From: "Rogers, Michael K" <mroge02@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: Figured bass symbols in a text.
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:00:24 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

Since no one has offered a quick ConTeXt solution, I offer my usual -- a dumb Plain TeX solution:

\def\lomihi#1#2#3{${\scriptstyle{#2}}\limits_{#1}^{#3}$}

With the Computer Modern font, the top is a little further away from the middle than the bottom.  It can be adjusted with something like

\def\lomihi#1#2#3{${\scriptstyle{#2}}\limits_{#1}^{\lower0.23pt\hbox{$\scriptstyle{#3}$}}$}

but this would probably have to be adjusted for each font and size.

Hope that helps,

Michael

On Aug 10, 2012, at 5:35 AM, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Is there a neat way to insert a stack of three figures in a line of text with the middle one sitting on the base line?
> I need it in a discussion of figured bass. (Figured bass is a system to indicate harmonies to be played above a bass-line. The figures can be single or stacked, two or three above each other. In discussing this topic in articles and books these "figures" are usually written as they appear in the music scores, in other words, stacked.)
> For a stack of  two figures it can be done perfectly with \lohi{}{}.
>
> Is there a way to do it for a stack of three figures with the middle one sitting on the base line? (Something like \lomihi{}{}{}?)
>
> Here is an example in which the problem is stated once more.
> \starttext
>
> This does not look professional.
>
> A typical problematic example of this printing practice is Monteverdi's  {\em L'Orfeo}, where, in the third act, in Speranze's recitative  {\em Ecco l'atra palude}, several single fourths are printed, leaving for the continuo player the choice to play 5/4, 6/4, or 7/4/2.
> \medskip
>
> This does, for  \lohi{4}{5} and \lohi{4}{6}. But how could this be done also for 7/4/2? (Interline distance may be enlarged as necessary.)
>
> A typical problematic example of this printing practice is Monteverdi's  {\em L'Orfeo}, where, in the third act, in Speranze's recitative  {\em Ecco l'atra palude}, several single fourths are printed, leaving for the continuo player the choice to play \lohi{4}{5}, \lohi{4}{6}, or 7/4/2.
> \stoptext

prohibited.