* PPCHTEX with PSTricks option
@ 2010-05-07  4:53 Helge Kruse
       [not found] ` <201005070912.57406.alan.braslau@cea.fr>
From: Helge Kruse @ 2010-05-07  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

The minimal example shows diagonal lines. Since the line output of
pictex is limited, I would choose PSTricks as output driver for better
quality. When I enable the pstricks option, these diagonal lines collide
with the radical atoms. You can easily reproduce this by removing the %
comment symbol.

How can we improve the postscript output. Any hints are appreciated.

Best regards,
Helge Kruse

\documentclass{minimal}
\usepackage%[pstricks]
             {m-ch-en}
\begin{document}

\setupchemical[scale=small,width=fit,frame=off]
\setupchemical[top=1200,bottom=1200]

\[
\startchemical[right=2500]
\chemical[ONE,SB258,Z05][CH,CH_3]
\chemical[PB:Z2,Z0,SB1,Z1,PE][ O,C_2H_5]
\chemical[PB:Z8,Z0,SB1,Z1,PE][ O,C_2H_5]
\stopchemical
\]

\end{document}

PS: I wrote this to ntg-ppchtes@ntg.nl as sussgested at
http://www.pragma-ade.com/link-1.htm, but that list appears as dead.

* Re: PPCHTEX with PSTricks option
       [not found] ` <201005070912.57406.alan.braslau@cea.fr>
@ 2010-05-07  8:23   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-07  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7-5-2010 9:12, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> ppchtex has been rewritten for conTeXt using luatex
> and line drawing has been considerably improved.
> However, I do not believe that this version will (ever)
> be adapted for use with LaTeX. Perhaps Hans can give
> you a better answer.

indeed the mkiv reimplementation will not be backported to latex as it
involved a combination of tex, lua and mp now and is integrated into the
context kernel (we have math in the kernel so why not chemistry)

> I tried your example, with decent results (see test.pdf)
> with the latest texlive version of pdflatex.
> Yet trying the pstricks driver gives an error:
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> <recently read>  \c@lor@to@ps

looks like a pstricks is not loadec completely

i cannot test it here as pstricks with ppchtex in mkii does not work
that well because i need to support latex and using the context pstricks
layer would then complicat ethe code (in mkii we use metapost instead
anyway)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-05-07 11:04     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-05-07 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday 07 May 2010 10:23:20 Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 7-5-2010 9:12, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> > ppchtex has been rewritten for conTeXt using luatex
> > and line drawing has been considerably improved.
> > However, I do not believe that this version will (ever)
> > be adapted for use with LaTeX. Perhaps Hans can give
> > you a better answer.
>
> indeed the mkiv reimplementation will not be backported to latex as it
> involved a combination of tex, lua and mp now and is integrated into the
> context kernel (we have math in the kernel so why not chemistry)
>
> > I tried your example, with decent results (see test.pdf)
> > with the latest texlive version of pdflatex.
> > Yet trying the pstricks driver gives an error:
> >
> > ! Undefined control sequence.
> > <recently read>  \c@lor@to@ps
>
> looks like a pstricks is not loadec completely
>
> i cannot test it here as pstricks with ppchtex in mkii does not work
> that well because i need to support latex and using the context pstricks
> layer would then complicat ethe code (in mkii we use metapost instead
> anyway)
>
> Hans

Indeed, the problem is that I tried to run the pstricks option
under pdflatex, which, of course, does not work!
As I (almost) never use LaTeX anymore (and certainly never dvips)
I had forgotten about this.

I guess that I have become far too accustomed to ConTeXt and,
in particular, mkiv.

As to the original post, it yields acceptable results. The new ppchtex
in mkiv core is an improvement and, as Hans confirms, will not be backported
to laTeX. This could be one of many good reasons to switch from LaTeX to
ConTeXt!

Alan

* Re: PPCHTEX with PSTricks option
@ 2010-05-07 18:12       ` Helge Kruse
From: Helge Kruse @ 2010-05-07 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 07.05.2010 13:04, schrieb Alan BRASLAU:
> On Friday 07 May 2010 10:23:20 Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 7-5-2010 9:12, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>> indeed the mkiv reimplementation will not be backported to latex as it
>> involved a combination of tex, lua and mp now and is integrated into the
>> context kernel (we have math in the kernel so why not chemistry)

So PPCHTEX is frozen for LaTeX?

> Indeed, the problem is that I tried to run the pstricks option
> under pdflatex, which, of course, does not work!
The pictex output is not convincing, so I hoped the PSTricks output
would gave better result. In general it works, but the diagonal bonds
are too long. I Hoped that this could be fixed.

Skimming the ppchtex.noc I found that metapost is one possible output
"driver". I also found a documentation for metapost. But I don't see how
I can make PPCHTEX work with metapost in LaTeX. I even don't know if
metapost can be used in LaTeX as in ConTeXt.

> As I (almost) never use LaTeX anymore (and certainly never dvips)
> I had forgotten about this.
>
> I guess that I have become far too accustomed to ConTeXt and,
> in particular, mkiv.
>
> As to the original post, it yields acceptable results. The new ppchtex
> in mkiv core is an improvement and, as Hans confirms, will not be backported
> to laTeX. This could be one of many good reasons to switch from LaTeX to
> ConTeXt!
Well I am curious and I would evaluate ConTeXt. I think that
http://www.pragma-ade.com/ will be a good starting point to do that.
Unfortunately I did not found "How to install ConTeXt". Can this be done
by adding some packages in MiKTeX 2.8? Probably a silly question...

Regards,
Helge

* Re: PPCHTEX with PSTricks option
@ 2010-05-07 18:38         ` Marius
From: Marius @ 2010-05-07 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Helge Kruse <Helge.Kruse-nospam@gmx.net> wrote:

> Well I am curious and I would evaluate ConTeXt. I think that
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/ will be a good starting point to do that.
> Unfortunately I did not found "How to install ConTeXt". Can this be done by
> adding some packages in MiKTeX 2.8? Probably a silly question...

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals#Installation_and_use_on_Windows

* Re: PPCHTEX with PSTricks option
@ 2010-05-07 18:52         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-07 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7-5-2010 8:12, Helge Kruse wrote:
> Am 07.05.2010 13:04, schrieb Alan BRASLAU:
>> On Friday 07 May 2010 10:23:20 Hans Hagen wrote:
>>> On 7-5-2010 9:12, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>>> indeed the mkiv reimplementation will not be backported to latex as it
>>> involved a combination of tex, lua and mp now and is integrated into the
>>> context kernel (we have math in the kernel so why not chemistry)
>
> So PPCHTEX is frozen for LaTeX?

apart from bug fixes (and/or if someone submits more drawing definitions)

in fact, as we move on to luatex, the context version for pdftex / xetex
is frozen as well

>> Indeed, the problem is that I tried to run the pstricks option
>> under pdflatex, which, of course, does not work!
> The pictex output is not convincing, so I hoped the PSTricks output
> would gave better result. In general it works, but the diagonal bonds
> are too long. I Hoped that this could be fixed.

if we kno wwhere the problem sits it will of course be solved, however
as i don't run latex i cannot see what goes wrong

> Skimming the ppchtex.noc I found that metapost is one possible output
> "driver". I also found a documentation for metapost. But I don't see how
> I can make PPCHTEX work with metapost in LaTeX. I even don't know if
> metapost can be used in LaTeX as in ConTeXt.

in context mkii metapost support has been integrated for quite some time
and in context mkiv it can be processed without noticing so there
ppchtex uses even more metapost (which is why there are also some extras)

>> As I (almost) never use LaTeX anymore (and certainly never dvips)
>> I had forgotten about this.
>>
>> I guess that I have become far too accustomed to ConTeXt and,
>> in particular, mkiv.
>>
>> As to the original post, it yields acceptable results. The new ppchtex
>> in mkiv core is an improvement and, as Hans confirms, will not be
>> backported
>> to laTeX. This could be one of many good reasons to switch from LaTeX to
>> ConTeXt!
> Well I am curious and I would evaluate ConTeXt. I think that
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/ will be a good starting point to do that.
> Unfortunately I did not found "How to install ConTeXt". Can this be done
> by adding some packages in MiKTeX 2.8? Probably a silly question...

best start with installing the so called minimals (from
contextgarden.net) which will give you an independent tree that does not
interfere with anything else

btw, an easy test is:

\starttext

\startTEXpage

... some chemical ...

\stopTEXpage

\stoptext

which will give you a graphic that you then can include in a latex doc

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-05-08 17:32           ` Helge Kruse
From: Helge Kruse @ 2010-05-08 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 07.05.2010 20:38, schrieb Marius:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals#Installation_and_use_on_Windows

I downloaded context-setup-mswin.zip, unzipped it to
   C:\Program Files(x86)\context
and ran "first-setup.bat --context=current". Now I have a Directory
C:\Program\context. In the command prompt window I can see a lot of
error messages like

   rsync: change_dir
"/cygdrive/c/Program/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua" failed: No such
file or directory (2)

   rsync: change_dir "/current/context/=current" (in minimals) failed:
No such file or directory (2)

I also created a shortcut to a command prompt as described in the wiki.
The command prompt opens but context fails to start:

   C:\Users\Helge\Documents\TeX\context>context
   'context' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
   operable program or batch file.

   C:\Users\Helge\Documents\TeX\context>

I found in the wiki:
   It is recommended that you choose a directory that does not have a
   space in its full path.

Ok. This recommendation should be a least a warning. But currently I
have some new questions:
- How do I uninstall context?
- Which directories have been modified by the installer? Where do I have
to repair my system?

Best regards,
Helge

* Re: PPCHTEX with PSTricks option
@ 2010-05-08 19:50             ` Marius
From: Marius @ 2010-05-08 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Use a directory without a space.
Download the context-setup-mswin.zip file, unzip it into the
c:\context directory
Then run the first-setup.bat file.
After completion, press win+R and run this line from there:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe /k C:\context\tex\setuptex.bat

cd there your context file resides and run "context yourfile.tex"

Installer downloads files to the c:\context dir, so to uninstall
context, just delete the directory c:\context or in your case the
C:\Program Files(x86)\context and C:\Program\context dirs.