* Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-29 17:11 Xan xan
From: Xan xan @ 2010-08-29 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I want to "migrate" one LaTeX document to ConTeXt document. I only want to
put the _exact_ margins LaTeX use for \documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}.

Anyone could say me the exact values I have to put in **layout**?

Thanks,
Xan.

* Re: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-30  6:33 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTimaBwE4qnWDer+m1xvsU-10pVSjUQ7W1CcENnJB@mail.gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-30  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29-8-2010 7:11, Xan xan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to "migrate" one LaTeX document to ConTeXt document. I only want to
> put the _exact_ margins LaTeX use for \documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}.
>

> Anyone could say me the exact values I have to put in **layout**?

You first have to figure out what the exact latex values are. I suppose
that they are documented somewhere or can be deduced from the document
class (maybe make a list for more popular document classes).

At some point there can be a module doing things like

\definelayout[latex-article][...]

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Fwd: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTimaBwE4qnWDer+m1xvsU-10pVSjUQ7W1CcENnJB@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-08-30  9:23     ` Xan xan
From: Xan xan @ 2010-08-30  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

There is a technical explanation in "The Not so Short Introduction to
LaTeX" [tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf]
(page 129)

It's too much for me. I supose there are equivalencies in ConTeXt but
too bit tech for me.

Thanks,
Xan.

2010/8/30 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>

> On 29-8-2010 7:11, Xan xan wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to "migrate" one LaTeX document to ConTeXt document. I only want to
>> put the _exact_ margins LaTeX use for \documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}.
>>

>> Anyone could say me the exact values I have to put in **layout**?
>
> You first have to figure out what the exact latex values are. I suppose that they are documented somewhere or can be deduced from the document class (maybe make a list for more popular document classes).
>
> At some point there can be a module doing things like
>
> \definelayout[latex-article][...]
>
> Hans

>                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>              Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>    tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Fwd: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-30 10:37       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-30 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30-8-2010 11:23, Xan xan wrote:

> There is a technical explanation in "The Not so Short Introduction to
> LaTeX" [tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf]
> (page 129)
>
> It's too much for me. I supose there are equivalencies in ConTeXt but
> too bit tech for me.

sure, setuplayout can be used to define any layout I guess but I'm not
going to read latex manuals (not even short ones) and reverse latex
dimensions myself so it's up to other users then

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-30 14:02       ` Yury G. Kudryashov
From: Yury G. Kudryashov @ 2010-08-30 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Xan xan wrote:

> [...]
You can \show (\showthe? I don't remember) vairous LaTeX dimensions:

Also look at http://www.mccme.ru/free-books/llang/newllang.pdf page 166. It
is in Russian but the scheme should be self-explanatory. "дюйм" means
"inch". I'm too lazy to find such scheme in English.

* Re: Fwd: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-30 15:03         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-08-30 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 16:02, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
> Xan xan wrote:
>
>> There is a technical explanation in "The Not so Short Introduction to
>> LaTeX" [tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf]
>> (page 129)
>>
>> It's too much for me. I supose there are equivalencies in ConTeXt but
>> too bit tech for me.
> You can \show (\showthe? I don't remember) vairous LaTeX dimensions:
>
> Also look at http://www.mccme.ru/free-books/llang/newllang.pdf page 166. It
> is in Russian but the scheme should be self-explanatory. "дюйм" means
> "inch". I'm too lazy to find such scheme in English.

Comparing with page 129 (143) of
    http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf
... (which is almost the same as the Russian drawing)

it is possible to reverse-engineer the dimensions, but I crossed
against something I don't understand straight away. The distance
between paper border and text is [1]+[3]=1 inch + 0pt + 22pt (but that
doesn't seem to be the case in A4 paper setting anyway), while width
of left margin in [10] = 106pt which makes the margin stick out of
paper, right?

One could experiment with settings like these:

\setuplayout
  [backspace=\dimexpr 1in+22pt\relax, % [1] + [3] = (1 inch +
\hoffset=0pt) + \oddsidemargin=22pt
   leftmargindistance=7pt, % [9] = \marginparsep=7pt
   leftmargin=106pt, % [10] = \marginparwidth=106pt
  ]
% etc.
\starttext
\showlayout
\inleft{some text very very very very long margin}
\input tufte
\stoptext

but the drawing in TNSS is lying a bit (or maybe ConTeXt is wrong ... :).

Mojca

* Re: Fwd: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-30 16:43           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-30 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30-8-2010 5:03, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> it is possible to reverse-engineer the dimensions, but I crossed
> against something I don't understand straight away. The distance
> between paper border and text is [1]+[3]=1 inch + 0pt + 22pt (but that
> doesn't seem to be the case in A4 paper setting anyway), while width
> of left margin in [10] = 106pt which makes the margin stick out of
> paper, right?

That drawing on p 129 is somewhat puzzling.

I get the impression that somehow these old-time 1in built-in dvi
offsets are being used; in context these have been zeroed out right from
the start

> but the drawing in TNSS is lying a bit (or maybe ConTeXt is wrong ... :).

how can you doubt !

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-31  7:39           ` xancorreu
From: xancorreu @ 2010-08-31  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Al 30/08/10 17:03, En/na Mojca Miklavec ha escrit:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 16:02, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
>
>> Xan xan wrote:
>>

>>> There is a technical explanation in "The Not so Short Introduction to
>>> LaTeX" [tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf]
>>> (page 129)
>>>
>>> It's too much for me. I supose there are equivalencies in ConTeXt but
>>> too bit tech for me.
>>>
>> You can \show (\showthe? I don't remember) vairous LaTeX dimensions:
>>
>> Also look at http://www.mccme.ru/free-books/llang/newllang.pdf page 166. It
>> is in Russian but the scheme should be self-explanatory. "дюйм" means
>> "inch". I'm too lazy to find such scheme in English.
>>
> Comparing with page 129 (143) of
>      http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf
> ... (which is almost the same as the Russian drawing)
>
> it is possible to reverse-engineer the dimensions, but I crossed
> against something I don't understand straight away. The distance
> between paper border and text is [1]+[3]=1 inch + 0pt + 22pt (but that
> doesn't seem to be the case in A4 paper setting anyway), while width
> of left margin in [10] = 106pt which makes the margin stick out of
> paper, right?
>
> One could experiment with settings like these:
>
> \setuplayout
>    [backspace=\dimexpr 1in+22pt\relax, % [1] + [3] = (1 inch +
> \hoffset=0pt) + \oddsidemargin=22pt
>     leftmargindistance=7pt, % [9] = \marginparsep=7pt
>     leftmargin=106pt, % [10] = \marginparwidth=106pt
>    ]
> % etc.
> \starttext
> \showlayout
> \inleft{some text very very very very long margin}
> \input tufte
> \stoptext
>
> but the drawing in TNSS is lying a bit (or maybe ConTeXt is wrong ... :).
>
> Mojca

Thanks Mojca for trying it.... now you check that this was very
difficult for a newbee as me ;-)

If the exact way is too complicated, is there any **approximate** way to
obtain the usually margins in LaTeX article in 10 pt?

Thanks  a lot,
Xan.

* Re: Fwd: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-31  7:42             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-08-31  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/31/2010 09:39 AM, xancorreu wrote:

>> \setuplayout
>> [backspace=\dimexpr 1in+22pt\relax, % [1] + [3] = (1 inch +
>> \hoffset=0pt) + \oddsidemargin=22pt
>>
>> Mojca
> Thanks Mojca for trying it.... now you check that this was very
> difficult for a newbee as me ;-)

You probably have to add another 1in to the backspace, for the \hoffset.

> If the exact way is too complicated, is there any **approximate** way to
> obtain the usually margins in LaTeX article in 10 pt?

Sure there is: print an article.cls output pdf and measure the distances
with a ruler (that is what I do when I need to mimic a layout).

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Fwd: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-31  8:09               ` Mojca Miklavec
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-08-31  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 09:42, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 08/31/2010 09:39 AM, xancorreu wrote:
>>>
>>> \setuplayout
>>> [backspace=\dimexpr 1in+22pt\relax, % [1] + [3] = (1 inch +
>>> \hoffset=0pt) + \oddsidemargin=22pt
>>>
>>> Mojca
>>
>> Thanks Mojca for trying it.... now you check that this was very
>> difficult for a newbee as me ;-)
>
> You probably have to add another 1in to the backspace, for the \hoffset.
>
>> If the exact way is too complicated, is there any **approximate** way to
>> obtain the usually margins in LaTeX article in 10 pt?

The exact way would be to read the LaTeX class and figure out what
dimensions are being used there. The approximate way would be to
visually compare the output of LaTeX and ConTeXt.

> Sure there is: print an article.cls output pdf and measure the distances
> with a ruler (that is what I do when I need to mimic a layout).

Or take Adobe Acrobat and use measuring tool, or compare visually
(aligning two documents in pdf viewer). If you print out the material
there's always a chance that printer won't align the edges properly.

The third option is to use the following in LaTeX to figure out what
dimensions are being used in LaTeX, compare that with figure in The
Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX and then use these numbers in
ConTeXt (properly adjusted for the differences):

hoffset=\the\hoffset\par
oddsidemargin=\the\oddsidemargin\par
marginparwidth=\the\marginparwidth\par
textwidth=\the\textwidth\par

But after I have managed to guess somehow that the horizontal
dimensions were matching
	[backspace=\dimexpr 1in+31pt\relax
	 width=\dimexpr 390pt\relax,
in latex,12pt (but for some unknow reason hyphenation in ConTeXt was
off, or at least at different penalty values, so I didn't manage to
compare the line breaks) ... I realized that margins change if you try
to use
    \documentclass[10pt,a4paper]{article}
instead of 12pt, so one would need to account for that change as well.

Mojca

* Re: Fwd: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-31  8:34                 ` Yury G. Kudryashov
From: Yury G. Kudryashov @ 2010-08-31  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 09:42, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> to use
>     \documentclass[10pt,a4paper]{article}
> instead of 12pt, so one would need to account for that change as well.

One more warning: AFAIR, [10pt,a4paper] != [a4paper,10pt].

* Re: Fwd: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-31  8:50                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-31  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-8-2010 10:09, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> in latex,12pt (but for some unknow reason hyphenation in ConTeXt was
> off, or at least at different penalty values, so I didn't manage to
> compare the line breaks) ... I realized that margins change if you try
> to use
>      \documentclass[10pt,a4paper]{article}
> instead of 12pt, so one would need to account for that change as well.

you can be pretty sure that defaults in context differe from those in
latex, if only because latex never was the starting point

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-31  9:16             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-31  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-8-2010 9:39, xancorreu wrote:

> Thanks Mojca for trying it.... now you check that this was very
> difficult for a newbee as me ;-)

Seems difficult for anyone so I think that Taco's approach: "just
measure" is the safest. After all, you will never get 100% compatible
output.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-31  9:20                 ` xancorreu
From: xancorreu @ 2010-08-31  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I follow your suggestion: rule but I'm in trouble: with

\setuplayout[topspace=3cm,leftmargin=3cm,rightmargin=3cm,header=2cm,footer=2cm,width=12cm,height=fit,backspace=3cm,rightedge=5cm,leftedge=5cm]

I obtained a non-centered layout!!! leftedge and rightedge are the
margins between the final of the paper and the {left,right}margin, isn't?

How to center the layout with
topspace=3cm,
leftmargin=3cm,
rightmargin=3cm,
header=2cm,
footer=2cm,
width=12cm,
height=fit,
backspace=3cm

???

Thanks

* Re: Fwd: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-31  9:23                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-31  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-8-2010 11:20, xancorreu wrote:
> I follow your suggestion: rule but I'm in trouble: with
>
> \setuplayout[topspace=3cm,leftmargin=3cm,rightmargin=3cm,header=2cm,footer=2cm,width=12cm,height=fit,backspace=3cm,rightedge=5cm,leftedge=5cm]
>

> I obtained a non-centered layout!!! leftedge and rightedge are the
> margins between the final of the paper and the {left,right}margin, isn't?
>
> How to center the layout with
> topspace=3cm,
> leftmargin=3cm,
> rightmargin=3cm,
> header=2cm,
> footer=2cm,
> width=12cm,
> height=fit,
> backspace=3cm

width=middle

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-31  9:30               ` xancorreu
From: xancorreu @ 2010-08-31  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Al 31/08/10 11:16, En/na Hans Hagen ha escrit:
> On 31-8-2010 9:39, xancorreu wrote:
>
>> Thanks Mojca for trying it.... now you check that this was very
>> difficult for a newbee as me ;-)
>
> Seems difficult for anyone so I think that Taco's approach: "just
> measure" is the safest. After all, you will never get 100% compatible
> output.
>
> Hans

Yeah but it's a little bit "chapucero" (spanish) ;-)

Xan.

* Re: Fwd: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-31  9:33                     ` xancorreu
From: xancorreu @ 2010-08-31  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Al 31/08/10 11:23, En/na Hans Hagen ha escrit:
> On 31-8-2010 11:20, xancorreu wrote:
>> I follow your suggestion: rule but I'm in trouble: with
>>
>> \setuplayout[topspace=3cm,leftmargin=3cm,rightmargin=3cm,header=2cm,footer=2cm,width=12cm,height=fit,backspace=3cm,rightedge=5cm,leftedge=5cm]
>>

>> I obtained a non-centered layout!!! leftedge and rightedge are the
>> margins between the final of the paper and the {left,right}margin,
>> isn't?
>>
>> How to center the layout with
>> topspace=3cm,
>> leftmargin=3cm,
>> rightmargin=3cm,
>> header=2cm,
>> footer=2cm,
>> width=12cm,
>> height=fit,
>> backspace=3cm
>
> width=middle

>     tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

WIth

\setuplayout[topspace=3cm,leftmargin=3cm,rightmargin=3cm,header=2cm,footer=2cm,width=middle,height=fit,backspace=3cm,rightedge=5cm,leftedge=5cm]

leftedge and rightedge are ignored. Arghhhh!!!

Thanks,
Xan.

* Re: Fwd: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-31  9:38                     ` xancorreu
From: xancorreu @ 2010-08-31  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simple case:

% Margins
\setuplayout[topspace=3cm,leftmargin=5cm,rightmargin=5cm,header=2cm,footer=2cm,width=middle,height=fit,backspace=3cm]

the left and rightmargin values are ignored: 5cm, 2cm no matter...
always the same.

* Re: Fwd: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-31 10:00                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-31 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-8-2010 11:33, xancorreu wrote:
> Al 31/08/10 11:23, En/na Hans Hagen ha escrit:
>> On 31-8-2010 11:20, xancorreu wrote:
>>> I follow your suggestion: rule but I'm in trouble: with
>>>
>>> \setuplayout[topspace=3cm,leftmargin=3cm,rightmargin=3cm,header=2cm,footer=2cm,width=12cm,height=fit,backspace=3cm,rightedge=5cm,leftedge=5cm]
>>>

>>> I obtained a non-centered layout!!! leftedge and rightedge are the
>>> margins between the final of the paper and the {left,right}margin,
>>> isn't?
>>>
>>> How to center the layout with
>>> topspace=3cm,
>>> leftmargin=3cm,
>>> rightmargin=3cm,
>>> header=2cm,
>>> footer=2cm,
>>> width=12cm,
>>> height=fit,
>>> backspace=3cm
>>
>> width=middle

>> Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>> Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>> tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>> | www.pragma-pod.nl
>

> WIth
>
> \setuplayout[topspace=3cm,leftmargin=3cm,rightmargin=3cm,header=2cm,footer=2cm,width=middle,height=fit,backspace=3cm,rightedge=5cm,leftedge=5cm]
>

> leftedge and rightedge are ignored. Arghhhh!!!

margins and edges are sort of virtual; they only are used for putting
stuff into (and then the dimensions determins the width etc) ...
backspace and cutspace are the ones to use

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-31 10:22   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-08-31 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 30.08.2010 um 08:33 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 29-8-2010 7:11, Xan xan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to "migrate" one LaTeX document to ConTeXt document. I only want to
>> put the _exact_ margins LaTeX use for \documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}.
>>

>> Anyone could say me the exact values I have to put in **layout**?
>
> You first have to figure out what the exact latex values are. I suppose that they are documented somewhere or can be deduced from the document class (maybe make a list for more popular document classes).
>
> At some point there can be a module doing things like
>
> \definelayout[latex-article][...]

I looked now in the files where the layout for the standard classes in latex
is defined and it's a mess to reproduce them in context because all values
depend on the papersize and fontsize and it takes a lot of code (even with
etex’s \dimexpr) because there are checks whether a calculated dimensions
exceeds a fixed limit.

This is how the layout for a document with a fontsize of 10pt looks:

\definelayout
  [latex10]
  [width=\ifdim\dimexpr\paperwidth-2in\relax>345pt\relax 345pt\else\dimexpr\paperwidth-2in\relax\fi, % \paperwidth-2in or 345pt, use the smaller value
   backspace=\dimexpr(\paperwidth-\textwidth)/2-1in\relax,
   leftmargindistance=7pt,
   leftmargin=,
   topspace=,
   header=12pt,
   headerdistance=.25in,
   height=,
   footer=,
   footerdistance=,]

Wolfgang

* Re: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-31 16:33     ` xancorreu
From: xancorreu @ 2010-08-31 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Al 31/08/10 12:22, En/na Wolfgang Schuster ha escrit:
> \definelayout
>    [latex10]
>    [width=\ifdim\dimexpr\paperwidth-2in\relax>345pt\relax 345pt\else\dimexpr\paperwidth-2in\relax\fi, % \paperwidth-2in or 345pt, use the smaller value
>     backspace=\dimexpr(\paperwidth-\textwidth)/2-1in\relax,
>     leftmargindistance=7pt,
>     leftmargin=,
>     topspace=,
>     header=12pt,
>     headerdistance=.25in,
>     height=,
>     footer=,
>     footerdistance=,]

Thank you very much for your effort, but it does not work for me:

! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                    \global
\dorecalculatelayout ...ter \c!leftmargin \global
                                                   \rightmarginwidth
\layoutp...

\dosetuplayout ...#1}}}\fi \fi \recalculatelayout
                                                   \checkcurrentlayout
\prese...
<to be read again>
                    \par
l.36

? x
No pages of output.
Transcript written on arxiv.log.

For now, I use
% Margins
\setuplayout[topspace=3cm,leftmargin=3cm,rightmargin=3cm,header=2cm,footer=2cm,width=middle,height=fit,backspace=4.4cm]

with approximate the latex in 10.

* Re: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-08-31 20:29       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-08-31 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 31.08.2010 um 18:33 schrieb xancorreu:

> Al 31/08/10 12:22, En/na Wolfgang Schuster ha escrit:
>> \definelayout
>>   [latex10]
>>   [width=\ifdim\dimexpr\paperwidth-2in\relax>345pt\relax 345pt\else\dimexpr\paperwidth-2in\relax\fi, % \paperwidth-2in or 345pt, use the smaller value
>>    backspace=\dimexpr(\paperwidth-\textwidth)/2-1in\relax,
>>    leftmargindistance=7pt,
>>    leftmargin=,
>>    topspace=,
>>    header=12pt,
>>    headerdistance=.25in,
>>    height=,
>>    footer=,
>>    footerdistance=,]
>>

> Thank you very much for your effort, but it does not work for me:

This was just a example to show you how difficult it is to emulate latex’s layout
in context because the values depend on different paramaters like the fontsize and
the papersize. The example does not work because a few value like topspace or height
are missing and this is why you get the error messages.

Wolfgang

* Re: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins
@ 2010-09-01  8:04         ` xancorreu
From: xancorreu @ 2010-09-01  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Al 31/08/10 22:29, En/na Wolfgang Schuster ha escrit:
> Am 31.08.2010 um 18:33 schrieb xancorreu:
>

>> Al 31/08/10 12:22, En/na Wolfgang Schuster ha escrit:
>>
>>> \definelayout
>>>    [latex10]
>>>    [width=\ifdim\dimexpr\paperwidth-2in\relax>345pt\relax 345pt\else\dimexpr\paperwidth-2in\relax\fi, % \paperwidth-2in or 345pt, use the smaller value
>>>     backspace=\dimexpr(\paperwidth-\textwidth)/2-1in\relax,
>>>     leftmargindistance=7pt,
>>>     leftmargin=,
>>>     topspace=,
>>>     header=12pt,
>>>     headerdistance=.25in,
>>>     height=,
>>>     footer=,
>>>     footerdistance=,]
>>>

>> Thank you very much for your effort, but it does not work for me:
>>

> This was just a example to show you how difficult it is to emulate latex’s layout
> in context because the values depend on different paramaters like the fontsize and
> the papersize. The example does not work because a few value like topspace or height
> are missing and this is why you get the error messages.
>
> Wolfgang

Yes, it's true but I thought that because all is TeX based then there
are similar in basic elements (like this). But definitely, they are very
differents....

@ 2010-09-01  9:37           ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2010-09-01  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Yes, it's true but I thought that because all is TeX based then there
> are similar in basic elements (like this). But definitely, they are very
> differents....

  TeX is the typesetting engine, it acts as a much lower level than
this.  The similarities are in the line-breaking and paragraph-shaping
algorithms, macro expansion, etc., not in the way the layout of the text
is controlled (text width, margins and the like).  In fact, the latter
even is one of the areas where ConTeXt is *totally different* from LaTeX
since, as was hinted, LaTeX never was considered when ConTeXt started.

	Arthur