project using > Context (with the Xetex engine—the current procedures required by > Pdftex to set up and manage fonts are too intimidating for me (I {\em > did} try it.)) as I'm no longer in school and had typeset the > preceding year's worth of entries in Latex. I started to use (xe)Latex > again this time but gave up in frustration with all of the predefined > formatting, which I've moved away from as I've read more of Robert > Bringhurst. > > Anyway, I have a number of problems. > > I apologize for putting them all into one message and for failing to > find solutions elsewhere on the site. I've looked around a great deal, > but am hampered in doing so by my limiting of my internet time with an > {\sc ems} PowerCop (otherwise, I'd be on Wikipedia until they decided > to lock me away). (I do my writing, editing, and typesetting on a > little internet-crippled netbook with CrunchBang and Vim.) > > I'll include my current preämble information at the end of this > message in case it is useful in addressing any of my issues. If > they're addressed elsewhere, I'd be thrilled with links. If they're > not, I'd greatly appreciate any help. > > I've found solutions to a number of previous problems, but here are > all that I believe are in the way of my finishing this project: > > 1 > How do I make bulleted lists not have lines between items in the list? \startitemize[packed] > > 2 > Is it possible to push the bullets for bulleted lists into the margin > (and then have the text of each item start at the same level of > indentation as normal text)? Also, given my target printing medium, > this would require alteration of the space between the bullet mark and > its text—how do I alter this and the glyph used as the bullet mark? \startitemize[margin] > 3 > Is it possible to alter the way footnotes are displayed? I might want > to have new footnotes follow previous ones with a 3-em space rather > than starting a new line in the footer. And if I go that route, I'd > need a way to pull the footer number in from the margin. > > 4 > How can I adjust the formatting settings for the frontmatter (title > page, table of contents) and backmatter (colophon, appendices, index). > In general, I need to be able to set whether page numbers are used and > what kind and positioning of the text on the page. In particular, how > do I change the formatting for items in the table of contents (and > what glyph/spacing go between the item's title and corresponding page > number as well as how all of those elements are positioned)? Look for \setuplist[...] in the wiki and manuals. > 5 > How can I have either unnumbered sections, or subjects that appear in > the table of contents? \setuphead[subject][incrementnumber=list] > 6 > Does Xetex or Context have a facility for positioning accents over > letters when those particular combinations are not in the font? (Or > should I just go ahead and do this manually in Fontforge?) > > 7 > Is there a built-in equivalent of the \fancybreak function from Latex? > I think I know now how to put something like it together manually but > don't want go the amateur route if there's something more polished > available. What is \fanybreak supposed to do? > 8 > Since this is just a journal, I have used simple emoticons (don't > laugh!). I tweaked a vector smiley from Wikimedia to get a frowny and > slashy, and they work well except for when they end up on the first > (printed) text line of a page. I have one page that has a subject > title on the grid but that is followed by a (logical) line with a > smiley that ends up on its first printed line. This printed line and > all of the rest of the text on the page (including another subject > title) sit several points (approx) lower than where they should (so > that the grid lines bisect the bowls of all the lower-case a's). There > is another page that does not start with a subject title but directly > with a printed line containing an emoticon, and it has exactly the > same problem as the first page, with the text sitting just low enough > that the grid lines bisect the bowls of the lower-case a's. Pages with > emoticons on them do not exhibit this problem when the emoticon is not > on the first printed line, and all lines remain correctly positioned > on the grid. You can see below how I'm putting in the emoticons. You can write '\dontleavehmode\Frowny' or you include \dontleavehmode in the defintion itself \def\Frowny{\dontleavehmode\externalfigure[frowny]} Wolfgang