From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: Lua in LuaLaTeX is diferent??
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 13:13:24 +0200	[thread overview]

On 5-6-2010 10:19, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
> Hi,
> I did a Lua application for ConTeXt, and now I wanted to adapt it to
> work even LuaLaTeX.
> On what needs to be careful? Compiling by LuaLaTeX specific messages
> appear as if the Lua in LuaLaTeX didnt know some Lua commands (i.e.
> split, find .... ).
>
> On what needs to be careful generaly when programming applications for
> LuaLaTeX?

In context there is quite some lua code that can be used by users for
their applications. The l-*.lua files can considered to be more general
libraries and most ofthat is unlikely to change (extended for sure). At
some point I will make a manual for that. Of course you can always load
such modules using 'require'.

Using other context lua code outside context is more tricky as it also
assumes the system to be designed in a certain way. I hope to have much
if that stable within the next few years. As long as one does not mess
with the namespaces not much harm can be done.

I'm not following lualatex dev but i know that it uses some of the font
code. The reason that this code can be shared is that it's sort of
isolated and specific functionality needed is wrapped up in *-dum.lua
modules. Probbably some stripping down will happen to prevent clashes
etc. Here the reference is luatex-plain.tex (and luatex-fonts.tex) in
the context distribution.

Also, the reverse is also tricky: lualatex speicific code is unlikely to
work in context.

BTW, Sharing macro code between context and latex is non trivial either
as both are different systems and developed completely independent.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE