* section conversion gets lost in MKIV
@ 2010-08-30  8:34 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-08-30  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

Here's a minimal example that work correct in MKII, but wrong in MKIV:

\setupsection
	[chapter]
	[conversion=Characters]
\setupsection
	[section]
	[conversion=]

\starttext
\chapter{first}
\section{subfirst}
\stoptext

It results in
    A first
    1.1 subfirst
while it should keep "A.1" instead of "1.1" for the section numbering.

Mojca

* Re: section conversion gets lost in MKIV
@ 2010-08-30 11:23 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-30 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30-8-2010 10:34, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Here's a minimal example that work correct in MKII, but wrong in MKIV:
>
> \setupsection
> 	[chapter]
> 	[conversion=Characters]
> \setupsection
> 	[section]
> 	[conversion=]
>
> \starttext
> \chapter{first}
> \section{subfirst}
> \stoptext
>
> It results in
>      A first
>      1.1 subfirst
> while it should keep "A.1" instead of "1.1" for the section numbering.

The new way is:

\definestructureconversionset[MySet][numbers,Characters][numbers] % [per
level] [default]

\setupsection
   [chapter]
   [sectionconversionset=MySet]

\starttext

\chapter{first}
\section{subfirst}

\stoptext

What you observe is 'conversion' being inherited and makins both the
conversionsets and conversion work as you want will mess up much code so
I think that I will remove the 'conversion' key completely in favor of
the set. Keep in mind that we now keep more status info around and more
or less local conversion settings (after all then can be changed each
moment) is not part of that.

So, a next release will drop 'conversion' ... better not that
unpredictable.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-31 11:07   ` Cedric Mauclair
From: Cedric Mauclair @ 2010-08-31 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a documentation and/or extensive example of the conversionset
feature (and others) somewhere? The comments in the source files (on
the wiki) are kind of scarce and I can't quite figure out how to use
them.

Thanks.

-- Cédric

@ 2010-08-31 11:30     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-31 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-8-2010 1:07, Cedric Mauclair wrote:

> Is there a documentation and/or extensive example of the conversionset
> feature (and others) somewhere? The comments in the source files (on
> the wiki) are kind of scarce and I can't quite figure out how to use
> them.

it's just a list of conversions starting with the one for 'part' and the
second arg is the default so

[numbers,characters,greek][numbers]

will number parts 1..n, chapters a..z and sections alpha..omega and all
below that as 1..n

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-08-31 14:28       ` Cedric Mauclair
From: Cedric Mauclair @ 2010-08-31 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 13:30, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 31-8-2010 1:07, Cedric Mauclair wrote:
>
>> Is there a documentation and/or extensive example of the conversionset
>> feature (and others) somewhere? The comments in the source files (on
>> the wiki) are kind of scarce and I can't quite figure out how to use
>> them.
>
> it's just a list of conversions starting with the one for 'part' and the
> second arg is the default so
>
> [numbers,characters,greek][numbers]
>
> will number parts 1..n, chapters a..z and sections alpha..omega and all
> below that as 1..n
All right, I'm starting to get it, for "conversionset" at least. I
still have some questions though.

1. To what do "P" and "P.N" refer to in strc-ini.mkiv?

2. What does the little table mean ("reference, mark, list, text"
against "section, float, etc.")? I see there is something going on
with the next few lines, but I don't clearly see how to use the table.

Thanks.

@ 2010-08-31 15:15         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-08-31 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-8-2010 4:28, Cedric Mauclair wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 13:30, Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  wrote:
>> On 31-8-2010 1:07, Cedric Mauclair wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a documentation and/or extensive example of the conversionset
>>> feature (and others) somewhere? The comments in the source files (on
>>> the wiki) are kind of scarce and I can't quite figure out how to use
>>> them.
>>
>> it's just a list of conversions starting with the one for 'part' and the
>> second arg is the default so
>>
>> [numbers,characters,greek][numbers]
>>
>> will number parts 1..n, chapters a..z and sections alpha..omega and all
>> below that as 1..n
> All right, I'm starting to get it, for "conversionset" at least. I
> still have some questions though.
>
> 1. To what do "P" and "P.N" refer to in strc-ini.mkiv?

prefix ... some numbers, like a figurenumber can have the section number
as prefix and all that is kept track of so that in a table of contents
(of ref) one can have different formatting rules

> 2. What does the little table mean ("reference, mark, list, text"
> against "section, float, etc.")? I see there is something going on
> with the next few lines, but I don't clearly see how to use the table.

reference, mark, list, text

are the text variants (so a bookmark or list entry can be different from
the title shown as section)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE