* \MPpos, pxy, initialize_box(), oh my!
@ 2010-06-04 15:41 Adam Fuller
From: Adam Fuller @ 2010-06-04 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

hello all,
i finished a presentation (my first ConTeXt creation!), and now i've got a couple days to get creative again.

i'm trying to understand how the typeset lines of text in the MetaPost manual were outlined in Section 5.1.  i've just discovered that \MPpos only seems to work in MPpositiongraphics, and initialize_box sets `pxy' to \hpos's contents bounding box.  what if you want pxy to be not strictly a rectangle, but the path that encloses text, etc., which is just part of flowing text in a paragraph, like page 247 (beginning of Positional Graphics chapter) in the MetaPost manual?

i've read the MetaPost manual.  i hope the answer isn't too obvious.

thanks,
adam

[-- Attachment #2: adam_fuller.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Adam Fuller
n:Fuller;Adam
org:University of Canterbury;Mechanical Engineering
adr:Private Bag 4800;;Intersection of Creyke Rd and Engineering Rd;Christchurch;Canterbury;8041;New Zealand
email;internet:adam.fuller@pg.canterbury.ac.nz
title:Ph.D. candidate
tel;work:(+64) 3 364 2987 ext. 8390
tel;fax:(+64) 3 364 2078
tel;home:(+64) 3 366 3455
tel;cell:(+64) 21 0254 8677
url:http://www.mech.canterbury.ac.nz/
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: \MPpos, pxy, initialize_box(), oh my!
@ 2010-06-04 16:17 ` Hongwen Qiu
From: Hongwen Qiu @ 2010-06-04 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

于 2010年06月04日 23:41, Adam Fuller 写道:
> initialize_box sets `pxy' to \hpos's contents bounding box. what if
> you want pxy to be not strictly a rectangle, but the path that
> encloses text, etc., which is just part of flowing text in a paragraph
If I'm not misunderstanding some concepts, bounding boxes are sure to be
rectangles. But why you need `pxy` to not be rectangle. Since you can
get the center and all the four-corner cordinates (and so it's easy to
get the diameter if you want to use it as circles or something like that
latter) of the bounding box, you can construct all kinds of path shapes
if needed.