* ConTeXt Minimals: `luatools --selfupdate` does not work.
@ 2010-09-03 13:28 Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2010-09-03 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear ConTeXt folks,

I installed ConTeXt minimals and tried to run

	luatools --selfupdate

as documented in the Wiki [1].

It looks like, the option is not supported anymore, since the output
looks like a list of supported options. Am I right about this?

        $ luatools --selfupdate

        MTXrun | TDS Runner Tool 1.26 | ConTeXt TDS Management Tool 1.35 (aka luatools)
        MTXrun |
        MTXrun | --generate        generate file database
        MTXrun | --variables       show configuration variables
        MTXrun | --expansions      show expanded variables
        MTXrun | --configurations  show configuration order
        MTXrun | --expand-braces   expand complex variable
        MTXrun | --expand-path     expand variable (resolve paths)
        MTXrun | --expand-var      expand variable (resolve references)
        MTXrun | --show-path       show path expansion of ...
        MTXrun | --var-value       report value of variable
        MTXrun | --find-file       report file location
        MTXrun | --find-path       report path of file
        MTXrun | --make or --ini   make luatex format
        MTXrun | --run or --fmt=   run luatex format
        MTXrun | --luafile=str     lua inifile (default is <progname>.lua)
        MTXrun | --lualibs=list    libraries to assemble (optional when --compile)
        MTXrun | --compile         assemble and compile lua inifile
        MTXrun | --verbose         give a bit more info
        MTXrun | --all             show all found files
        MTXrun | --sort            sort cached data
        MTXrun | --format=str      filter cf format specification (default 'tex', use 'any' for any match)
        MTXrun | --engine=str      target engine
        MTXrun | --progname=str    format or backend
        MTXrun | --pattern=str     filter variables
        MTXrun | --trackers=list   enable given trackers
        MTXrun |
        MTXrun | More information about ConTeXt and the tools that come with it can be found at:
        MTXrun |
        MTXrun | maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
        MTXrun | webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://tex.aanhet.net
        MTXrun | wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals

* Re: ConTeXt Minimals: `luatools --selfupdate` does not work.
@ 2010-09-03 14:48 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-09-03 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3-9-2010 3:28, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear ConTeXt folks,
>

> I installed ConTeXt minimals and tried to run
>
> 	luatools --selfupdate
>
> as documented in the Wiki [1].
>
> It looks like, the option is not supported anymore, since the output
> looks like a list of supported options. Am I right about this?

this is because luatools is now a shortcut to "mtxrun --script base" so
you only need to selfupdate mtxrun ... originally luatools was meant as
a generic stub for making luatex formats etc but as I don't expect it to
be used outside context it's sort of gone as independent script as
mtxrun can do most of the same (what's left ended up in mtx-base)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-09-03 15:16   ` Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2010-09-03 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Freitag, den 03.09.2010, 16:48 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 3-9-2010 3:28, Paul Menzel wrote:

> > I installed ConTeXt minimals and tried to run
> >
> > 	luatools --selfupdate
> >
> > as documented in the Wiki [1].
> >
> > It looks like, the option is not supported anymore, since the output
> > looks like a list of supported options. Am I right about this?
>
> this is because luatools is now a shortcut to "mtxrun --script base" so
> you only need to selfupdate mtxrun ... originally luatools was meant as
> a generic stub for making luatex formats etc but as I don't expect it to
> be used outside context it's sort of gone as independent script as
> mtxrun can do most of the same (what's left ended up in mtx-base)

Understood. I updated the Wiki page accordingly [2].

Thanks,

Paul

PS: `luatools --generate` still does something. Is it deprecated and
superseded by a `mtxrun` command?

[2] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/index.php?title=ConTeXt_Minimals&oldid=11942

* Re: ConTeXt Minimals: `luatools --selfupdate` does not work.
@ 2010-09-03 17:32     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-09-03 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3-9-2010 5:16, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 03.09.2010, 16:48 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>> On 3-9-2010 3:28, Paul Menzel wrote:
>
>>> I installed ConTeXt minimals and tried to run
>>>
>>> 	luatools --selfupdate
>>>
>>> as documented in the Wiki [1].
>>>
>>> It looks like, the option is not supported anymore, since the output
>>> looks like a list of supported options. Am I right about this?
>>
>> this is because luatools is now a shortcut to "mtxrun --script base" so
>> you only need to selfupdate mtxrun ... originally luatools was meant as
>> a generic stub for making luatex formats etc but as I don't expect it to
>> be used outside context it's sort of gone as independent script as
>> mtxrun can do most of the same (what's left ended up in mtx-base)
>
> Understood. I updated the Wiki page accordingly [2].
>

> Thanks,
>
> Paul
>

> PS: `luatools --generate` still does something. Is it deprecated and
> superseded by a `mtxrun` command?

no, luatools (or mtxrun --script base) sort of does what kpsewhich does
and as such it also generates a file database so luatools will stay as
shortcut

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE