* Wrong typesetting of "pages" in AMS-style publication list
       [not found] <mailman.1.1277200802.13914.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2010-06-22 16:57 ` "Stefan Müller"
From: "Stefan Müller" @ 2010-06-22 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I've encountered an issue with the AMS-style publication list (Mark IV). When the  bibliography items in my document are typeset in the publication list, the attribute "pages" (from the .bib file; a range of pages is specified, e.g. "pages = {12--34}") is sometimes preceded by "p." (e.g. for "@incollection"), sometimes by "pp." (which I would think of being correct) and sometimes there is nothing (e.g. for "@article"): no "pp."/"p." and not even a point afterwards ending the bib item. Is this behaviour intended?

I took a look inside the file "bibl-ams.tex" where (afaik) the setup is defined. The calls of \insertpages there differ a lot:

  \insertpages{, p. }{. }{. } %from book, l.203
  \insertpages{\unskip, p.~}{. }{\unskip. } %from incollection, l.306
  \insertpages{\unskip, }{}{} %from article, l.165
  \insertpages{\unskip, \fixpp.~}{. }{\unskip. } %from inproceedings, l.344

It seems to me that the last one actually is what every call should look like. But maybe I'm getting this wrong.

Any suggestions and/or explanations appreciated.

Best regards,
Stefan.
--

_______
ey, leute, ich hab so lange gebraucht um mir plan a auszudenken, fragt jetzt doch nicht auch

* Re: Wrong typesetting of "pages" in AMS-style publication list
@ 2010-06-22 17:06   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-06-22 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Müller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've encountered an issue with the AMS-style publication list (Mark
> IV). When the  bibliography items in my document are typeset in the
> publication list, the attribute "pages" (from the .bib file; a range
> of pages is specified, e.g. "pages = {12--34}") is sometimes preceded
> by "p." (e.g. for "@incollection"), sometimes by "pp." (which I would
> think of being correct) and sometimes there is nothing (e.g. for
> "@article"): no "pp."/"p." and not even a point afterwards ending the
> bib item. Is this behaviour intended?

Well, when bibl-ams.tex was written, there was no good specification
so I just implemented something based on some fuzzy examples. If you
(or anyone else for that matter) know how it should look, just send
a patch and it will be fixed.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Wrong typesetting of "pages" in AMS-style, publication list
       [not found] <mailman.1964.1277235691.4277.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2010-06-22 20:03 ` Warrence
From: Warrence @ 2010-06-22 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Stefan M?ller wrote:
>> >  Hi,
>> >
>> >  I've encountered an issue with the AMS-style publication list (Mark
>> >  IV). When the  bibliography items in my document are typeset in the
>> >  publication list, the attribute "pages" (from the .bib file; a range
>> >  of pages is specified, e.g. "pages = {12--34}") is sometimes preceded
>> >  by "p." (e.g. for "@incollection"), sometimes by "pp." (which I would
>> >  think of being correct) and sometimes there is nothing (e.g. for
>> >  "@article"): no "pp."/"p." and not even a point afterwards ending the
>> >  bib item. Is this behaviour intended?
> Well, when bibl-ams.tex was written, there was no good specification
> so I just implemented something based on some fuzzy examples. If you
> (or anyone else for that matter) know how it should look, just send
> a patch and it will be fixed.
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

Okay, I had this problem, too. If I find a reliable and comprehensive
source for how the AMS-style should look like, I'll try to implement it.
But currently I am not able to make too much sense out of what I find in
bibl-ams.tex. Maybe the reason for this is that I'm not much into
(plain) tex. But anyhow, when I stumble over a specification I'll send
it to the list.

Thank you,
Stefan.