* Cyrillic in Mark IV
@ 2010-06-06  7:55 Yury G. Kudryashov
From: Yury G. Kudryashov @ 2010-06-06  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi!

How can I typeset Russian in Mark IV? None of the examples from wiki work. I
found "TeXGyre and (no) Cyrillic" thread, but there are no instructions,
just "Cyrillic doesn't work with TeXGyre anymore".

* Re: Cyrillic in Mark IV
@ 2010-06-06  8:12 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-06-06  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.06.10 09:55, schrieb Yury G. Kudryashov:
> Hi!
>
> How can I typeset Russian in Mark IV? None of the examples from wiki work. I
> found "TeXGyre and (no) Cyrillic" thread, but there are no instructions,
> just "Cyrillic doesn't work with TeXGyre anymore".

You need a font with cyrillic glyphs, e.g. when you have microsofts core
fonts
installed this example works:

\setupbodyfont[mscore]
\starttext
Немного русского текста для пробы.
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Cyrillic in Mark IV
@ 2010-06-06  8:39 ` Rogutės Sparnuotos
From: Rogutės Sparnuotos @ 2010-06-06  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Yury G. Kudryashov (2010-06-06 11:55):
> Hi!
>
> How can I typeset Russian in Mark IV? None of the examples from wiki work. I
> found "TeXGyre and (no) Cyrillic" thread, but there are no instructions,
> just "Cyrillic doesn't work with TeXGyre anymore".

Just install some fonts with Cyrillic glyphs to your system and use them.
For example, this is how I (minimally) used CMU Serif [1]:

\definetypeface[cyr][rm][Xserif][CMU Serif]
\definetypeface[cyr][ss][Xsans][CMU Sans Serif]
\definetypeface[cyr][tt][Xmono][CMU Typewriter Text Variable Width]
\setupbodyfont[cyr, 12pt]
\starttext
Калейдоскоп
\stoptext

[1] http://cm-unicode.sourceforge.net/

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos

* Re: Cyrillic in Mark IV
@ 2010-06-06  8:44   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-06-06  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.06.10 10:39, schrieb Rogutės Sparnuotos:
> Yury G. Kudryashov (2010-06-06 11:55):
>> Hi!
>>
>> How can I typeset Russian in Mark IV? None of the examples from wiki work. I
>> found "TeXGyre and (no) Cyrillic" thread, but there are no instructions,
>> just "Cyrillic doesn't work with TeXGyre anymore".
>
> Just install some fonts with Cyrillic glyphs to your system and use them.
> For example, this is how I (minimally) used CMU Serif [1]:
>
> \definetypeface[cyr][rm][Xserif][CMU Serif]
> \definetypeface[cyr][ss][Xsans][CMU Sans Serif]
> \definetypeface[cyr][tt][Xmono][CMU Typewriter Text Variable Width]

For MkIV you need:

\definetypeface[cyr][rm][specserif][CMU Serif]
\definetypeface[cyr][ss][specsans] [CMU Sans Serif]
\definetypeface[cyr][tt][specmono] [CMU Typewriter Text Variable Width]

Wolfgang

* Re: Cyrillic in Mark IV
@ 2010-06-06  8:59     ` Rogutės Sparnuotos
From: Rogutės Sparnuotos @ 2010-06-06  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster (2010-06-06 10:44):
> Am 06.06.10 10:39, schrieb Rogutės Sparnuotos:
> >Yury G. Kudryashov (2010-06-06 11:55):
> >>Hi!
> >>
> >>How can I typeset Russian in Mark IV? None of the examples from wiki work. I
> >>found "TeXGyre and (no) Cyrillic" thread, but there are no instructions,
> >>just "Cyrillic doesn't work with TeXGyre anymore".
> >
> >Just install some fonts with Cyrillic glyphs to your system and use them.
> >For example, this is how I (minimally) used CMU Serif [1]:
> >
> >\definetypeface[cyr][rm][Xserif][CMU Serif]
> >\definetypeface[cyr][ss][Xsans][CMU Sans Serif]
> >\definetypeface[cyr][tt][Xmono][CMU Typewriter Text Variable Width]
>
> For MkIV you need:
>
> \definetypeface[cyr][rm][specserif][CMU Serif]
> \definetypeface[cyr][ss][specsans] [CMU Sans Serif]
> \definetypeface[cyr][tt][specmono] [CMU Typewriter Text Variable Width]

I just copied the code from a MkII-XeTeX doc, hoping it will
work...should've tested before sending...could've just worked.

I had no idea what the 'Xserif' option does, and now one more riddle -
'specserif'. But even with this change, MkIV doesn't print anything:

!define font    : font with name cmuserif-normal-normal is not found
!define font    : unknown font cmuserif-normal-normal, loading aborted
!define font    : unable to define cmuserif-normal-normal as \*cyr12ptrmtf*

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos

* Re: Cyrillic in Mark IV
@ 2010-06-06 12:28       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-06-06 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.06.10 10:59, schrieb Rogutės Sparnuotos:
> I just copied the code from a MkII-XeTeX doc, hoping it will
> work...should've tested before sending...could've just worked.
>
> I had no idea what the 'Xserif' option does, and now one more riddle -
> 'specserif'. But even with this change, MkIV doesn't print anything:
>
> !define font    : font with name cmuserif-normal-normal is not found
> !define font    : unknown font cmuserif-normal-normal, loading aborted
> !define font    : unable to define cmuserif-normal-normal as \*cyr12ptrmtf*

You're right but this is a problem with the regular style of cmu serif,
the font specifies it's own weight as medium but mkiv expects normal.

As you can see here the mechanism works but the results are font dependant.

\definetypeface[cyr][rm][specserif][CMU Serif]
\setupbodyfont[cyr, 12pt]
\starttext
\bf Калейдоскоп
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Cyrillic in Mark IV
@ 2010-06-06 21:34         ` Yury G. Kudryashov
From: Yury G. Kudryashov @ 2010-06-06 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 06.06.10 10:59, schrieb Rogutės Sparnuotos:
>> !define font    : font with name cmuserif-normal-normal is not found
>> !define font    : unknown font cmuserif-normal-normal, loading aborted
>> !define font    : unable to define cmuserif-normal-normal as
>> \*cyr12ptrmtf*
> You're right but this is a problem with the regular style of cmu serif,
> the font specifies it's own weight as medium but mkiv expects normal.
Can I workaround this in MKIV?
> As you can see here the mechanism works but the results are font
> dependant.
>
> \definetypeface[cyr][rm][specserif][CMU Serif]
> \setupbodyfont[cyr, 12pt]
> \starttext
> \bf Калейдоскоп
> \stoptext
Thanks, bold font works.

* Re: Cyrillic in Mark IV
@ 2010-06-06 22:09           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-06-06 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6-6-2010 11:34, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> Am 06.06.10 10:59, schrieb Rogutės Sparnuotos:
>>> !define font    : font with name cmuserif-normal-normal is not found
>>> !define font    : unknown font cmuserif-normal-normal, loading aborted
>>> !define font    : unable to define cmuserif-normal-normal as
>>> \*cyr12ptrmtf*
>> You're right but this is a problem with the regular style of cmu serif,
>> the font specifies it's own weight as medium but mkiv expects normal.

At some point I will add an mechanism for adding font characteristics
for fonts that lack them. (Something Wolfgang and I need to discuss some
time.)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Cyrillic in Mark IV
@ 2010-06-07  6:48   ` Yury G. Kudryashov
From: Yury G. Kudryashov @ 2010-06-07  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 06.06.10 09:55, schrieb Yury G. Kudryashov:
>> Hi!
>>
>> How can I typeset Russian in Mark IV? None of the examples from wiki
>> work. I found "TeXGyre and (no) Cyrillic" thread, but there are no
>> instructions, just "Cyrillic doesn't work with TeXGyre anymore".
>>

> You need a font with cyrillic glyphs, e.g. when you have microsofts core
> fonts
> installed this example works:
>
> \setupbodyfont[mscore]
> \starttext
> Немного русского текста для пробы.
> \stoptext
Thanks, this works but I don't like this font, and it breaks some math
symbols. It would be nice to be able to use, for example, the same font
LaTeX+babel use by default (btw, is it cm-unicode?).