* framed text over multiple pages
@ 2010-08-30 17:21 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-08-30 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I'm trying to find the command (in manual, wiki or mailing list) that
enables using background behind text spanning over multiple pages.

At the moment I have

\startframedtext
  [width=\textwidth,
   background=color,
   backgroundcolor=mycolor1,
   frame=off,
   leftframe=on,
   framecolor=mycolor2]

but I remember that there used to be a command that allowed doing the
same, but spanning the text over multiple pages. I would be grateful
for any hint/pointer to the manual. I've found a document that does
underlining of words in paragraphs, but this seems like an easier
problem anyway.

Thank you very much,
    Mojca

* Re: framed text over multiple pages
@ 2010-08-30 17:23 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-08-30 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I'm trying to find the command (in manual, wiki or mailing list) that
> enables using background behind text spanning over multiple pages.

Hey, you are getting rusty :-)

> At the moment I have
>
> \startframedtext
>  [width=\textwidth,
>   background=color,
>   backgroundcolor=mycolor1,
>   frame=off,
>   leftframe=on,
>   framecolor=mycolor2]
>
> but I remember that there used to be a command that allowed doing the
> same, but spanning the text over multiple pages.

backgrounds and textbackgrounds. IIRC, they are documented in the details
manual.

Aditya

* Re: framed text over multiple pages
@ 2010-08-30 17:42   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-08-30 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 19:23, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to find the command (in manual, wiki or mailing list) that
>> enables using background behind text spanning over multiple pages.
>
> Hey, you are getting rusty :-)

I am. In past I used to spend much longer solving ConTeXt-related
issues than writing reports which turned out to be a very bad strategy
for the sake of writing speed. On top of that, I didn't manage to
follow the MKIV development anywhere closely ... and this is
definitely one of areas where much more is possible in MKIV than it
used to be possible in MKII.

If I spend too much time solving ConTeXt-related issues this week, I
will run out of time and won't be able to go to the ConTeXt conference
... :) :) :) I don't want to repeat the history this month.

>> At the moment I have
>>
>> \startframedtext
>>  [width=\textwidth,
>>  background=color,
>>  backgroundcolor=mycolor1,
>>  frame=off,
>>  leftframe=on,
>>  framecolor=mycolor2]
>>
>> but I remember that there used to be a command that allowed doing the
>> same, but spanning the text over multiple pages.
>
> backgrounds and textbackgrounds. IIRC, they are documented in the details
> manual.

Oh, sure, thanks a lot. However ... \definetextbackground doesn't seem
to support leftframe=on. That means that I need to use metapost to
draw it ... (or just continue searching) ... or even better ... ignore
my idea to draw the left frame and just continue writing ...

Thanks,

@ 2010-08-30 18:11     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-08-30 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 19:23, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to find the command (in manual, wiki or mailing list) that
>>> enables using background behind text spanning over multiple pages.
>>
>> Hey, you are getting rusty :-)
>
> I am. In past I used to spend much longer solving ConTeXt-related
> issues than writing reports which turned out to be a very bad strategy
> for the sake of writing speed. On top of that, I didn't manage to
> follow the MKIV development anywhere closely ... and this is
> definitely one of areas where much more is possible in MKIV than it
> used to be possible in MKII.

I will believe that you are writing something when I see your thesis :-) I
have heard rumours that it exists.

>>> At the moment I have
>>>
>>> \startframedtext
>>>  [width=\textwidth,
>>>  background=color,
>>>  backgroundcolor=mycolor1,
>>>  frame=off,
>>>  leftframe=on,
>>>  framecolor=mycolor2]
>>>
>>> but I remember that there used to be a command that allowed doing the
>>> same, but spanning the text over multiple pages.
>>
>> backgrounds and textbackgrounds. IIRC, they are documented in the details
>> manual.
>
> Oh, sure, thanks a lot. However ... \definetextbackground doesn't seem
> to support leftframe=on. That means that I need to use metapost to
> draw it ... (or just continue searching) ... or even better ... ignore
> my idea to draw the left frame and just continue writing ...

Drawing a left frame using a metapost shouldn't be too hard.

draw leftboundary OverlayBox withpen pencircle scaled 1bp withcolor red ;

(or something like that).

Aditya

* Re: framed text over multiple pages
@ 2010-08-30 19:13     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-30 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30-8-2010 7:42, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 19:23, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to find the command (in manual, wiki or mailing list) that
>>> enables using background behind text spanning over multiple pages.
>>
>> Hey, you are getting rusty :-)
>
> I am. In past I used to spend much longer solving ConTeXt-related
> issues than writing reports which turned out to be a very bad strategy
> for the sake of writing speed. On top of that, I didn't manage to
> follow the MKIV development anywhere closely ... and this is
> definitely one of areas where much more is possible in MKIV than it
> used to be possible in MKII.

hey, these textbackgrounds have been in mkii for a long time ...
actually I must see if I can make them better in mkiv

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-30 19:15       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-30 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30-8-2010 8:11, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>>> Hey, you are getting rusty :-)
>>
>> I am. In past I used to spend much longer solving ConTeXt-related
>> issues than writing reports which turned out to be a very bad strategy
>> for the sake of writing speed. On top of that, I didn't manage to
>> follow the MKIV development anywhere closely ... and this is
>> definitely one of areas where much more is possible in MKIV than it
>> used to be possible in MKII.
>
> I will believe that you are writing something when I see your thesis :-)
> I have heard rumours that it exists.

We expect her to take a copy to the conference. At least we need to
check if she used tex at all. Or maybe it was just excessive use of
\fakewords and \fakeformula after page 10.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-30 19:23   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-30 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30-8-2010 7:23, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I'm trying to find the command (in manual, wiki or mailing list) that
>> enables using background behind text spanning over multiple pages.
>
> Hey, you are getting rusty :-)

imagine how more better mkiv would have been if Mojca had been using it ...

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE