* luatools not finding files in TL 2010
@ 2010-05-31 17:05 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-05-31 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

if I run
    mtxrun --script patterns --convert
on TeX Live 2010 it stops working with
    cannot open : No such file or directory

#1 feature request: it would be nice to have a slightly more
informative feedback

The problem appears in the following line:
    function scripts.patterns.prepare()
        dofile(resolvers.find_file("char-def.lua"))
    end
inside mtx-patterns.lua since apparently luatools doesn't find char-def.lua

> luatools char-def.lua
[no response]
> kpsewhich char-def.lua
/Users/mojca/soft/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/char-def.lua
[kpsewhich finds the file]

In ConTeXt minimals this works fine.

#2 bugfix request: any idea why it fails or how to fix it?

Thanks a lot,
    Mojca

* Re: luatools not finding files in TL 2010
@ 2010-05-31 17:08 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-05-31 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 31 May 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Hans,
>
> if I run
>    mtxrun --script patterns --convert
> on TeX Live 2010 it stops working with
>    cannot open : No such file or directory
>
> #1 feature request: it would be nice to have a slightly more
> informative feedback
>
> The problem appears in the following line:
>    function scripts.patterns.prepare()
>        dofile(resolvers.find_file("char-def.lua"))
>    end
> inside mtx-patterns.lua since apparently luatools doesn't find char-def.lua
>
>> luatools char-def.lua
> [no response]
>> kpsewhich char-def.lua
> /Users/mojca/soft/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/char-def.lua
> [kpsewhich finds the file]
>
> In ConTeXt minimals this works fine.
>
> #2 bugfix request: any idea why it fails or how to fix it?

Did you run luatools --generate? What is the value of $TEXMFCACHE? Is it
writable by the user?

Aditya

* Re: luatools not finding files in TL 2010
@ 2010-05-31 17:17   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-05-31 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 19:08, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Did you run luatools --generate? What is the value of $TEXMFCACHE? Is it
> writable by the user?

Yes, I did. The cache is written to ~/.texlive2010/texmf-var/luatex-cache/.

It seems that only *.lua files in base folder aren't found with
luatools (and maybe some others?) The lua files in
scripts/context/lua/ are found without a problem.

@ 2010-05-31 17:19     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-05-31 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 31 May 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 19:08, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>> Did you run luatools --generate? What is the value of $TEXMFCACHE? Is it
>> writable by the user?
>
> Yes, I did. The cache is written to ~/.texlive2010/texmf-var/luatex-cache/.
>
> It seems that only *.lua files in base folder aren't found with
> luatools (and maybe some others?) The lua files in
> scripts/context/lua/ are found without a problem.

Isn't there a variable for that? $LUASCRIPTS or $LUAINPUTS

Aditya

* Re: luatools not finding files in TL 2010
@ 2010-05-31 17:26       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-05-31 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 19:19, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 19:08, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you run luatools --generate? What is the value of $TEXMFCACHE? Is it
>>> writable by the user?
>>
>> Yes, I did. The cache is written to
>> ~/.texlive2010/texmf-var/luatex-cache/.
>>
>> It seems that only *.lua files in base folder aren't found with
>> luatools (and maybe some others?) The lua files in
>> scripts/context/lua/ are found without a problem.
>
> Isn't there a variable for that? $LUASCRIPTS or $LUAINPUTS

LUAINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/scripts/{$progname,$engine,}/{lua,}//;$TEXINPUTS

with TEXINPUTS being an extremely long & complicated list that maybe
luatools fails to interpret in the same way as kpathsea:

[many many lines]
TEXINPUTS.context       = .;$TEXMF/tex/{context,plain,generic,}//
% Earlier entries override later ones, so put this generic one last.
TEXINPUTS               = .;$TEXMF/tex/{$progname,generic,}//

@ 2010-05-31 17:36         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-05-31 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 31 May 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 19:19, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

>>> Yes, I did. The cache is written to
>>> ~/.texlive2010/texmf-var/luatex-cache/.
>>>
>>> It seems that only *.lua files in base folder aren't found with
>>> luatools (and maybe some others?) The lua files in
>>> scripts/context/lua/ are found without a problem.
>>
>> Isn't there a variable for that? $LUASCRIPTS or $LUAINPUTS
>
> LUAINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/scripts/{$progname,$engine,}/{lua,}//;$TEXINPUTS
>
> with TEXINPUTS being an extremely long & complicated list that maybe
> luatools fails to interpret in the same way as kpathsea:

As an experiment, does it work if you explicitly enter
$TEXMF/tex/context// to LUAINPUTS.

Aditya

* Re: luatools not finding files in TL 2010
@ 2010-05-31 18:03           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-05-31 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 19:36, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> As an experiment, does it work if you explicitly enter $TEXMF/tex/context//
> to LUAINPUTS.

No.

But maybe it's just my installation. Can anyone else try to test the
new TL? Taco? Does
    luatools char-def.lua
return anything on your installation?

@ 2010-05-31 18:05             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-05-31 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 20:03, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 19:36, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>> As an experiment, does it work if you explicitly enter $TEXMF/tex/context//
>> to LUAINPUTS.
>
> No.
>
> But maybe it's just my installation. Can anyone else try to test the
> new TL? Taco? Does
>    luatools char-def.lua
> return anything on your installation?

If I ask on the TL mailing list, the sole answer will be "it works
with kpathsea, so the texmf.cnf configuration must be right". One
thing that I don't understand: the ConTeXt format does generate. I
have no idea why only this fails.

@ 2010-05-31 18:12             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-05-31 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 19:36, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> As an experiment, does it work if you explicitly enter $TEXMF/tex/context//
>> to LUAINPUTS.
>
> No.
>
> But maybe it's just my installation. Can anyone else try to test the
> new TL? Taco? Does
>     luatools char-def.lua
> return anything on your installation?

Same problem you have: it doesn't find it.

And here is why: luatools is using TEXMFSCRIPTS as search path because
of the .lua extension and (quite predictably) TEXMFSCRIPTS does not
contain the TEXINPUTS directories in TeX Live (nor should it, I think).

It would be much better if luatools used LUAINPUTS for .lua files, but
it may be too late for fixing luatools. We can probably convince Karl
to add this to web2c/texmf.cnf:

TEXMFSCRIPTS.context=.;$TEXMF/scripts/{$progname,$engine,}//;$TEXINPUTS

with that addition, and after --generate:

[taco@ntg tmp]$ luatools char-def.lua
/home/taco/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/char-def.lua

all is well again.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: luatools not finding files in TL 2010
@ 2010-05-31 19:42 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-31 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-5-2010 7:05, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hans,
>
> if I run
>      mtxrun --script patterns --convert
> on TeX Live 2010 it stops working with
>      cannot open : No such file or directory

hm, i generate them using explicit path (call mentioned at the bottom of
mtx-patterns as i don't want to depend on tex live ... lessons from the
past have taught me to keep an eye on it

not sure where the message comes from .. do they ship the same mtxrun as
context does? (i.e. we use different stubs than the other tex things)

> #1 feature request: it would be nice to have a slightly more
> informative feedback
>
> The problem appears in the following line:
>      function scripts.patterns.prepare()
>          dofile(resolvers.find_file("char-def.lua"))
>      end
> inside mtx-patterns.lua since apparently luatools doesn't find char-def.lua

it does here and in my minimals so what fails in tl? i have

LUAINPUTS = .;$CTXDEVLUPATH;$TEXINPUTS;$TEXMF/scripts/context/lua//

>> luatools char-def.lua
> [no response]
>> kpsewhich char-def.lua
> /Users/mojca/soft/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/char-def.lua
> [kpsewhich finds the file]
>
> In ConTeXt minimals this works fine.
>
> #2 bugfix request: any idea why it fails or how to fix it?

well, i don't have tex live installed as i switched to the minimals ...
so now you want me to go back in time?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-05-31 19:59               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-05-31 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-5-2010 8:12, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> And here is why: luatools is using TEXMFSCRIPTS as search path because
> of the .lua extension and (quite predictably) TEXMFSCRIPTS does not
> contain the TEXINPUTS directories in TeX Live (nor should it, I think).

puzzles me as on my machine it only uses that when no LUAINPUTS is defined

> It would be much better if luatools used LUAINPUTS for .lua files, but
> it may be too late for fixing luatools. We can probably convince Karl
> to add this to web2c/texmf.cnf:
>
> TEXMFSCRIPTS.context=.;$TEXMF/scripts/{$progname,$engine,}//;$TEXINPUTS

sure

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-05-31 20:13                 ` taco
From: taco @ 2010-05-31 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 31-5-2010 8:12, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> And here is why: luatools is using TEXMFSCRIPTS as search path because
>> of the .lua extension and (quite predictably) TEXMFSCRIPTS does not
>> contain the TEXINPUTS directories in TeX Live (nor should it, I think).
>
> puzzles me as on my machine it only uses that when no LUAINPUTS is defined

That is the core of the problem: on linux, the current luatools ignores
LUAINPUTS. More email in private as it gets very technical.

Taco