* Re: minimal example of some problems
@ 2010-04-08 13:00 Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-04-08 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>>> These two are related to font. Either show that something is wrong with
>>> default typescripts (lmodern, times, palatino, etc) else it means that
>>> tosmething is wrong with your typescript. But first you have to narrow
>>> down the problem
>>
>> I take your word for it that it works for the default typescripts;
>> therefore, the problem must be somewhere in my typescript, but I have
>> no idea where.  It is as follows:
>
>I don't have the font, so I cannot test it.

I should not have been so fast to take your word for it.  If I use the
default LM fonts, I get the same problems---no leftward protrusion and
no hz in the footnotes.

>You can prevent notes from splitting across pages by
>
>\setupenumerations[footnote]
>                   [before=\vbox\bgroup, after=\egroup]
>
>The footnote may still appear on a different page. If you want to prevent
>that add
>
>\setupfootnotes[split=verystrict]

This doesn't work.  I'm still getting footnotes appearing on the wrong page.

>>> 4. Notice the overprinting near the top of p.2 c.1. That is a
>>> marginal note that should go into the right margin.
>>
>> \starttext
>> \startcolumns
>>
>> \input knuth
>> \input tufte
>> \column
>> \input tufte
>> \inmargin{This is in wrong margin}
>> \input knuth
>> \stopcolumns
>> \stoptext
>>
>> The marin note in 2nd column is displayed in the 1st column. This is
>> artifact of the way in which TeX constructs columns: first creating a
>> long and narrow page and then splitting it into two. I don't know at
>> what stage of the OTR are margin notes inserted, and if there is a
>> workaround. Maybe others can help.
>
>this is the first time someone needs it so indeed there is no mechamism
>
>it's not that complex to deal with it (but i'd only do it in mkiv) gien
>time and motivation ... you can put a feature request in the tracker so
>that i can look at it when i'm reworking marging notes the mkiv way
>(first come floats)

Where is the tracker I should put this in?

I have found another problem which is probably related.  In the same
sort of arrangement, two columns with margins on either side, I would
like to place floats like this:
1. If they appear on the left side, they should end at the right edge
of the left column.
2. If they appear on the right side, they should begin at the left
edge of the right column.
Using \placetable[inmargin] (my best guess), this works fine for case
(2), but case (1) begins at the left edge of the left column and can
overprint the right column.

* libertine otf file not recognised
@ 2010-04-08 16:45 ` Salil Sayed
From: Salil Sayed @ 2010-04-08 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have the following problem with mkVI. (updated today)

systems         : begin file env_manuscript at line 4
(../env_manuscript.tex (/media/documents/test/type-libertine.tex)
!define font    : forced type otf of /home/me/.fonts/LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1 not found
!define font    : font with name /home/me/.fonts/LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1 is not found
!define font    : unknown font /home/me/.fonts/LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1, loading aborted
!define font    : unable to define linuxlibertineo as \*Libertine11ptrmtf*
)
systems         : end file env_manuscript at line 4
)

the relevant line in my typescript is thus:

\definefontsynonym [LibertineRegular]   [name:linuxlibertineo]   [features=default]

All other otf fonts in the same directory work. The libertine fonts (from the same files) work with other applications such as gedit, inkscape etc. (obviously not with openoffice)

What can be the problem?

best,
Salil

* Re: libertine otf file not recognised
@ 2010-04-08 18:23   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-04-08 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Salil Sayed wrote:
> I have the following problem with mkVI. (updated today)

> systems         : begin file env_manuscript at line 4
> (../env_manuscript.tex (/media/documents/test/type-libertine.tex)
> !define font    : forced type otf of
> /home/me/.fonts/LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1 not found !define font    :
> font with name /home/me/.fonts/LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1 is not found
> !define font    : unknown font /home/me/.fonts/LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1,
> \*Libertine11ptrmtf* ) systems         : end file env_manuscript at
> line 4 )
>
> the relevant line in my typescript is thus:
>
> \definefontsynonym [LibertineRegular]   [name:linuxlibertineo]
> [features=default]
>
> All other otf fonts in the same directory work. The libertine fonts
> (from the same files) work with other applications such as gedit,
> inkscape etc. (obviously not with openoffice)
>
> What can be the problem?

Perhaps the version number in the file name (which contains dots).
IIRC, this or a similar issue popped up a few months ago. Perhaps
I even replied then.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: libertine otf file not recognised
@ 2010-04-08 20:58     ` Wolfgang Schuster
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-04-08 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.04.10 20:23, schrieb Taco Hoekwater:
>> All other otf fonts in the same directory work. The libertine fonts
>> (from the same files) work with other applications such as gedit,
>> inkscape etc. (obviously not with openoffice)
>>
>> What can be the problem?
> Perhaps the version number in the file name (which contains dots).
> IIRC, this or a similar issue popped up a few months ago. Perhaps
> I even replied then.
http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=278

I haven't checked this since i wrote the bug report because i use now
the libertine fonts from ctan what i suggest for Salil too, the libertine
fonts from sourceforge are more than a year old and the ctan version
was updated recently and has also more styles for biolinum.

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/libertine/

Wolfgang

* Re: libertine otf file not recognised
@ 2010-04-09  7:18       ` Salil Sayed
From: Salil Sayed @ 2010-04-09  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Amazing! the fonts from CTAN work perfect. And they are also so much more. I wonder why the main site of libertine is so out of date.

Thanks a lot. That takes my move from mkII to mkVI one step further. I have another issue for which I will start a new thread.

Best regards,

Salil

________________________________
Am 08.04.10 20:23, schrieb Taco Hoekwater:
>> All other otf fonts in the same directory work. The libertine fonts
>> (from the same files) work with other applications such as gedit,
>> inkscape etc. (obviously not with openoffice)
>>
>> What can be the problem?
> Perhaps the version number in the file name (which contains dots).
> IIRC, this or a similar issue popped up a few months ago. Perhaps
> I even replied then.
http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=278

I haven't checked this since i wrote the bug report because i use now
the libertine fonts from ctan what i suggest for Salil too, the libertine
fonts from sourceforge are more than a year old and the ctan version
was updated recently and has also more styles for biolinum.

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/libertine/

Wolfgang

* streams! atleast the left||right synchronization mechanism
@ 2010-04-09  7:45       ` Salil Sayed
From: Salil Sayed @ 2010-04-09  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

As I am moving from mkII to mkIV with my thesis manuscript, I need to make the 'left||right synchronization mechanism' to work. I worked beautifully in mkII. I looked in the source of the module but could not make out where the issue is. I errors I get today begin like this.

(/home/me/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/m-streams.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
l.19 \defineoutputstream
                         [\v!left]
?
! Undefined control sequence.
l.20 \defineoutputstream
                         [\v!right]
?
! Undefined control sequence.
l.22 \definemarknote
                    [\v!left]
?
! Undefined control sequence.
l.23 \definemarknote
                    [\v!right]
?
)
system          : module streams loaded

what is this (  \v!  ) thing? where can I get the clues? Does it come from Tex or LuaTex programming?

Thanks,

Salil

* Re: streams! atleast the left||right synchronization mechanism
@ 2010-04-09  7:53         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-04-09  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 09.04.10 09:45, schrieb Salil Sayed:
> Hi,
>
> As I am moving from mkII to mkIV with my thesis manuscript, I need to
> make the 'left||right synchronization mechanism' to work. I worked
> beautifully in mkII. I looked in the source of the module but could
> not make out where the issue is. I errors I get today begin like this.
Remove the \endinput at the begin of the file (line 28) in page-str.mkiv
and remake the format.
> what is this (  \v!  ) thing? where can I get the clues? Does it come
> from Tex or LuaTex programming?
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/System_Macros/Scratch_Variables

Wolfgang

* Re: streams! atleast the left||right synchronization mechanism
@ 2010-04-09  8:18           ` Salil Sayed
From: Salil Sayed @ 2010-04-09  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Wolfgang, this works. I knew this from a previous discussion but I was trying the line in m-streams.tex

regards,

Salil

________________________________

@ 2010-07-04  9:54       ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-07-04  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 22:58, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I haven't checked this since i wrote the bug report because i use now
> the libertine fonts from ctan what i suggest for Salil too, the libertine
> fonts from sourceforge are more than a year old and the ctan version
> was updated recently and has also more styles for biolinum.
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/libertine/
>
> Wolfgang

Could you show me how to install this font for ConTeXt please ?
I use mimimal ConTeXt (Windows XP).

Thanks,

* Re: libertine otf file not recognised
@ 2010-07-04 11:10         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-07-04 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.07.10 11:54, schrieb Vnpenguin:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 22:58, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I haven't checked this since i wrote the bug report because i use now
>> the libertine fonts from ctan what i suggest for Salil too, the libertine
>> fonts from sourceforge are more than a year old and the ctan version
>> was updated recently and has also more styles for biolinum.
>>
>> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/libertine/
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>
> Could you show me how to install this font for ConTeXt please ?
> I use mimimal ConTeXt (Windows XP).

Put the fonts in the systems font directory (C:\Windows\Fonts),
this is everything you need for mkiv, to use load them with

\setupbodyfont[libertine]

@Mojca: Can the Libertine fonts be included in the minimals?

@Hans: Can you add the bold and italic styles to biolinum?

Wolfgang

* Re: libertine otf file not recognised
@ 2010-07-04 11:27           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-07-04 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> @Mojca: Can the Libertine fonts be included in the minimals?
>
> @Hans: Can you add the bold and italic styles to biolinum?
In the latest *zip from site
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxlibertine/
otf file names can be problematic
due multiples '.' :
Biolinum_Bd-0.4.1.otf
Biolinum_Re-0.4.1.otf
LinLibertine_Bd-4.1.0.otf
LinLibertine_BI-4.0.5.otf
LinLibertineC_Re-4.0.3.otf
LinLibertine_It-4.0.6.otf
LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1.otf

Also they are not the same names as from
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/libertine/

--
luigi

* Re: libertine otf file not recognised
@ 2010-07-04 16:57           ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-07-04 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 13:10, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Could you show me how to install this font for ConTeXt please ?
>> I use mimimal ConTeXt (Windows XP).
>>

> Put the fonts in the systems font directory (C:\Windows\Fonts),
> this is everything you need for mkiv, to use load them with
>
> \setupbodyfont[libertine]

That does not work for me.
In C:\Windows\Fonts I have (downloaded from SF site):

15/06/2010  23:41           343 708 LinLibertine_Bd-4.1.5.otf
15/06/2010  23:47           803 864 LinLibertine_Bd-4.1.5.ttf
15/06/2010  23:41           375 796 LinLibertine_BI-4.1.0.otf
15/06/2010  23:48           869 088 LinLibertine_BI-4.1.0.ttf
15/06/2010  23:41           241 132 LinLibertine_C-4.0.4.otf
15/06/2010  23:48           629 012 LinLibertine_C-4.0.4.ttf
15/06/2010  23:42           451 756 LinLibertine_It-4.2.6.otf
15/06/2010  23:49           880 244 LinLibertine_It-4.2.6.ttf
15/06/2010  23:42           434 528 LinLibertine_Re-4.7.5.otf
15/06/2010  23:50           914 796 LinLibertine_Re-4.7.5.ttf

My test file:
\setuppapersize[A4][A4]
\setupbodyfont[libertine,12pt]
\starttext
This is a test of Libertine fonts.
\stoptext

After run : context test.tex
I got PDF which does not contain Libertine font !!!

My ConTeXt :
C:\context>context --version
MTXrun | main context file:
C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
MTXrun | current version: 2010.05.24 13:05

Any idea ?

Thanks,

* Re: libertine otf file not recognised
@ 2010-07-04 17:00             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-07-04 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.07.10 18:57, schrieb Vnpenguin:
> On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 13:10, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>>> Could you show me how to install this font for ConTeXt please ?
>>> I use mimimal ConTeXt (Windows XP).
>>>
>> Put the fonts in the systems font directory (C:\Windows\Fonts),
>> this is everything you need for mkiv, to use load them with
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[libertine]
>>
> That does not work for me.
> In C:\Windows\Fonts I have (downloaded from SF site):

You need the files from CTAN.

Wolfgang

* Re: libertine otf file not recognised
@ 2010-07-04 17:44               ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-07-04 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 19:00, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am 04.07.10 18:57, schrieb Vnpenguin:

>>> Put the fonts in the systems font directory (C:\Windows\Fonts),
>>> this is everything you need for mkiv, to use load them with
>>>
>>> \setupbodyfont[libertine]
>>>

>> That does not work for me.
>> In C:\Windows\Fonts I have (downloaded from SF site):
>>

> You need the files from CTAN.

Installed files OTF from CTAN.
Checking:

mtxrun --scripts fonts --list --all --pattern=liber*

linlibertineo                     linlibertineo
c:/windows/fonts/fxlr.otf
linlibertineob                    linlibertineob
c:/windows/fonts/fxlb.otf
linlibertineobi                   linlibertineobi
c:/windows/fonts/fxlbi.otf
linlibertineoi                    linlibertineoi
c:/windows/fonts/fxlri.otf
linlibertineslantedo              linlibertineslantedo
c:/windows/fonts/fxlro.otf
linlibertineslantedob             linlibertineslantedob
c:/windows/fonts/fxlbo.otf
linuxlibertineo                   linlibertineo
c:/windows/fonts/fxlr.otf
linuxlibertineobold               linlibertineob
c:/windows/fonts/fxlb.otf
linuxlibertineobolditalic         linlibertineobi
c:/windows/fonts/fxlbi.otf
linuxlibertineoitalic             linlibertineoi
c:/windows/fonts/fxlri.otf
linuxlibertineonormal             linlibertineo
c:/windows/fonts/fxlr.otf
linuxlibertineoregular            linlibertineo
c:/windows/fonts/fxlr.otf
linuxlibertineslantedo            linlibertineslantedo
c:/windows/fonts/fxlro.otf
linuxlibertineslantedobold        linlibertineslantedob
c:/windows/fonts/fxlbo.otf
linuxlibertineslantedonormal      linlibertineslantedo
c:/windows/fonts/fxlro.otf
linuxlibertineslantedoregular     linlibertineslantedo
c:/windows/fonts/fxlro.otf
linuxlibertineslantedoslantedob   linlibertineslantedob
c:/windows/fonts/fxlbo.otf

But in PDF there is no Libertine font at all. I see only
"LMMono10-Regular" font.
Here is my source tex :

@ 2010-07-04 17:51                 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-07-04 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.07.10 19:44, schrieb Vnpenguin:
> But in PDF there is no Libertine font at all. I see only
> "LMMono10-Regular" font.

Please update the font database: mtxrun --script fonts --reload

Wolfgang

* Re: libertine otf file not recognised
@ 2010-07-04 17:56                   ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-07-04 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 19:51, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am 04.07.10 19:44, schrieb Vnpenguin:
>>
>> But in PDF there is no Libertine font at all. I see only
>> "LMMono10-Regular" font.
>>

> Please update the font database: mtxrun --script fonts --reload

The same. Nothing of Libertine font in PDF file.

* Re: libertine otf file not recognised
@ 2010-07-04 18:03                     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-07-04 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.07.10 19:56, schrieb Vnpenguin:
> On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 19:51, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Am 04.07.10 19:44, schrieb Vnpenguin:
>>
>>> But in PDF there is no Libertine font at all. I see only
>>> "LMMono10-Regular" font.
>>>
>> Please update the font database: mtxrun --script fonts --reload
>>
> The same. Nothing of Libertine font in PDF file.

\setupbodyfont[libertine,rm]

Don't know why but Hans made typewriter the default style for the libertine
fonts and this is why you get LM Mono.

Wolfgang

* Re: libertine otf file not recognised
@ 2010-07-04 18:07                       ` Vnpenguin
From: Vnpenguin @ 2010-07-04 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 20:03, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> \setupbodyfont[libertine,rm]

It works now with this setting.

> Don't know why but Hans made typewriter the default style for the libertine
> fonts and this is why you get LM Mono.

So nobody has this problem until now ?

Thanks for your fast help,

Regards,

* Re: libertine otf file not recognised
@ 2010-07-04 21:07                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-07-04 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4-7-2010 8:03, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 04.07.10 19:56, schrieb Vnpenguin:
>> On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 19:51, Wolfgang Schuster
>> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Please update the font database: mtxrun --script fonts --reload
>> The same. Nothing of Libertine font in PDF file.
>
> \setupbodyfont[libertine,rm]
>
> Don't know why but Hans made typewriter the default style for the libertine
> fonts and this is why you get LM Mono.

probably because i had no proper typewriter l at that time (or maybe it
looked like crap), i also remember the biolinum being far from ok

so, these typescript can be adapted to the situation (we probably need
to use the filenames used on tex live)

feel free to adapt them ..

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE