* Accessing fonts
@ 2010-09-08 17:26 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-09-08 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can only load some fonts (like Fontin) that are in ~/texmf
or ~/.fonts if I load it using the file: directive. The name: directive
does not seem to work, even if the font is in ~/texmf directory.

As a result a lot of my old documents (which generally use typescripts or
simplefonts module by Wolfgang) have stopped working. I can fix things on
a case by case basis, but I wonder if others are also facing similar
problems and there is bug lurking somewhere that is platform dependent.

I am using 2010.09.05 on linux-64.

Aditya

* Re: Accessing fonts
@ 2010-09-08 18:39 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-09-08 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-9-2010 7:26, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can only load some fonts (like Fontin) that are in ~/texmf or ~/.fonts
> if I load it using the file: directive. The name: directive does not
> seem to work, even if the font is in ~/texmf directory.
>
> As a result a lot of my old documents (which generally use typescripts
> or simplefonts module by Wolfgang) have stopped working. I can fix
> things on a case by case basis, but I wonder if others are also facing
> similar problems and there is bug lurking somewhere that is platform
> dependent.

if you want named access, you need to add that path to the fontpath in
your cnf as then it will be added to the font database (that database is
not dynamicly adapting to trees that are scanned runtime)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Accessing fonts
@ 2010-09-08 18:51   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-09-08 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 8-9-2010 7:26, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can only load some fonts (like Fontin) that are in ~/texmf or ~/.fonts
>> if I load it using the file: directive. The name: directive does not
>> seem to work, even if the font is in ~/texmf directory.
>>
>> As a result a lot of my old documents (which generally use typescripts
>> or simplefonts module by Wolfgang) have stopped working. I can fix
>> things on a case by case basis, but I wonder if others are also facing
>> similar problems and there is bug lurking somewhere that is platform
>> dependent.
>
> if you want named access, you need to add that path to the fontpath in your
> cnf as then it will be added to the font database (that database is not
> dynamicly adapting to trees that are scanned runtime)

The contextcnf.lua file contains

         TEXMFHOME       = "$HOME/texmf", -- "tree:///$HOME/texmf
         TEXMF           =
"{$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFPROJECT,!!$TEXMFFONTS,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFCONTEXT,!!$TEXMFSYSTEM,!!$TEXMFMAIN}",

         OPENTYPEFONTS   = ".;$TEXMF/fonts/{data,opentype}//;$OSFONTDIR",

So, should I add two !! infront of $TEXMFHOME in $TEXMF (and $OSFFONTDIR
in $OPENTYPEFONTS) to ensure that $TEXMFHOME and $OSFFONTDIR are scanned
for names?

Aditya

* Re: Accessing fonts
@ 2010-09-09 21:58     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-09-09 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-9-2010 8:51, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> TEXMF =
> "{$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFPROJECT,!!$TEXMFFONTS,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFCONTEXT,!!$TEXMFSYSTEM,!!$TEXMFMAIN}",

these are indeed the ones scanned

> OPENTYPEFONTS = ".;$TEXMF/fonts/{data,opentype}//;$OSFONTDIR",

unless i'm wrong OSFONTDIR is scanned too (as are part in some
configuration xml file when present) .. these paths are reported when
you do mtxrun --script font --reload

> So, should I add two !! infront of $TEXMFHOME in $TEXMF (and $OSFFONTDIR
> in $OPENTYPEFONTS) to ensure that $TEXMFHOME and $OSFFONTDIR are scanned
> for names?

indeed, !! will force scanning

another option is to add $TEXMFHOME/fonts to OSFONTDIR

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE