* TeX Gyre Heros Condensed missing in typescript / letterspacing
@ 2010-06-23 14:08 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-06-23 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi ho,

I just noticed that Heros CN is missing in type-otf.mkiv. Would you
add it please?
The fonts are in the minimal distribution.

Using it, I find it unnecessary tight - how can I space it a bit? (using MkIV)
I found \stretchednormalcase, but I'd like to enable it per-font.

Greetlings, Hraban

* Re: TeX Gyre Heros Condensed missing in typescript / letterspacing
@ 2010-06-23 14:57 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-06-23 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.06.2010 um 16:08 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>:

> Hi ho,
>
> I just noticed that Heros CN is missing in type-otf.mkiv. Would you
> add it please?
> The fonts are in the minimal distribution.
>
> Using it, I find it unnecessary tight - how can I space it a bit? (using MkIV)
> I found \stretchednormalcase, but I'd like to enable it per-font.

This is currently not possible but you can try this:

\definecharacterkerning[extraspace][factor=.05]

\setcharacterkerning[extraspace]

\starttext
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: TeX Gyre Heros Condensed missing in typescript / letterspacing
@ 2010-06-23 16:18   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-06-23 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/6/23 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
>> Using it, I find it unnecessary tight - how can I space it a bit? (using MkIV)
>> I found \stretchednormalcase, but I'd like to enable it per-font.
>
> This is currently not possible but you can try this:
> \definecharacterkerning[extraspace][factor=.05]
> \setcharacterkerning[extraspace]

Thank you, that's good enough for me.

Greetlings, Hraban

* Re: TeX Gyre Heros Condensed missing in typescript / letterspacing
@ 2010-06-23 17:44   ` Otared Kavian
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Otared Kavian @ 2010-06-23 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang, Hraban,

Just testing the feature suggested by Wolfgang, I ran into a « fatal error » on one test file, which I could nail down to this minimal example:

\definecharacterkerning[extraspace][factor=.05]
\setcharacterkerning[extraspace]
\starttext
affine, fil,
affligeant % <-- afflig in this word causes problem
\stoptext

Somehow mkiv doesn't like the word «affligeant »… which, by the way, means distressing :-)

Best regards: OK

On 23 juin 2010, at 16:57, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 23.06.2010 um 16:08 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>:
>
>> Hi ho,
>>
>> I just noticed that Heros CN is missing in type-otf.mkiv. Would you
>> add it please?
>> The fonts are in the minimal distribution.
>>
>> Using it, I find it unnecessary tight - how can I space it a bit? (using MkIV)
>> I found \stretchednormalcase, but I'd like to enable it per-font.
>

> This is currently not possible but you can try this:
>
> \definecharacterkerning[extraspace][factor=.05]
>
> \setcharacterkerning[extraspace]
>
> \starttext
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Otared Kavian
Département de Mathématiques
Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin
Bâtiment Fermat
45 aveue des Etats Unis
78035 Versailles cedex

Téléphone: +33 1 39 25 46 42
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 44
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 46

e-mail: Otared.Kavian@math.uvsq.fr

* Re: TeX Gyre Heros Condensed missing in typescript / letterspacing
@ 2010-06-23 17:55     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-06-23 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.06.2010 um 19:44 schrieb Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com>:

> Hi Wolfgang, Hraban,
>
> Just testing the feature suggested by Wolfgang, I ran into a « fatal error » on one test file, which I could nail down to this minimal example:
>
> \definecharacterkerning[extraspace][factor=.05]
> \setcharacterkerning[extraspace]
> \starttext
> affine, fil,
> affligeant % <-- afflig in this word causes problem
> \stoptext
>
> Somehow mkiv doesn't like the word «affligeant »… which, by the way, means distressing :-)

Is it the the word affligeant or just the ffl ligature which causes the error message (can't check it at the moment) but extrakerning is just a workaround in this case and problems are likely to be expected.

Wolfgang

* Re: TeX Gyre Heros Condensed missing in typescript / letterspacing
@ 2010-06-23 18:12       ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2010-06-23 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 juin 2010, at 19:55, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> […]
> Is it the the word affligeant or just the ffl ligature which causes the error message

the combination affli creates the fatal error, while ffli does not.

> (can't check it at the moment) but extrakerning is just a workaround in this case and problems are likely to be expected.

Don't worry, I wanted just to report a problem I observed: I don't think I am going to use this fancy feature very soon.

Best regards: OK

* Re: TeX Gyre Heros Condensed missing in typescript / letterspacing
@ 2010-06-23 18:51         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-06-23 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23-6-2010 8:12, Otared Kavian wrote:

> On 23 juin 2010, at 19:55, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> […]
>> Is it the the word affligeant or just the ffl ligature which causes the error message
>
> the combination affli creates the fatal error, while ffli does not.
>
>> (can't check it at the moment) but extrakerning is just a workaround in this case and problems are likely to be expected.
>>

> Don't worry, I wanted just to report a problem I observed: I don't think I am going to use this fancy feature very soon.

that one's for taco

For node p:=0, 4==0 (l.1342,r.1)
! This can't happen (dotest).

(we will look into it off-list, once i know where it comes from)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-06-23 19:39     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-06-23 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23-6-2010 7:44, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang, Hraban,
>
> Just testing the feature suggested by Wolfgang, I ran into a « fatal error » on one test file, which I could nail down to this minimal example:
>
> \definecharacterkerning[extraspace][factor=.05]
> \setcharacterkerning[extraspace]
> \starttext
> affine, fil,
> affligeant %<-- afflig in this word causes problem
> \stoptext
>
> Somehow mkiv doesn't like the word «affligeant »… which, by the way, means distressing :-)

if you use character kerning, you should disable liga

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-06-24  1:05     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-06-24  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23-6-2010 7:44, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang, Hraban,
>
> Just testing the feature suggested by Wolfgang, I ran into a « fatal error » on one test file, which I could nail down to this minimal example:
>
> \definecharacterkerning[extraspace][factor=.05]
> \setcharacterkerning[extraspace]
> \starttext
> affine, fil,
> affligeant %<-- afflig in this word causes problem
> \stoptext

I got rid of the error at the cost of leaking glyph nodes.

The ffl is somewhat special as it is actually chained into two
ligatures:

f f l -> ff l -> ffl

Keep in mind that characterkerning is normally not something that you
will apply to a whole document (make it quite large too) and I have no
clue about side effects.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE