From: "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: Page Numbering Hell
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 22:57:49 +0200	[thread overview]

Since you weren't satisfied with the reply you got, here's another
attempt to please you:
On Oct 21, 2009, at 8:36 AM, Bryant Eastham wrote:

> All-
>
> A few days ago when I first stumbled on ConTeXt I was very, very
> excited. I have some 500 pages of technical documentation that could
> benefit from this, particularly since I need Japanese font support.
> But it has to be real.
>
> I’m sorry if this sounds caustic, but after 12 hours of failed
> attempts to even get a minimal document formatted I have some
> serious questions for the list:

What do you mean "get even a minimal document formatted"? You're
complaining that you don't find "current examples that actually work,"
yet instead of a real minimal example, you post only rants. Give us a
real example of what you have tried, and someone may be able to help
you.

> 1.       Is Mark IV real? I am only somewhat joking here – after
> spending hours searching for reasonable documentation on even the
> most trivial options, I am left wondering whether this is something
> I want to use…

No Mkiv isn't real. For two years, we've all been part of this
elaborate hoax. We pretend we're using a software that doesn't exist.

> 2.       ConTeXt looks great. But what is current? Seriously, I like
> the look and the support (particularly Unicode). But going over
> documentation I cannot make heads or tails of what to do. Mark II?
> Mark IV? TeTeX? LuaTeX? If I really want to use this, what should I
> use?

TeTeX is the odd item in your list. It's a defunct TeX system that
hasn't been updated in three years or so. You may have meant XeTeX. On
a serious note: For 95 % of ConTeXt, it doesn't matter what engine you
use. The high-level code in your document should give identical output
with pdftext (= mkii), XeTeX, or the new luatex engine (= mkiv). If
you need Japanese, you will probably want to use XeTeX or luatex. For
the differences between mkiv and mkii, see http://wiki.contextgarden.net/MkIV_Differences

> 3.       Having answered #2, where in the world is a reference
> manual!!! I mean one that actually *documents the options*.

What documentation did you read? cont-eni.pdf? The wiki? Have you
looked at all the manuals available on http://www.pragma-ade.com/show-man-1.htm
  ? cont-eni.pdf is still the current documentation; if you want to
have a brief look at options, I would recommend http://texshow.contextgarden.net/

> 4.       Having answered #3, are there any current examples that
> actually work? The snippets from the mailing are great, but they are
> just snippets. That doesn’t help me.

What is missing on http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Sample_documents ?
There are several sample documents.

> Now, to resolve my immediate issue, and just because I will not be
> able to sleep well until I figure this out (yes, I am fixated on
> this).
>
> I want this document structure:
>
> Contents
> 1.       Chapter                                   1-1
> 1.1 Section                             1-2
> 2.   Chapter 2                                  2-1
>     2.1 Section                                 2-2
>
> Table of contents on page “i”.
> Even/odd, each chapter starts on right page.
> Page number (as in 2-2) in top margin.
> Mark IV, Lua document.
>
> I have tried hundreds of different combinations. If it cannot do
> this, the I will (with sadness) move on. I’m sure that it would take
> someone who understands this about 5 minutes to write (if that).

Then show us a minimal example of one of these hundreds of
combinations, and somebody will look at it and may have an idea. But I
doubt that anybody will want to write this for you.

Thomas