* LuaTeX error ... object in use
@ 2010-05-29  2:35 Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-05-29  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I keep running into errors that look like this:

! LuaTeX error ...imal/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-ini.lua:345:
pdf.immediateobj() object in use

I can't find anything specific that's causing them.  For example:

input{chapter1}
input{chapter2}

fails, but:

%input{chapter1}
input{chapter2}

and

input{chapter1}
%input{chapter2}

work.

Or, I may make a small change, get the error, reverse the change, and
continue to get the error.   Maybe I need to allocate more memory
somehow?  what's wrong?

* Re: LuaTeX error ... object in use
@ 2010-05-29  5:39 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-05-29  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Saunders wrote:

> Or, I may make a small change, get the error, reverse the change, and
> continue to get the error.   Maybe I need to allocate more memory
> somehow?  what's wrong?

This problem we have seen before, and I think it was a luatex bug then.
Which luatex is this ? 0.60.1 ?

Also, debugging this really needs a complete test input file.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: LuaTeX error ... object in use
@ 2010-05-29  7:53 ` Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-05-29  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> This problem we have seen before, and I think it was a luatex bug then.
> Which luatex is this ? 0.60.1 ?

It was .50, so I updated to .60.  I'm still getting errors with the
same behavior, e.g.:

% block of text
block of text

and

block of text
% block of text

work, but

block of text
block of text

doesn't.  The difference is that now they are reporting differently:

" ! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \@@bklocation
\processaction ...-> \expandaction \!!stringa{#1

              } \ifx \!!stringa \empty \l..."

In addition, everything involving inferiors, superiors, numerators and
denominators is now broken.  For example:

\definefontfeature[in][body][sinf=yes]%inferior
Cs{\setff{in}133}

has no effect.

> Also, debugging this really needs a complete test input file.

I don't know how to make one.

* Re: LuaTeX error ... object in use
@ 2010-05-29 12:56   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-05-29 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Saunders wrote:

> In addition, everything involving inferiors, superiors, numerators and
> denominators is now broken.  For example:
>
> \definefontfeature[in][body][sinf=yes]%inferior
> Cs{\setff{in}133}
>
> has no effect.

This depends on whether the font supports the sinf feature. The
default fonts do not.

>> Also, debugging this really needs a complete test input file.
>
> I don't know how to make one.

Well, if I literally run

\starttext
block of text
block of text
\stoptext

It works just fine, so I need a test file to debug your bug report.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: LuaTeX error ... object in use
@ 2010-05-29 15:58   ` Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-05-29 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> > In addition, everything involving inferiors, superiors, numerators and
> > denominators is now broken.  For example:
> >
> > \definefontfeature[in][body][sinf=yes]%inferior
> > Cs{\setff{in}133}
> >
> > > has no effect.

> This depends on whether the font supports the sinf feature. The
> default fonts do not.

Mine does.  It worked in 0.50.   Maybe the name of the feature "sinf" changed?

> Well, if I literally run
>
> \starttext
> block of text
> block of text
> \stoptext
>
> It works just fine, so I need a test file to debug your bug report.

It appears to depend on having a big enough, complicated enough text,
not a specific combination of commands, so it's hard to come up with
one, but I'll try.  Thanks.

* Re: LuaTeX error ... object in use
@ 2010-05-30  9:54     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-05-30  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Saunders wrote:
>>> In addition, everything involving inferiors, superiors, numerators and
>>> denominators is now broken.  For example:
>>>
>>> \definefontfeature[in][body][sinf=yes]%inferior
>>> Cs{\setff{in}133}

>> This depends on whether the font supports the sinf feature. The
>> default fonts do not.
>
> Mine does.  It worked in 0.50.   Maybe the name of the feature "sinf" changed?

How is the [body] feature defined?

* Re: LuaTeX error ... object in use
@ 2010-05-30 11:24     ` Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-05-30 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>How is the [body] feature defined?

\definefontfeature[body][default][onum=yes,pnum=yes,calt=yes,protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]

\definefontfeature[in][body][sinf=yes]%inferior
\definefontfeature[su][body][sups=yes,ordn=yes]%superior
\definefontfeature[nu][body][numr=yes]%numerator
\definefontfeature[de][body][dnom=yes]%denominator
in{\addff{in}123}
su{\addff{su}123abc}
nu{\addff{nu}123}
de{\addff{de}123}

The numerals all come out as proportional oldstyle, but the letters work.  So,
sinf, sups, numr, and dnom are failing but ordn works.

I was thinking---besides updating to 0.60 yesterday, I was also trying
to test Stix fonts, so I ran:
mtxrun --script fonts --reload
luatools --generate
Maybe a change in mtxrun or luatools broke these features?

About my other problem---the strange one that's hard to isolate, and
which appeared this way in 0.50:

! LuaTeX error ...imal/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-ini.lua:345:
pdf.immediateobj() object in use

and this way in 0.60:

" ! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \@@bklocation
\processaction ...-> \expandaction \!!stringa{#1
             } \ifx \!!stringa \empty \l..."

I'm still having a very hard time isolating a short example---e.g., I
spent the evening discovering this:  near the end of about seven pages
of typeset text, I have the following string in my input file:

"become more obvious as we examine the phenomena"

This works:
become more obvious as %we examine the phenomena
and this fails:
become more obvious as we %examine the phenomena

I know the word "we" isn't the problem.  Maybe it has something to do
with the length of the text, but that doesn't seem quite right either.

* Re: LuaTeX error ... object in use
@ 2010-05-30 11:35       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-30 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30-5-2010 1:24, Michael Saunders wrote:

> " ! Undefined control sequence.
> <argument>  \@@bklocation
> \processaction ...->  \expandaction \!!stringa{#1
>               } \ifx \!!stringa \empty \l..."

in str-flt.mkiv there is a section

\def\@@bknumbering  {\floatsharedparameter\c!numbering  } % global one
\def\@@bkspaceafter {\floatsharedparameter\c!spaceafter } % global one
\def\@@bkspacebefore{\floatsharedparameter\c!spacebefore} % global one
\def\@@bknbottom    {\floatsharedparameter\c!nbottom    } % global one
\def\@@bkntop       {\floatsharedparameter\c!ntop       } % global one
\def\@@bknlines     {\floatsharedparameter\c!nlines     } % global one
\def\@@bkmargin     {\floatsharedparameter\c!margin     } % global one
\def\@@bkcache      {\floatsharedparameter\c!cache      } % global one

can you add:

\def\@@bklocation   {\floatsharedparameter\c!location   }

and then remake the formats

the bk namespace has been replaced (and this section is a temporary
solution in the transition)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-05-30 16:52         ` Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-05-30 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

Thanks, I added the line to the \@@bk block in str-flt.mkiv, but I
don't know how to remake the formats.  I tried:
mtxrun --script fonts --reload
luatools --generate
texexec --make --all
texexec --make --all --pdftex
texexec --make --all --xetex
luatools --generate
luatools --ini --compile --verbose cont-en
none of which had any effect on the output.  How do I remake the formats?

@ 2010-05-30 18:29       ` taco
From: taco @ 2010-05-30 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Saunders wrote:
>> How is the [body] feature defined?
>
> \definefontfeature[body][default][onum=yes,pnum=yes,calt=yes,protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]

Please add script=latn, that works for Palatino Nova, and I think
there possibly was in change in that a while back (some months).

> About my other problem---the strange one that's hard to isolate, and
> which appeared this way in 0.50:
>
> ! LuaTeX error ...imal/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lpdf-ini.lua:345:
> pdf.immediateobj() object in use
>
> and this way in 0.60:
>
> " ! Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> \@@bklocation
> \processaction ...-> \expandaction \!!stringa{#1
>              } \ifx \!!stringa \empty \l..."

Don't be too sure they are related, they could be totally
independent problems.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: LuaTeX error ... object in use
@ 2010-05-30 19:08           ` Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-05-30 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Please add script=latn, that works for Palatino Nova, and I think
> there possibly was in change in that a while back (some months).

Thanks, I have added script=latn to \definefontfeature[body], but
those Open Type features still aren't back to normal.  I should have
mentioned that I had:
\definefontfeature[default][mode=node,language=dflt,script=latn,kern=yes,liga=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes]
\definefontfeature[body][default][onum=yes,pnum=yes,calt=yes,protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]

But I seem to remember when I set this up that argument 1 never
actually inherited from argument 2 when I tested it.

> Don't be too sure they are related, they could be totally
independent problems.

Ahh, of course you are right.  I see that:

>>> " ! Undefined control sequence.
>>> <argument>  \@@bklocation...

must be related to the missing line from str-flt.mkiv.  I have added
it, though, and I _think_ I remade the formats, but I get no change in
behavior.

* Re: LuaTeX error ... object in use
@ 2010-05-30 19:29             ` taco
From: taco @ 2010-05-30 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Saunders wrote:
>> Please add script=latn, that works for Palatino Nova, and I think
>> there possibly was in change in that a while back (some months).
>
> Thanks, I have added script=latn to \definefontfeature[body], but
> those Open Type features still aren't back to normal.  I should have
> mentioned that I had:
> \definefontfeature[default][mode=node,language=dflt,script=latn,kern=yes,liga=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes]
> \definefontfeature[body][default][onum=yes,pnum=yes,calt=yes,protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]

There is no test file, and I still do not know which font you are
using. Attempting to find the problem is closer to tea-gazing
than to debugging at the moment. Font features cannot be debugged
independent of the actual font. All I can say is that your original
example, after addition of 'script=latn', works with Palatino Nova
(which is the only font I have that supports those features)

> must be related to the missing line from str-flt.mkiv.  I have added
> it, though, and I _think_ I remade the formats, but I get no change in
> behavior.

The
   context --make en
should have taken care of that, but you can check: the third or fourth
line in the log file is something like this:

ConTeXt  ver: 2010.05.30 17:08 MKIV  fmt: 2010.5.30  int: english/english

The date after fmt: is the date on which the format was generated.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: LuaTeX error ... object in use
@ 2010-05-30 20:36             ` Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-05-30 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> There is no test file, and I still do not know which font you are
> using. Attempting to find the problem is closer to tea-gazing
> than to debugging at the moment. Font features cannot be debugged
> independent of the actual font.

Thanks, I understand.  I had been using GaramondPremrPro (which has
all four features and worked with 0.50).  You gave me the idea to try
GillSansMTPro, which also has the four features.  I got a very
interesting result---for it, numr and dnom work, but sinf and sups do
not.  I don't know how I could prepare a test file for you short of
sending you my fonts and typescripts (which I'd be willing to do).

* Re: LuaTeX error ... object in use
@ 2010-05-30 21:05               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-30 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30-5-2010 10:36, Michael Saunders wrote:
>> There is no test file, and I still do not know which font you are
>> using. Attempting to find the problem is closer to tea-gazing
>> than to debugging at the moment. Font features cannot be debugged
>> independent of the actual font.
>
> Thanks, I understand.  I had been using GaramondPremrPro (which has
> all four features and worked with 0.50).  You gave me the idea to try
> GillSansMTPro, which also has the four features.  I got a very
> interesting result---for it, numr and dnom work, but sinf and sups do
> not.  I don't know how I could prepare a test file for you short of
> sending you my fonts and typescripts (which I'd be willing to do).

you can try

mtxrun --script font --list --info garamondpremrpr

or

context --trackers=otf.features yourfile

to see what happens with features

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-05-30 21:24                 ` Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-05-30 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

> you can try
>
> mtxrun --script font --list --info garamondpremrpr
> to see what happens with features

Thanks.  This seems to confirm that the features are there:

MTXrun | dnom     cyrl     dflt
MTXrun |          grek     dflt
MTXrun |          latn     aze crt deu dflt fra ita mol rom srb trk
MTXrun | numr     cyrl     dflt
MTXrun |          grek     dflt
MTXrun |          latn     aze crt deu dflt fra ita mol rom srb trk
MTXrun | ordn     cyrl     dflt
MTXrun |          grek     dflt
MTXrun |          latn     aze crt deu dflt fra ita mol rom srb trk
MTXrun | sinf     cyrl     dflt
MTXrun |          grek     dflt
MTXrun |          latn     aze crt deu dflt fra ita mol rom srb trk
MTXrun | sups     cyrl     dflt
MTXrun |          grek     dflt
MTXrun |          latn     aze crt deu dflt fra ita mol rom srb trk

but still,

\definefontfeature[body][default][script=latn,onum=yes,pnum=yes,calt=yes,protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]
\definefontfeature[in][body][sinf=yes]%inferior
\definefontfeature[su][body][sups=yes,ordn=yes]%superior
\definefontfeature[nu][body][numr=yes]%numerator
\definefontfeature[de][body][dnom=yes]%denominator
in {\addff{in}123}
su {\addff{su}123}
nu {\addff{nu}123}
de {\addff{de}123}

produces only proportional oldstyle figures.

* Re: LuaTeX error ... object in use
@ 2010-05-30 21:33                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-30 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Saunders; +Cc: ntg-context

On 30-5-2010 11:24, Michael Saunders wrote:
>> you can try
>>
>> mtxrun --script font --list --info garamondpremrpr
>> to see what happens with features
>
> Thanks.  This seems to confirm that the features are there:
>

> MTXrun | dnom     cyrl     dflt
> MTXrun |          grek     dflt
> MTXrun |          latn     aze crt deu dflt fra ita mol rom srb trk
> MTXrun | numr     cyrl     dflt
> MTXrun |          grek     dflt
> MTXrun |          latn     aze crt deu dflt fra ita mol rom srb trk
> MTXrun | ordn     cyrl     dflt
> MTXrun |          grek     dflt
> MTXrun |          latn     aze crt deu dflt fra ita mol rom srb trk
> MTXrun | sinf     cyrl     dflt
> MTXrun |          grek     dflt
> MTXrun |          latn     aze crt deu dflt fra ita mol rom srb trk
> MTXrun | sups     cyrl     dflt
> MTXrun |          grek     dflt
> MTXrun |          latn     aze crt deu dflt fra ita mol rom srb trk
>
> but still,
>
> \definefontfeature[body][default][script=latn,onum=yes,pnum=yes,calt=yes,protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]
> \definefontfeature[in][body][sinf=yes]%inferior
> \definefontfeature[su][body][sups=yes,ordn=yes]%superior
> \definefontfeature[nu][body][numr=yes]%numerator
> \definefontfeature[de][body][dnom=yes]%denominator
> in {\addff{in}123}
> su {\addff{su}123}
> nu {\addff{nu}123}
> de {\addff{de}123}
>
> produces only proportional oldstyle figures.

add mode=node to the 'body' feature definitions

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-05-30 22:08                     ` Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-05-30 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

> add mode=node to the 'body' feature definitions

I added it.  I get the same results.

* Re: LuaTeX error ... object in use
@ 2010-05-31  6:44                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-31  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Saunders; +Cc: ntg-context

On 31-5-2010 12:08, Michael Saunders wrote:
>> add mode=node to the 'body' feature definitions
>
> I added it.  I get the same results.

you can try

\usemodule[fnt-20]

\setvariables
   [otftracker]
   [font=somefont,
    features=default,
    size=48pt,
    sample=your short text]

and see what is applied

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-05-31 11:32                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-31 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Saunders; +Cc: ntg-context

On 30-5-2010 11:24, Michael Saunders wrote:

> \definefontfeature[body][default][script=latn,onum=yes,pnum=yes,calt=yes,protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]
> \definefontfeature[in][body][sinf=yes]%inferior
> \definefontfeature[su][body][sups=yes,ordn=yes]%superior
> \definefontfeature[nu][body][numr=yes]%numerator
> \definefontfeature[de][body][dnom=yes]%denominator
> in {\addff{in}123}
> su {\addff{su}123}
> nu {\addff{nu}123}
> de {\addff{de}123}
>
> produces only proportional oldstyle figures.

i have a fix for it but first idris has to do some testing with his
fonts as this mechanism was primarily made for very complex setups and i
want to make sure that nothing breaks .. so no beta today, maybe later
this week

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE