* ssty feature is not activated for math
@ 2010-06-18 15:43 Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-06-18 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Compare the size of the primes with xits, cambria and modern, only the
later is correct.

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

[-- Attachment #2: ssty.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 155 bytes --]

\setupbodyfont[xits]

\def\test{A' A'' A'''}
\starttext

$$\test $$

\switchtobodyfont[cambria]
$$\test $$

\switchtobodyfont[modern]
$$\test $$
\stoptext

* Re: ssty feature is not activated for math
@ 2010-06-18 19:49 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-06-18 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-6-2010 5:43, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> Compare the size of the primes with xits, cambria and modern, only the
> later is correct.

actually it isactivated but we need to add a script and language to

in fnt-ini.mkiv:

\definefontfeature
   [virtualmath]
   [mode=base,liga=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes,language=dflt,script=math]

then

\enabletrackers[otf.baseinit,otf.alternatives]

shows some matches (interesting is that there were actually some xits
matches) which probably depends on dflt,dflt being defined so it might
be that we have to move the script math spec to the typescripts

it might have been present in previous versions (someplace else,
probably in a test file)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-06-18 20:33 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2010-06-18 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 juin 2010, at 17:43, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> Compare the size of the primes with xits, cambria and modern, only the
> later is correct.

Hi Khaled, Hi Hans,

Thank you so much to bith of you and all other people involved in the project for giving us so rapidly the ability to use stix, and xits, fonts.
I tried for a week or so both stix and xits fonts on many of the documents I have in ConTeXt. I can say that as far as simple text is concerned everything works like a charm. However, regarding stix and xits there are some issues with math mode:

• With stix fonts, the integral sign doesn't scale up correctly, and the placement and maybe the sizes of the indices and derivative signs are incorrect.

• With xits fonts, the integral sign is correct but the placement of the indices and exponents are not always correct (see the example below). Also for some reasons the greek letters are not anymore italicized.

I have also a question regarding the use of calligraphic script style, like the font rsfs, which are contained in xits and stix: how can one use them?

With my best regards: OK
%%% file xits-sample.tex

\usetypescript[xits]

\let\|\Vert
\starttext
\startbuffer[math-sample]

Let $\alpha \in {\Bbb R}$. Then $z:={\rm e}^{{\rm i}\alpha} \in {\Bbb C}$ and $|z|=1$. Let ${\ss\bf H}$ be a Hilbert space. In the case where ${\ss\bf H} = H^1_{0}(\Omega)$, the classical Sobolev space on a smooth bounded domain $\Omega \subset {\Bbb R}^n$, we have the Poincaré inequality stating that
\startformula
\lambda_{1}\int_{\Omega}u(x)^2dx =: \lambda_{1}\| u\|^2 \leq \| \nabla u \|^2 := \int_{\Omega}|\nabla u(x)|^2dx.
\stopformula
In particular if $n=1$ and $\Omega = (0,1)$
\startformula
\pi^2\int_{0}^{1} u(x)^2dx \leq \int_{0}^1u'(x)^2dx. \qquad
\zeta(2)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty {1\over n^2 } ={\pi^2\over 6}
\stopformula
On the other hand $\int_{1}^{2} xdx=3/2$, while $\zeta(4)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty  n^{-4} = \pi^4/ 90$.

A function $f$ is said to have a derivative at $x_{0}\in {\Bbb R}$, if the limite
\startformula
\lim_{h \to 0}{f(x_{0}+h) - f(x_{0})\over h}
\stopformula
exists. In this case the above limit is denoted $f'(x_{0})$. One can easily see that $(uf)'=u'f+uf'$ (and not $u'f'$\dots).
\startformula
\Delta u := \sum_{j=1}^n {\partial^2 u\over \partial x_{j}^2 } = \sum_{j=1}^n \partial_{jj}u.
\stopformula
\stopbuffer

This is a sample of maths with Latin Modern:
\getbuffer[math-sample]

\start
\switchtobodyfont[xits]
This is a sample of Xits fonts\dots{} Version 1.002. Note that the integral sign and the numbers 1 and 2 are not correctly placed in $\int_{1}^2$, and $\Omega$ in $\int_{\Omega}$ is a little bit far from the integral sign $\int$. Also the derivative sign in $f'$ is slightly misplaced (actually too high), but this may be accepted as it is.

\getbuffer[math-sample]
\stop

\stoptext
%%%% end file xits-sample.tex

* Re: ssty feature is not activated for math
@ 2010-06-18 21:15   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-06-18 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:33:56PM +0200, Otared Kavian wrote:
> On 18 juin 2010, at 17:43, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
> > Compare the size of the primes with xits, cambria and modern, only the
> > later is correct.
>
> Hi Khaled, Hi Hans,
>
> Thank you so much to bith of you and all other people involved in the project for giving us so rapidly the ability to use stix, and xits, fonts.
> I tried for a week or so both stix and xits fonts on many of the documents I have in ConTeXt. I can say that as far as simple text is concerned everything works like a charm. However, regarding stix and xits there are some issues with math mode:
>
> • With stix fonts, the integral sign doesn't scale up correctly, and the placement and maybe the sizes of the indices and derivative signs are incorrect.

If they did, then there wouldn't be any reason for xits to exits :)

> • With xits fonts, the integral sign is correct but the placement of the indices and exponents are not always correct (see the example below). Also for some reasons the greek letters are not anymore italicized.

I run your test and the lower case Greek is italic. The *script
placement on the text integral is wrong, looks like the italic
correction is either ignored or applied incorrectly.

> I have also a question regarding the use of calligraphic script style, like the font rsfs, which are contained in xits and stix: how can one use them?

\cal ?

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: ssty feature is not activated for math
@ 2010-06-18 22:19   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-06-18 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-6-2010 10:33, Otared Kavian wrote:

> • With stix fonts, the integral sign doesn't scale up correctly, and the placement and maybe the sizes of the indices and derivative signs are incorrect.

a remark:

keep in mind that we are still in the process of figuring our some
details of open type math ... because the traditional tex engine is
closely related to the cm/lm fonts (special meanings of kerns, italic
corrections, depths and heights)

so far we used cambria as the benchmark and xits will be the test case;
lm (and other math) is somewhat special as mkiv uses virtual fonts for that

also keep in mind that the tex engine should work well with both the
traditional fonts and the new ones

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-06-19  5:29     ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2010-06-19  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Khaled,

Thanks for your attention to my remarks.

On 18 juin 2010, at 23:15, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:33:56PM +0200, Otared Kavian wrote:
>> • With stix fonts, the integral sign doesn't scale up correctly, and the placement and maybe the sizes of the indices and derivative signs are incorrect.
>
> If they did, then there wouldn't be any reason for xits to exits :)

Indeed… and you would have had less troubles :-)

> I run your test and the lower case Greek is italic. The *script
> placement on the text integral is wrong, looks like the italic
> correction is either ignored or applied incorrectly.

Yes you are right, the lower case greek is italic in math mode, but I didn't pay attention to that. My point was rather on capital letters $\Omega$, $\Delta$, $\Pi$, \Sigma$, etc. Maybe the latter is the one which attracts more attention when not italicized, because of the possible confusion with $\Sum$.

>> I have also a question regarding the use of calligraphic script style, like the font rsfs, which are contained in xits and stix: how can one use them?
>
> \cal ?

Oh, you are right… So xits fonts are really a wonderful set of fonts!

Thanks and best regards: OK

* Re: ssty feature is not activated for math
@ 2010-06-19 13:01       ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-06-19 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 07:29:43AM +0200, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Khaled,
>
> Thanks for your attention to my remarks.
>
> On 18 juin 2010, at 23:15, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:33:56PM +0200, Otared Kavian wrote:
> >> • With stix fonts, the integral sign doesn't scale up correctly, and the placement and maybe the sizes of the indices and derivative signs are incorrect.
> >
> > If they did, then there wouldn't be any reason for xits to exits :)
>
> Indeed… and you would have had less troubles :-)
>
> > I run your test and the lower case Greek is italic. The *script
> > placement on the text integral is wrong, looks like the italic
> > correction is either ignored or applied incorrectly.
>
> Yes you are right, the lower case greek is italic in math mode, but I didn't pay attention to that. My point was rather on capital letters $\Omega$, $\Delta$, $\Pi$, \Sigma$, etc. Maybe the latter is the one which attracts more attention when not italicized, because of the possible confusion with $\Sum$.

IIRC, this has always been the case with TeX; upper case Greek is
upright, the rest is italic. This is the default behaviour but you can
change it:

\setupmathematics  [lcgreek=normal,ucgreek=normal]

> >> I have also a question regarding the use of calligraphic script style, like the font rsfs, which are contained in xits and stix: how can one use them?
> >
> > \cal ?
> >

> Oh, you are right… So xits fonts are really a wonderful set of fonts!

There is also an alternative upper case calligraphic alphabet, available
as ss01 feature, though I don't know how to activate it.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny