* Lost document background
@ 2010-05-24  8:48 Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-05-24  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

under certain circumstances document backgrounds (overlays) are lost.

A minimum real live example is this:

\definelayer[test]

\setupmakeup[standard][doublesided=empty] % background is lost
%\setupmakeup[standard][doublesided=yes]   % background is visible

\startsetups[test]
\setlayer[test][hoffset=4cm,voffset=7cm]{\tfd text}
\stopsetups

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=test,setups=test]

\starttext

\startstandardmakeup
text
\stopstandardmakeup

test

\stoptext

With 'doublesided=yes' the background is visible but with
'doublesided=empty'
no background is shown.

I spend a few hours to find the reason for this and i was able to produce
a shorter example:

\defineoverlay[test][\tfd text]

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=test,state=repeat]

\starttext

text\page\page[blank]\null\page

%\chardef\pageornamentstate\zerocount

text

\stoptext

The problem is that '\page[blank]' sets \pageornamentstate at global
level to '1'.

Wolfgang

* Re: Lost document background
@ 2010-05-24  8:51 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-05-24  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 24.05.10 10:48, schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
> Hi Hans,
>
> under certain circumstances document backgrounds (overlays) are lost.
>

> A minimum real live example is this:
>
> \definelayer[test]
>
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>
> \setupmakeup[standard][doublesided=empty] % background is lost
> %\setupmakeup[standard][doublesided=yes]   % background is visible
>
> \startsetups[test]
> \setlayer[test][hoffset=4cm,voffset=7cm]{\tfd text}
> \stopsetups
>
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=test,setups=test]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startstandardmakeup
> text
> \stopstandardmakeup
>
> test
>
> \stoptext
>
> With 'doublesided=yes' the background is visible but with
> 'doublesided=empty'
> no background is shown.
>

> I spend a few hours to find the reason for this and i was able to produce
> a shorter example:
>
> \defineoverlay[test][\tfd text]
>
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=test,state=repeat]
>
> \starttext
>
> text\page\page[blank]\null\page
>
> %\chardef\pageornamentstate\zerocount
>
> text
>
> \stoptext
>
> The problem is that '\page[blank]' sets \pageornamentstate at global
> level to '1'.

I found a fix in a older ConTeXt version:

\def\dopagebreak[#1]% so, page ornaments are reset after a pagebreak
command, unless set
   {\bgroup
    \flushnotes
    \edef\prevrealpageno{\the\realpageno}%
    \ifcase\pageornamentstate \or
      % disable reset after shipout
      \global\chardef\pageornamentstate\plustwo
    \fi
    \iffirstargument % or if empty i.e. []
      \executepagebreakhandlers{#1}%
    \else % so, no pagebreak when \pagebreak[] ! ! !
      \executepagebreakhandler\v!yes
    \fi
    \ifnum\prevrealpageno<\realpageno
      \global\chardef\pageornamentstate\zerocount
    \fi
    \egroup}

@ 2010-05-24  9:09   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-24  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24-5-2010 10:51, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> I found a fix in a older ConTeXt version:
>
> \def\dopagebreak[#1]% so, page ornaments are reset after a pagebreak
> command, unless set
> {\bgroup
> \flushnotes
> \edef\prevrealpageno{\the\realpageno}%
> \ifcase\pageornamentstate \or
> % disable reset after shipout
> \global\chardef\pageornamentstate\plustwo
> \fi
> \iffirstargument % or if empty i.e. []
> \executepagebreakhandlers{#1}%
> \else % so, no pagebreak when \pagebreak[] ! ! !
> \executepagebreakhandler\v!yes
> \fi
> \ifnum\prevrealpageno<\realpageno
> \global\chardef\pageornamentstate\zerocount
> \fi
> \egroup}

there must be a reason why i added the ifcase; for the moment i
commented it and we'll have to wait till we run into another border case
(much if this code needs a rewrite anyway)

i added your testcase as tests/mkiv/pages/ornaments-001.tex

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE