? 2010?06?05? 10:56, Adam Fuller ??: > my initial post had a mistake: i meant to refer to the /Metafun/ > manual, not the Metapost manual. that probably didn't help. Actually, I know that you mean the /Metafun/ manual. > i guess what i should have said is, i know that pxy can give me the > bounding /box/ (the rectangle with the maximum horizontal and vertical > extents of its contents, be they set in horizontal or vertical mode), > but can it give me the subset of that, the bounding /path/, if you > will, when the contents are text which flows over several lines. the > bounding /path/ may not be rectangular, although it will be something > like the union of the bounding boxes of the text's individual lines. So now, I understand what mean. > i think if you look at the correct reference, the difference of the > effects is clear. i think the challenge is that you don't know where > the line breaks will occur until you typeset it. --adam And the source code from the manual may help you: \setupMPvariables[mpos:box][linecolor=darkred] \setupMPvariables[mpos:par][linecolor=darkred] \startpositionoverlay{backgraphics} \setMPpositiongraphic{A-3}{mpos:box}{self=A-3} \setMPpositiongraphic{A-4}{mpos:box}{self=A-4} \setMPpositiongraphic{b:A-5}{mpos:par}{self=A-5} \setMPpositiongraphic{b:A-6}{mpos:par}{self=A-6} \stoppositionoverlay \fpos {A-5} Because the text must be laid on top of the graphic, the graphic must precede the first word in the typeset stream or it must be positioned on a separate layer. In the latter case it can be calculated directly after the paragraph is typeset, but in the former case a second pass is needed. \tpos {A-5} Given the above code, I think you can get some information about the horizontal and vertical pos of texts from \fpos and \tpos. And the mpos:par is defined in anch-pgr.mkii and anch-pgr.mkiv. But I haven't dig into the code which implement mpos:par. Hope you can find useful information there. And hope the following message I just searched out will help you too: http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20080107.024554.314d9fee.ca.html