* collecting user wishes for streams related functionalities
@ 2010-08-18 13:23 Salil Sayed
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Salil Sayed @ 2010-08-18 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

Hans will starting looking into the development of 'streams' for mkvi soon. So
let us gather our wishes for these functions so that the interface can be well
thought of beforehand. Please respond to this thread with your wishes and I
might compile them later in one place if doing so makes sense.

To begin with here is my first wish:

Being able to flow multiple texts in parallel. A simple case is a translation of
the same text running on opposite page while the original runs on left/right
page. In my thesis these are not translations, but correlated texts written for
different audiences. (think of levels in a CG game) So the texts need to be
designed differently.

To extrapolate this facility, if columns on one page can run such parallel texts
then we can have multiple translations running together.

Best regards,

Salil

* Re: collecting user wishes for streams related functionalities
@ 2010-08-18 13:31 ` Khaled Hosny
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-08-18 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 06:23:20AM -0700, Salil Sayed wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Hans will starting looking into the development of 'streams' for mkvi soon. So
> let us gather our wishes for these functions so that the interface can be well
> thought of beforehand. Please respond to this thread with your wishes and I
> might compile them later in one place if doing so makes sense.
>
> To begin with here is my first wish:
>
> Being able to flow multiple texts in parallel. A simple case is a translation
> of the same text running on opposite page while the original runs on left/right
> page. In my thesis these are not translations, but correlated texts written for
> different audiences. (think of levels in a CG game) So the texts need to be
> designed differently.
>
> To extrapolate this facility, if columns on one page can run such parallel
> texts then we can have multiple translations running together.

Old Arabic book, essentially all early Bulaq Press books used to typeset
two books in one, one is the main book running on the body of the page,
while the other is a loosely related book running in the margins of the
page, the second book can be a commentary on the main book, but often
they just discuss the same subject with no direct correlation (not a
critical edition). I'd like to be able to reproduce such layout.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: collecting user wishes for streams related functionalities
@ 2010-08-18 13:47 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-08-18 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> To extrapolate this facility, if columns on one page can run such
> parallel texts then we can have multiple translations running together.

I would like to do something slightly more general: it would be nice if
columnset blocks could take their input from streams, even if the block
is not a full column (or multiple columns).

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: collecting user wishes for streams related functionalities
@ 2010-08-18 14:12 ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-08-18 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-08-18 <06:23:20>, Salil Sayed wrote:
>    Hi All,
>    Hans will starting looking into the development of 'streams' for mkvi
>    soon. So let us gather our wishes for these functions so that the
>    interface can be well thought of beforehand. Please respond to this
>    thread with your wishes and I might compile them later in one place if
>    doing so makes sense.
>    To begin with here is my first wish:
>    Being able to flow multiple texts in parallel. A simple case is a
>    translation of the same text running on opposite page while the
>    original runs on left/right page. In my thesis these are not
>    translations, but correlated texts written for different audiences.
>    (think of levels in a CG game) So the texts need to be designed
>    differently.
>    To extrapolate this facility, if columns on one page can run such
>    parallel texts then we can have multiple translations running together.
>    Best regards,
>    Salil

Hi Salil,

three items I'd like to add:
  * horizontal split page layout (upper and lower parts instead of
    columns),
  * asymmetric stream combinations (e.g. two streams on the left page,
    another stream on the facing page), and
  * easy reprinting (i.e. a photographic reproduction as one stream on
    the left and a text stream on the right page).
I've seen all of this in printed books so it would be a pity to live in
a world where the best typesetting system can't do that. Some of this I
already mentioned to Hans a while ago, maybe he remembers.

Regards, Philipp

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: collecting user wishes for streams related functionalities
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-08-18 14:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-18 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-8-2010 3:23, Salil Sayed wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Hans will starting looking into the development of 'streams' for mkvi soon. So
> let us gather our wishes for these functions so that the interface can be well
> thought of beforehand. Please respond to this thread with your wishes and I
> might compile them later in one place if doing so makes sense.

I assume that eventually you will summarize this.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-18 14:52   ` Kevin D. Robbins
From: Kevin D. Robbins @ 2010-08-18 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

I second the request to support horizontally split page layouts with one
stream typeset above another on each page.

Kevin

@ 2010-08-18 22:18     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-18 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-8-2010 4:52, Kevin D. Robbins wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I second the request to support horizontally split page layouts with one
> stream typeset above another on each page.

it would help to see mockups for such requests

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-19  9:30       ` Salil Sayed
From: Salil Sayed @ 2010-08-19  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think this is good example of this function.

http://books.google.com/books?id=qdltz8N9qSEC&lpg=PP1&dq=the%20body%20multiple&pg=PA4#v=onepage&q&f=false

@ 2010-08-20 23:02       ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-08-20 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-08-19 <00:18:49>, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 18-8-2010 4:52, Kevin D. Robbins wrote:
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >I second the request to support horizontally split page layouts with one
> >stream typeset above another on each page.
>
> it would help to see mockups for such requests

I got a less complex example from the library, in contrast to Salil's
example this one is a translation:

http://bayimg.com/oaoPpaaCh
http://bayimg.com/PAOpAAaCh
http://bayimg.com/pAopbaAch
http://bayimg.com/pAOpDAaCH
http://bayimg.com/PaoPeAAch

Shows clearly that the streams are synced at every section (and that
translation to English is a good compression for German…).

I'll get some scans for asymmetric layouts next.

Good night, Philipp